Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Things that make you go.......WTF?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 228, 229, 230 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:54 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I guess I read between the lines that the officers were party to it, guess we have to see if they keep their promise
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:07 pm

While I'm happy to see barbarity punished, there does seem to be a strange double standard with these things. Kill enemy soldiers in a cruel and unnecessary way and you (rightly) get court martialed. Drop a bomb on an enemy target, taking a few civilians out as 'collateral damage', and that's just war.

Anyone who thinks the latter is less cruel, have you ever seen the aftermath of a bombing?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:17 pm

^

Comes down to intent. I think we've had this conversation before, several times. It's like a version of your trolley car fetish.

Run over people in the trolley because you're having a bad day or because they did something bad to you, ungood.

Run over 3 people in the trolley so 100 others can live, justified.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:27 pm

I think that's a fair distinction – strategy vs revenge – but it still seems a strange one in war. Besides, for all the propaganda, there are many cases of revenge killings by western military. Osama comes to mind.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:34 pm

Bin laden was never going to be taken alive. He would have seen Saddam death. Wasn't there reports he had a gun?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:36 pm

I think it's more correct to say that they had no intention of taking him alive. In any case, I think it came out eventually that he was unarmed.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/former-soldier-claims-osama-bin-laden-was-unarmed-and-already-dead-or-dying-when-navy-seals-burst-8091766.html

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:44 pm

Is there a difference between killing a criminal mastermind and his foot soldiers? I think there is. He wasn't tortured either, right between the eyes the first shot. Dead or dying? So shoot him in the chest to put him out of his misery. On a side note, I've been to ground zero, I'm glad he's dead.

The other story is different, they were already either captured or surrendered.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:47 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

Comes down to intent. I think we've had this conversation before, several times. It's like a version of your trolley car fetish.

Run over people in the trolley because you're having a bad day or because they did something bad to you, ungood.

Yes, it's really not that hard. On Your logic, David, there seems no moral difference between the invasion of Normandy in 1944, with inevitable civilian casualties, and killing enemy combatants after they have surrendered ? I'm not trying to be cute, but that seems to be what you're suggesting ? If so, that seems very odd to me.

As for bin Laden, I think you'll see the difference after a few minutes reflection, but let me suggest some lines of thinking for you :

1. Had bin Laden surrendered ?
2. Were the circumstances those of combat ?
3. Were there unique political considerations attached to the bin
Laden capture and a US trial which made the idea of his arraignment and incarceration under US law uniquely problematic ?

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:49 pm

David wrote:
I think it's more correct to say that they had no intention of taking him alive. In any case, I think it came out eventually that he was unarmed.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/former-soldier-claims-osama-bin-laden-was-unarmed-and-already-dead-or-dying-when-navy-seals-burst-8091766.html

Without reading the article, I'm sure there was zero intent to take him alive. That would have involved locking him up, getting him healthy and putting him in front of courts while all the time acting as a rallying point for his cause.

Bullet to the head, far preferable.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:51 pm

Mugwump wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^

Yes, it's really not that hard. On Your logic, David, there seems no moral difference between the invasion of Normandy in 1944, with inevitable civilian casualties, and killing enemy combatants after they have surrendered ? I'm not trying to be cute, but that seems to be what you're suggesting ? If so, that seems very odd to me.

As for bin Laden, I think you'll see the difference after a few minutes reflection, but let me suggest some lines of thinking for you :

1. Had bin Laden surrendered ?
2. Were the circumstances those of combat ?
3. Were there unique political considerations attached to the bin
Laden capture and a US trial which made the idea of his arraignment and incarceration under US law uniquely problematic ?

I don't mind you arguing that it was a special case, as long as people accept that it was effectively an assassination.

As for WW2, there were a lot of things that the Allies did that would rightly be considered war crimes today but were accepted as a necessary fact of war at the time. I suspect that the real lesson to take from this is that, necessary or not, war can never be anything but cruel and barbaric. Rules of engagement probably help make it a little less so, though by defining morality around them we set up a dichotomy (of 'good' and 'bad' wartime behaviour) that is only loosely related to real-world consequences.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:59 pm

Not just the Allies, take a look at the crimes of the Japanese and Germans just for a start.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:04 pm

^ of course war is cruel and barbaric, David, but that is so obvious that I scarely see the point of saying it.

One of the great problems of war is that it is almost impossible, in advance, to know which wars were worth fighting, and on what terms. I am increasingly sceptical, for instance, that Britain was wise to fight in either the First or the Second World War, though these assertions are themselves unprovable. More controversially, I think the First World War probably presented a more reasonable casus belli for Britain than the Second. The commitment given to Poland was a massive strategic error.

Bin Laden was the killing of a murderous combatant, and in the uncertain context, a secure surrender was virtually inconceivable. If you call that an assassination, I think that term becomes far too elastic.

Last edited by Mugwump on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:07 pm

Mugwump wrote:
^ of course, but that is so obvious that I scarely see the point of saying it.

One of the great problems of war is that it is almost impossible, in advance, to know which wars were worth fighting, and on what terms. I am increasingly sceptical, for instance, that Britain was wise to fight in either the First or the Second World War, though these assertions are themselves unprovable. More controversially, I think the First World War probably presented a more reasonable casus belli than the Second.

Bin laden was the killing of a murderous combatant. If you call that an assassination, I think you are being too elastic with terms.

I guess I don't like my grandfathers side being tarnished without pointing out the evil of the opposition, cheers

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:23 pm

This seems like one of the inevitable consequences of war – no side is left untarnished.

That's not to assert any kind of equivalence between, say, Dresden and Manchuria, of course, but if we need to accompany any discussion of our side's atrocities with a reference to the greater sins of the other side then I suspect we're using the latter as a crutch to avoid uncomfortable truths. The most dangerous thing about that approach is that every side has its own kind of whataboutery – "yes, but what about what the Americans did?" – and that soon leads to apologism and endorsement of brutality.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:24 pm

The nazis did the Holocaust. Nuff said on them.

The japanese were only behind them on volume and selection process and possibly ahead on sheer cruelty (possibly)

They both set a fairly low bar, I'd like to think our actions, while some may have been poor at times, weren't able to crawl under that bar.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 228, 229, 230 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
Page 229 of 277   

Jump to: