Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Things that make you go.......WTF?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 213, 214, 215 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:14 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

swoop42 wrote:
What's up with this weather?

It's turned to Summer in Autumn with continuous 30 degree days.

lovin it! the pool is like a nice warm bath!!

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:25 pm

swoop42 wrote:
What's up with this weather?

It's turned to Summer in Autumn with continuous 30 degree days.

We could do with some rain.

Some rain would be nice but i'm enjoying the warm weather. Warm days, cool enough to sleep at night, bloody perfect. Very Happy

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:29 am

swoop42 wrote:

Happy now! Fricken jinx!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:28 am

Thank god for that!
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:51 am

The Greens.....

Greens make call for a four-day working week

"A four-day work week or a six-hour day might actually make us happier and create more opportunities for others, not to mention reducing the costs of full-time child care."

https://thewest.com.au/news/australia/greens-make-call-for-a-four-day-working-week-ng-b88416854z

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:09 pm

^ That makes you go 'WTF'? It makes me go 'yes, about time'.

What with the rapid increase in mechanisation, all we'll probably soon be working 3 or 4 day weeks whether we like it or not. I know looking at the big picture or beyond the week's talking points is politically unfashionable, but that doesn't mean that we should criticise a party for thinking ahead.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:12 pm

In what way?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:12 pm

David wrote:

What with the rapid increase in mechanisation, all we'll probably soon be working 3 or 4 day weeks whether we like it or not. I know looking at the big picture or beyond the week's talking points is politically unfashionable, but that doesn't mean that we should criticise a party for thinking ahead.

Really?

Try looking at the big picture without blinkers on.

Demand is growing for access to goods and services 7 days per week.
Not many people are going to happily take a 20% pay cut to work 4 days instead of 5, and you aren't going to get the same pay unless you work more hours on those 4 days.

Whose jobs is this increased mechanisation going to take?
Dr's?
Lawyers?
Nurses?
Police?
IT professionals?
Call centre staff?
Retail and Hospitality workers?

Unemployed people have plenty of time to spend with their families. They just don't have any money to do anything in that time.

Stupid idealistic comment from the Greens, mind you a Doctor can afford to work 3 days per week.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:32 pm

think positive wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

Happy now! Fricken jinx!

We got nothing zilch zero nada in the valley.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:48 pm

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:

Really?

Not many people are going to happily take a 20% pay cut to work 4 days instead of 5, and you aren't going to get the same pay unless you work more hours on those 4 days.

Dr's?
Lawyers?
Nurses?
Police?
IT professionals?
Call centre staff?

Unemployed people have plenty of time to spend with their families. They just don't have any money to do anything in that time.

Stupid idealistic comment from the Greens, mind you a Doctor can afford to work 3 days per week.

Obviously pay rates would need to go up to compensate, or else you'd need something like a universal basic income scheme.

As for which jobs are most likely to be threatened, I presume we've been reading the same articles. This is a good summation:

http://www.mckinsey.com/business-functions/digital-mckinsey/our-insights/where-machines-could-replace-humans-and-where-they-cant-yet

Short-sighted idealism is thinking that our current approach to work is sustainable. Something's going to need to fundamentally change or automation is going to have some very serious consequences.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:57 pm

Obviously pay rates would need to go up..... Rolling Eyes

Hello....Reality calling.....anyone home?

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:37 pm

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:

Really?

Dr's?
Lawyers?
Nurses?
Police?
IT professionals?
Call centre staff?

Obviously pay rates would need to go up to compensate, or else you'd need something like a universal basic income scheme.

As for which jobs are most likely to be threatened, I presume we've been reading the same articles. This is a good summation:

http://www.mckinsey.com/business-functions/digital-mckinsey/our-insights/where-machines-could-replace-humans-and-where-they-cant-yet

Short-sighted idealism is thinking that our current approach to work is sustainable. Something's going to need to fundamentally change or automation is going to have some very serious consequences.

Is the correct response a general resurgence of Ludditism?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:42 pm

^

he's a typical millennial who doesn't understand this has happened before and is happening now.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:27 am

No, a typical millennial who can read and is aware that – whatever the parallels to previous periods of mass automation and industrialisation – this actually hasn't happened before, and that it is a topic currently under serious discussion by a great many experts in the area.

As for your remark about pay rates, there are of course many unknowns here – but given the basic principle of greater production and fewer production costs (robots being cheaper than people to employ, naturally), I don't see it as necessarily out of the question that workers could be paid roughly the same amount they are now for less work. It's not rocket science: if, as many people think, the amount of work available for humans starts to dwindle, societies need to find a way to maintain a decent standard of living for its citizens. They'll either succeed by increasing hourly pay rates, reducing living costs, paying people for doing nothing, or (insert your solution here), or else things aren't going to be pretty.

But yeah, let's dismiss the Greens as a joke for considering such questions and return to discussing non-delusional topics like how Donald Trump is going to resurrect the coal industry.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:24 am

Maybe all the robots can work Sundays! How will this work? Will every day be the same? I actually think it's not a bad idea, work share, but a lot would have to change. Mans greed being one. All those self service checkouts have not raised supermarket wages one cent, it has just reduced the amount of staff they have to pay, and increased profits. I don't think the farmers are getting anything extra for good will. all the kafiffle about ridiculous house prices etc, (yes I know it's out of control) lowering expectations to where they used to be for a start, all the young things borrowing too much because they want to start with a 'second' quality house straight off, and brand new cars and furniture, and still take the overseas trips! If we went to a four day week, people will just want to get paid extra for working the fifth day, or be working 2-3 jobs.

I just can't see Telstra, Coles, power companies, banks etc, paying higher wages to make it work. He obscene salaries the CEO gets depends on the bottom line. It's all £$%$ed up, too far gone. How do we start again.

And WTF are you doing posting at 4am!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 213, 214, 215 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
Page 214 of 277   

Jump to: