Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Things that make you go.......WTF?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 97, 98, 99 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the belief is that rape is a crime about power, not procreating

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:09 pm

Wokko wrote:
think positive wrote:
yeah well humans are supposed to be a little more evolved

Even the West had this happen in Germany 1945 when Russian soldiers raped their way across Eastern Germany.

Wasn't that just payback for what the Germans did in Western Russia?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:37 pm

Yeah, partially (as if that's any justification!), but also because warfare generally destroys people's ability to empathise. War is a horrible, brutal thing, so it should be little surprise that soldiers who've been through that have the ability to turn that brutality onto helpless civilians.

TP, that—"rape is about power"—is one of the myths that the book dispels. Procreation may be the subconscious biological urge, but the common factor in most rapes is sexual desire.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:42 pm

When is War not a horrible brutal thing so it should be surprise that soldiers who've been that have the ability to turn that brutality onto helpless civilians?
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:38 pm

The sly suit wearing islamo-facist leader of Turkey on women. He is fast becoming increasingly exposed for sprinkling crazy powder on his breakfast cereal before he speaks: (another religious nutter)

"Turkish President Erdoğan says women’s equality with men ‘against nature’ "

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/turkish-president-erdogan-says-womens-equality-with-men-against-nature.aspx?pageID=238&nID=74726&NewsCatID=338

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:29 pm

watt price tully wrote:
The sly suit wearing islamo-facist leader of Turkey on women. He is fast becoming increasingly exposed for sprinkling crazy powder on his breakfast cereal before he speaks: (another religious nutter)

"Turkish President Erdoğan says women’s equality with men ‘against nature’ "

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/turkish-president-erdogan-says-womens-equality-with-men-against-nature.aspx?pageID=238&nID=74726&NewsCatID=338

Except men and women are not equal, and the more freedom and agency that a society gives to women the more 'unequal' and segregated men and women become, as was seen in Norway when trying to impose greater gender equality in some professions. Watch "The Gender Equality Paradox" to get some clues on the subject.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xp0tg8_hjernevask-brainwashing-in-norway-english-part-1-the-gender-equality-paradox_news

Now the real issue is Turkey isn't that men and women are 'equal' because they never will be, it's that the shit he says about equivalence etc is all bullshit because they treat their women like shit both as a society and culturally.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:28 pm

I don't think men and woman are equal, or that they should be. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses, and they should compliment each other. However, neither sex should be treated as a lesser being.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:30 pm

think positive wrote:
I don't think men and woman are equal, or that they should be. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses, and they should compliment each other. However, neither sex should be treated as a lesser being.

Exactly this.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:18 pm

This sounds like a semantic argument to me. Isn't the point here equality under law? Who would oppose that?
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:53 pm

David wrote:
This sounds like a semantic argument to me. Isn't the point here equality under law? Who would oppose that?

I don't see it as semantics, there is a huge divide between those who want total, full equality of outcomes and those who want equality of opportunity and as you say 'equality under the law'. Tearing down gender and gender roles is artificial, damaging and pointless, treating people with respect, free from discrimination and providing equality of opportunity and equality of rights is an absolute human right.

I doubt this guy is interested in the issue at all though TBH, considering Turkey's (apparent) record on women's rights. It's all well and good to revere motherhood and place that as the social pinnacle, but I somehow doubt those who choose something else are treated with equal respect.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:45 pm

This is very sad.

http://www.9news.com.au/world/2014/11/26/15/54/toddler-accidentally-shoots-dead-mother

Quote:
A young US mother has been accidentally shot dead by her three-year-old son as she changed her newborn daughter's nappy.

Christa Engles, 26, was tending to her one-year-old on Monday night when her toddler found the loaded gun under the couch and pulled the trigger, shooting his mother in the head.

The children's grandmother was the one who discovered the confronting scene.

"She came in and supposedly found the two children covered in blood," neighbour Vera Bennett told KOKI-TV .

Police said they found several guns in the home and that when they arrived the little boy kept repeating the words, "Mummy shot", according to the Inquisitr.

Mrs Engles was rushed to hospital but was pronounced dead on arrival.

Her husband, Brian Engles, is a truck driver who arrived at their Oklahoma home later that evening to learn of the tragedy. It's understood he used to be in the Army.

Upon learning of the tragedy, Mr Engles took to Facebook posting the message: "I lost my wife to an accident yesterday. Don't forget to tell you loved ones they are loved. You really never know when the last I love you really is the last."

Police have described the incident as a "horrible, horrible accident". No charges will be filed.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:45 pm

1061 wrote:
http://www.9news.com.au/world/2014/11/26/15/54/toddler-accidentally-shoots-dead-mother

If she was dead, why do we care about someone shooting her?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:47 pm

Just remember, the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:09 pm

When my daughter was 3 I wouldn't even leave a pen lying within reach, who leaves a loaded gun under a couch?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:18 pm

Wokko wrote:
When my daughter was 3 I wouldn't even leave a pen lying within reach, who leaves a loaded gun under a couch?

That was my thought process as well Wokko.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 97, 98, 99 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
Page 98 of 277   

Jump to: