Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Things that make you go.......WTF?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:18 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Wokko wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:
^ I suspect that we'll be saying something similar about our treatment of animals in years to come. Either way, surely you'd agree that the welfare of animals is slightly more important than that of wheat!

Where your argument falls down is that the black slaves were considered inferior, but reasonably quickly showed that given education they were just as intelligent as anyone else.

When you can teach a pig to read, write and speak at 3rd grade level I'll happily swear off bacon.

And yes, the welfare of animals is significantly more important than that of grains.

So you think it's ok to eat the retarded? Or babies? Or the demented elderly? Why does intelligence or cognitive ability predetermine the right to life?

FWIW I don't think egalitarianism is an inherently worthy philosophy but in the absence of a higher ideal it's probably the right way to look at most simple, non metasocial issues.

No, because as I've already explained, they're people. I'm using relative intelligence as a species as the measure.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:30 pm

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:
^ That's a great analogy, Wokko, and one I've considered before. We make so many half-hearted justifications for eating meat that simply don't logically hold when applied to other situations.

By the way, 12 days into the month and I still haven't eaten anything's flesh. It hasn't been easy. Crying or Very sad

(Lest I'm coming over at all preachy in this thread, I really don't intend to. Despite my current experiment, I still haven't made up my mind on the issue of eating meat—personally and generally—and I don't judge anyone who wants to. In any case, I was still eating copious quantities of chicken two weeks ago, so I'm no-one to judge. The only thing that pisses me off is intellectual timidity.)

Does that include Fish?

Yep, and all other seafood as well. My only real exceptions are stock for soups and gelatine. I know it's an arbitrary line, but not eating actual meat for a month is a big enough challenge.

Just on Wokko's question at the end of the last page, it's worth noting that some animals are more intelligent than human toddlers (e.g. an adult pig is apparently more intelligent than a 3-year-old child), so we can't even argue it on an intelligence level. What we can do is use a 'speciesist' humans-first argument. That actually makes the most sense to me, though I'm not sure what implications it should have on the decision to eat or not eat meat.

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:59 pm

Wokko wrote:
Here you go 3.14159, you can just pretend like these perfectly sane and grounded individuals.

in the mean time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDjHDmL3Kp0

Last edited by 3.14159 on Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:25 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Tannin wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
but if we didn't eat them they wouldn't exist. They would have died out.

^ This is a statement betraying truly monumental ignorance about the biological world.

Really? Do you think they would thrive?

Duh. Of course they would. How the hell do you think they managed to survive and thrive for millions upon millions of years? (Much longer than humans, in fact.) Did you think the world was populated by nothing but grass and cockroaches until God miraculously delivered brand new pre-packaged dehydrated inflatable goats, cattle, sheep, and chickens to Mesopotamia in 10,000BC using an Australia Post courier? Sheesh, this is an outlandish question with an answer so clear and obvious that it isn't even a question. Clive Palmer could probably get this one right.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:20 pm

They didn't thrive in their current form for millions of years, they've been bred to the point of dependence.

Also, the environments where they originally thrived before being domesticated have changed.

Personally, sheep in Australia would largely die out quickly in Australia if they had to rely on native vegetation to survive on, cows would have a limited range and chickens would be in deep shit.

You underestimate the amount of domestication these breeds have undergone over centuries and how ill adapted they are to many of the environments they find themselves in.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:22 pm

What happened to it?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:25 pm

HAL wrote:
What happened to it?

It kept humping a rock until the moss absorbed enough semen, became sentient and ate it.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:00 pm

David wrote:
I'm certainly not arguing with you that animals are inferior to us in most capacities. But I'm not sure that inferiority should necessarily translate to "worthy of being kept in cages and being killed indiscriminately". From an ethical point of view, does it matter how smart they are? That's not a rhetorical question, I genuinely don't know the answer. I'm probably not the right person to argue this. Where's Morrigu? Mr. Green

No it doesn't matter at all! What is " smart" - whose terms of references are we using to determine what " smart" is ?

We have sat at waterholes for hours in Africa and watched the community of critters - the elephants in particular who were so gentle with their young, who nurtured each other and greeted each other with wonderful tactile embraces and who mourned the loss of one of their own - to see them come across the bones of one of their kind deceased and the way they responded could teach the " clever" humans a thing or two!

Yet we " smart" humans kill them for ivory to make us useless " trinkets" Evil or Very Mad

Or the magnificent orangutans of Borneo - I defy you to go and observe these beautiful creatures and tell me they are "dumb" . Yet we " smart" humans destroy their environment and then capture them to provide entertainment or perform menial tasks or yum yum sell as bush tucker to cashed up f*wits Evil or Very Mad

Not people who who have traditionally eaten such to survive that is a different scenario - this is those who think it is " exclusive" so think it adds to their status ( note your dick is still WAY too small!)

" Smart" humans can make excuses for all their bad behaviour and greed based on their perceived entitlement and sense of superiority - that's why sad f*ckers continue to pimp and traffic children and poor women and there will always be a market as we " smart" humans with cash can buy and do as we please cause we are the smartest and we just can so na na na!

When you consider the way humans still treat their fellow humans - it is fairly obvious that our treatment and respect of any rights for animals is a long way down the list for so many.

Personally with every passing day I care less about humans - you reap what you sow!

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:05 pm

stui magpie wrote:
You underestimate

Nope. I am not "estimating", I am reporting known, verifiable facts.

stui magpie wrote:
They didn't thrive in their current form for millions of years, they've been bred to the point of dependence.

Sorry, wrong. Most domesticated species - and every single one of the species you mention in your post - are perfectly capable of surving in the wild. This is not "estimation", it is fact. Every one of those species you mention does survive in the wild, and has done for hundreds of years.

stui magpie wrote:
Personally, sheep in Australia would largely die out quickly in Australia if they had to rely on native vegetation to survive on

No. Vast herds of sheep in Australia today eat virtually nothing but native vegetation. In particular, I draw your attention to the huge rangeland areas where saltbush (various species but especially Atriplex nummularia) forms the main item on the menu. Almost the whole of south-western Victoria, like much of New South Wales, parts of Queensland, bits of Western Australia, and much of south-east South Australia) was covered in native grassland and woodland. The reason why Plains Grassland and Plains Grassy Woodland are the two rarest major Ecological Vegetation Classes in the state today - both have been almost entirely destroyed, with less than 1% remaining semi-intact - is that these habitats were ideal for sheep, not requiring any modification at all. Sheep, of course, were far from ideal for them: early graziers over-grazed so badly and so consistently that very little remains today, most of this once-beautiful country is now a 50/50 mix of imported pasture grasses and weeds. But make no mistake, until bad land management and appalling weed control led to their destruction, the Western Victorian Plains were brilliantly good sheep country. Feral sheep populations are scattered around the country, but tend to be small as they are easily rounded up and added to domesticated herds. Very closely related to sheep are goats, which are less herd-oriented and prefer more rugged country: both reasons make them so suited to survival in Australia that, despite endless and expensive efforts, they are impossible to eradicate.

Finally, sheep are native to Asia, not Australia. Even if it were true that they would "die out" here (which it is obviously not), that "fact" is irrelevant: the question is would they survive in their native land - which of course they can and do.

stui magpie wrote:
Cows would have a limited range

I presume you mean "limited" to most of Australia outside oceans, jungles, and deserts? So what? Feral cattle not only can survive in Australia (where they are in any case not a native species), they do survive, and have done for centuries despite efforts to round them up for both commercial and land management purposes.

stui magpie wrote:
chickens would be in deep shit.

Still wrong. The domestic chicken, more properly known as the Red Junglefowl, is once again not native to Australia but is perfectly capable of surving in self-sustaining feral populations here given suitable habitat. (Their native country is the tropical jungles of south-east Asia, and still-wild populations remain there to this day.) Although most habitats here are not well suited to them, Wild Red Junglefowl - all of them descended from domestic chickens - are uncommon but nevertheless present in Australia.

stui magpie wrote:
Also, the environments where they originally thrived before being domesticated have changed.

No. The environments where they originally thrived have not "changed". Very little natural change has occurred in the ten-thousand-odd years since the first of these species was domesticated. Humans, however, have destroyed a great many of these environments. The environments didn't change, selfish, ignorant human beings changed them, mostly to the point of destruction. But these are adaptable, resourceful species. They can and do cope with all sorts of destruction and change - as witness their persistent success as wild feral inhabitants of even this buggered-up and (from their evolutionary point of view) very strange and unfamiliar continent.

As you can see, the claim that these creatures could not and would not exist without us is transparently false. The reverse, however, is unquestionably true. We certainly could not have developed civilisation as we know it, or indeed civilisation of any kind at all, without the domestication of plants and animals such as wheat, flax, sheep and chickens. Nor could we survive in one one-thousandth of our current numbers without them. In short, it is not only untrue that these creatures could not exist without us, we could not exist without them.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:52 pm

Tannin wrote:
lots of stuff

Told!

I'd add to that list horses, camels, cats, rats and pigs that all thrive as feral/wild animals in Australia. Very few domesticated species would die out if we didn't eat/use them. At worst their population would be drastically lowered because nobody would purposefully overbreed them, but they'd still survive.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:59 am

Just saw a surfer on telly cast hunks of meat (roast sized) from his surf board, at a shark, and then the shark towed him round the bay! $£$%^%%$ nutcase!

Myth not busted!

Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:43 am

This driver's attitude, more concerned about the damage to her car then the guy she hit.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/i-just-dont-care-texting-pplate-driver-hits-cyclist-20140416-36qyl.html
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:12 am

They should crush her phone inside her car.

Dumb bitch

ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:21 pm

think positive wrote:
They should crush her phone inside her car.

Dumb bitch

This is a case where the Police should keep her phone, with sim, as evidence. The magistrate also needs a kick in the arse. How about 5 years without a licence. One hopes the cyclist sues civilly and she has to sell her car and phone.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:56 pm

^ Reading between the lines, I'm guessing that's how they worked out that she was texting while driving—must have gone through her phone records. How else would they know?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
Page 68 of 277   

Jump to: