Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Things that make you go.......WTF?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 267, 268, 269 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:08 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Not to trivialise this tragic incident – and I hope that nobody from here has friends or loved ones caught up in it – but I was gobsmacked by this line (bolded) towards the end of an article in The Guardian about the fatal volcanic eruption on White Island:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/dec/10/i-dont-have-any-hope-whakatane-mourns-after-white-island-eruption

Quote:
The mayor of Whakātane, Judy Turner, said she would continue to support tourism on White Island, despite Monday’s tragic events. But with the death toll likely to climb, due to some of the injured being severely burned, hers is a sentiment that is finding little traction.

“At the time they went out [the eruption alert] was a level two, and in the matrix of things that is not considered a high reading ... they have been out numerous times at that level,” Turner said, appearing to defend the tour company’s decision to take 47 people to the island, despite weeks of increased activity.

“You’ll be aware that tourism is significant for our local area. We are aware there are questions and you can be assured ... that at the appropriate time we will answer the questions that need to be asked.”

However, many local residents told the Guardian they have felt unease about the tours for years. Some local Māori say the island, viewed as an ancestor by many, erupted as a sign of protest at too many visitors, too many boats.

Okay ... so what? I trust that we all know that volcanic eruptions aren't actually caused by too many visitors, and that assigning any sentience to a volcano is mere superstition; yet the newspaper seems to be presenting it as a valid alternative viewpoint. It's not as bad, perhaps, but it reminds me of that Christian preacher who blamed Black Saturday on Victoria's abortion laws. I'm not saying it's wrong to report those views, but surely it's essential to frame them properly. I certainly don't think it belonged in this news article.

Why? Surely news articles include the writers opinion to a point?

I have to admit to having a piece of me that worries about the Karma of the Gods!

The WTF for me is, having been on a few cruises, why that excursion was offered. You book these things often from home, so you don’t really know what your booking. It can be hit and miss, especially since most cruise lines don’t have a review section on the excursions pages. The tour guide is heard saying on tape ithad been rumbling for 2 weeks, just crazy to take a bunch of tourists into the crater, Hell, onto the island. I know for a fact if I’d been on that cruise it is something I would have wanted to do.

And it’s New Zealand, not Bali or somewhere. I remember vividly quad bike riding in the hills in Bali, it was so ridiculously dangerous! High powered bikes, plastic helmets, no dress code, no steel capped boots, shorts and t shirts all around, on steep roads with crumbling edges, and big drops. A couple of Kim’s in I wanted to get my precious child the hell out of there, never forgiven myself for putting her at risk. I would have taken her on that crater tour, no question. What a horrible way to die, hopefully it was instant.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:05 pm

^

Unfortunately I very much doubt it would have been instant. Quick, but long enough for the pain and situation to register before lights out. Sad

You're right, shit way to die.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:22 pm

tens of thousands of 10 inch Penis fish wash up on a beach.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/12/14/us/fat-innkeeper-worms-california-beach-scn-trnd/index.html

Not a great time to go lay on the beach, unless that's sort of your thing.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:33 pm

^ Fitting that they washed up in California Razz
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:21 pm

When I saw penis fish, I thought it was going to be about the candirú Shocked

https://allthatsinteresting.com/candiru

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:57 pm

just pooped around to post some cards, saw a little old lady huddled in the doorway of the milk bar. I said are you ok? clearly she wasnt, so i said hop in ill give you a lift. She hops in and says can i take her to the school about a k up the road, i said ill take you home. she told me she had to get her kids, and im like WTF?? she looked70! She tells me shes no good in the heat, had a double aneurysm, i said well you shouldnt be out in this heat, she tells me it was a long while ago, the drugs didnt help and i didnt realise i was pregnant! then shes says shes 40 but feels 60! my jaw was on the ground by this stage! i gotta tell ya i havent felt this young in a long time! scary, bloody scary!
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:12 pm

Great thing you did, but my bullshit detector is pinging at her story Confused
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:31 pm

I'm sure that's not all that was pinging in that story.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:47 pm

Maybe She was grandma! She walked into the school and 2 ladies said hi to her! It was weird! And maybe not so smart, but she was clearly distressed!
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:43 pm

Probably not the smartest thing you've ever done, but it was a good thing. You put yourself out there and helped someone where I likely wouldn't have.

Regardless of her story, you did good.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:50 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Probably not the smartest thing you've ever done, but it was a good thing. You put yourself out there and helped someone where I likely wouldn't have.

Regardless of her story, you did good.

cheers mate!! thanks Wink

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:14 pm

Taking freedom of religion to a different level?

Quote:
A Muslim Uber driver refused to drive an elderly couple home from their local RSL because they were carrying a Christmas ham they had just won.

Marion Archibald, 66, and her husband Peter, 76, booked an Uber to take them home after winning a ham in a raffle at the Seaford RSL, in Melbourne‘s south, on Tuesday night.

But when the driver arrived and saw the couple was holding the large ham, he refused to take them home due to his religious beliefs.

Despite not being taken home by the Uber driver, Mr and Mrs Archibold were still charged their $10 fare.

FFS, no one asked him to eat it, just carry it in the boot of the car. Confused

https://newsfeeds.media/melbourne-muslim-uber-driver-refuses-to-take-home-couple-christmas-ham-they-won-at-an-rsl/

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:33 pm

WTF! A couple lost their bakery over not making a gay cake, this prick should lose his taxi!
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:43 pm

Dream come true for the Daily Mail: Muslims behaving badly and The War on Christmas!

In all seriousness, of course the ham-wielders should have either been given their ride or passed on to the next driver at no cost. But it’s much more fun to have something to get outraged over, I say.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:15 am

David wrote:
Dream come true for the Daily Mail: Muslims behaving badly and The War on Christmas!

In all seriousness, of course the ham-wielders should have either been given their ride or passed on to the next driver at no cost. But it’s much more fun to have something to get outraged over, I say.

So it’s ok to force someone to make a cake, but not someone else to carry shopping? Who knows how long the next taxi or Uber would be?

This is still a Christian country,(not that that matters but it is) even though I no longer buy it, ham is a legal product, therefore he discriminated against the customer. Forno good reason. They ordered the car, they waited, and got turned away for the most ridiculous reason. If he feels that strongly, he can go back to his pig free country. Ifhes an Aussie he should abide by Aussie rules and laws. No law against ham. .

Andfuck thathappy holidays shot! If your offended by our countries traditions, **** off! Try being offended by Muslim tradition in a Muslim country, they won’t tell you to **** off, they make you!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 267, 268, 269 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
Page 268 of 277   

Jump to: