Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Things that make you go.......WTF?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 222, 223, 224 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:56 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
5150 wrote:
Longest triple post ever!
Still shorter than anything by 35 forever....

A+ moderation skillz. Embarassed

Once is too much to read, let alone three times! Can you paraphrase it!

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:02 pm

Morrigu wrote:
mandy wrote:
Who the **** hands out headphones as gifts to their wedding party anyway?

#SchapelleMk2

Yep who the fck buys headphones in some shop in Colombia and doesn't check what's in the package before getting on a plane Shocked

Exactly what I just posted in the thread about it (hadn't seen these).

And even less believable Morrigu - she didn't get them from a shop - they were from 'some guy' she met a few days earlier who said he could get her a good deal. Laughing Laughing He sure did!
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:15 pm

^ Shocked ah even stupider!!

Oh well play stupid games win stupid prizes Smile

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:14 pm

think positive wrote:
David wrote:
5150 wrote:

I think you can safely skim through it. Just a profile on Aly and what he does and doesn't want to achieve with his TV gig. Comes off as humble and thoughtful, nothing like the "arrogant worm" others see him as.

It's also telling that even the staunchly right-wing Australian thinks there's a strong racial component to the vitriol he cops.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:42 pm

Ta muchley! Cheers
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:09 pm

So, how does this work? A couple of weeks ago, the "oldest person in the world" died at the age of 115 or 116. Today, the "oldest person in the world" died in Indonesia at age 146.

Do people age faster as they get older or what?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:35 pm

Haha, this topic has always fascinated me.

Basically, the answer is that these people are competing in two different leagues: one is 'verifiable' and one isn't. The former group only includes people whose birth and death dates can be properly certified, and is listed in the Guinness Book of Records; the latter group basically incorporates any random old person's claim in a village in the middle of nowhere, and tends to be the subject of news stories in the British red-top tabloids and their ilk.

Because claiming to be outrageously old seems to be something of a sport in parts of the developing world, I think we can safely presume that many of these claims to old age are severely inflated and falsified.

If there's a downside to the official table, however, it's that its standards for verification are so high that nobody from the developing world ever could qualify, particularly given the standards of documentation that were around in places like India and Indonesia 100+ years ago. That's one of the reasons why most of the people in the official old-age list hail from places like the US, France and Japan.

So it's entirely possible that people, even including some of the subjects of these Daily Mail and Pravda stories, have lived longer than anyone on the verified list. But the oldest age that we can conclusively say anyone has lived to is 122, the age at which Frenchwoman Jeanne Louise Calment died in 1997. Nobody else is known to have lived to see their 120th birthday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanne_Calment

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:39 pm

I was with Pierre at Borodino, too, you know.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:05 pm

David wrote:
think positive wrote:
David wrote:
5150 wrote:

I think you can safely skim through it. Just a profile on Aly and what he does and doesn't want to achieve with his TV gig. Comes off as humble and thoughtful, nothing like the "arrogant worm" others see him as.

It's also telling that even the staunchly right-wing Australian thinks there's a strong racial component to the vitriol he cops.

Interesting.

I watch him on the project and i only remember he's muslim when he talks about it. For me it's generally a non factor, I just take him on face value

BTW, I read the whole article.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:48 pm

^ I suspect that's how he wishes most people thought about him!
ronrat 

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:55 pm

David wrote:
Haha, this topic has always fascinated me.

Basically, the answer is that these people are competing in two different leagues: one is 'verifiable' and one isn't. The former group only includes people whose birth and death dates can be properly certified, and is listed in the Guinness Book of Records; the latter group basically incorporates any random old person's claim in a village in the middle of nowhere, and tends to be the subject of news stories in the British red-top tabloids and their ilk.

Because claiming to be outrageously old seems to be something of a sport in parts of the developing world, I think we can safely presume that many of these claims to old age are severely inflated and falsified.

If there's a downside to the official table, however, it's that its standards for verification are so high that nobody from the developing world ever could qualify, particularly given the standards of documentation that were around in places like India and Indonesia 100+ years ago. That's one of the reasons why most of the people in the official old-age list hail from places like the US, France and Japan.

So it's entirely possible that people, even including some of the subjects of these Daily Mail and Pravda stories, have lived longer than anyone on the verified list. But the oldest age that we can conclusively say anyone has lived to is 122, the age at which Frenchwoman Jeanne Louise Calment died in 1997. Nobody else is known to have lived to see their 120th birthday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanne_Calment

The Dutch would not have bothered with recording Javanese births. Many of the Indos converted to muslim from Dayak etc because the Dutch missionaries wouldn't allow them to marry in Christian churches. If the story is true though the cloves smokes marketers will have a field day.

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:25 pm

Trying to see this psychic medium a friend raves about. Said to book, go to the website, enter your details & when you're available & they'll get back to you. Obviously the more available you are the sooner you'll get an appointment.

Sent the email, said I'm available any day (switch RDO) and every evening. My reply came that they're fully booked for 2017 & 2018 and opening the 2019 appointments the end of this month!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

I'll be expecting AMAZING things by the time I actually get there! AND I don't even know what it's costing me yet!
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:22 pm

luvdids wrote:
Trying to see this psychic medium a friend raves about. Said to book, go to the website, enter your details & when you're available & they'll get back to you. Obviously the more available you are the sooner you'll get an appointment.

Sent the email, said I'm available any day (switch RDO) and every evening. My reply came that they're fully booked for 2017 & 2018 and opening the 2019 appointments the end of this month!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

I'll be expecting AMAZING things by the time I actually get there! AND I don't even know what it's costing me yet!

Why do you need to give your availability? If they're that good, surely they already know? Razz

Anyway, this is a real WTF. A batch of Bombay Saphire Gin is being recalled in Canada for being too strong. 77% rather than 40%

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2017/05/04/gin-recalled-being-too-boozy/101278218/

Quote:
An isolated consumer complaint triggered the recall and the company is conducting a review of its third-party bottler.
What idiot complained? Shocked Confused
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:27 pm

^ jeepers, 77% is brake fluid territory. That's seriously dangerous. But perhaps I might try a small martini made from it anyway...
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:18 pm

^

I've got some Jacques Senaux Absinthe. 4 bottles of different colour, the black is 80%, the Blue is 78%

makes some serious shots. Wink Razz

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 222, 223, 224 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
Page 223 of 277   

Jump to: