Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Things that make you go.......WTF?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 212, 213, 214 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Pi wrote:
Rolling Eyes i'm waiting for the transgender lesbian dwarf in a wheel chair icon

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2017/03/07/07/45/melbourne-lobby-group-pushes-for-gender-equal-traffic-light-icons/?ocid=9newsmfb

The Richmond one was cute, I guess, but anyone pushing this as a serious social issue might need a slightly more meaningful cause to get behind.

Here's the group behind it, by the way. You know what they say about committees...

http://melbourne.org.au/about-us/who-we-are

yep. What is a camel?

Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:08 pm

David wrote:

The Richmond one was cute, I guess, but anyone pushing this as a serious social issue might need a slightly more meaningful cause to get behind.

Here's the group behind it, by the way. You know what they say about committees...

http://melbourne.org.au/about-us/who-we-are

lol, Im temped to send them suggestions for all sorts of stuff, you could really have have some fun with them. If I can con them into manufacturing usless stuff ill be rich , rich i tells ya Smile

bucksisgod Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:29 am

luvdids wrote:
WTF is this 8 ball I keep seeing on facebook? If it's meant to signify something it hasn't been very well publicised.

Its about prostate awareness apparently. Very worthy cause. I give it two thumbs up.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:38 am

bucksisgod wrote:
luvdids wrote:
WTF is this 8 ball I keep seeing on facebook? If it's meant to signify something it hasn't been very well publicised.

Its about prostate awareness apparently. Very worthy cause. I give it two thumbs up.

It was bad enough when it was one finger up.

regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:38 am

Quote:
The Catholic church is ‘shocked’ at the hundreds of children buried at Tuam. Really?
Emer O'Toole guardian 8.3.17

Quote:
COMMENT
SMH March 6 2017
Don't write Tony Abbott off yet: he's the only plausible candidate to fill the void
Tom Switzer

Really?

Quote:
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity. Yeats
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:42 am

Mugwump wrote:
[quote="bucksisgod"][quote="luvdids"]WTF is this 8 ball I keep seeing on facebook? If it's meant to signify something it hasn't been very well publicised.[/quote]

Its about prostate awareness apparently. Very worthy cause. I give it two thumbs up.[/quote]

Do you make money from it?
bucksisgod Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:51 am

Mugwump wrote:
bucksisgod wrote:
luvdids wrote:

Would be alot worse if the doctor was checking and you could see both his hands Shocked Laughing

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:04 am

Mugwump wrote:
bucksisgod wrote:
luvdids wrote:

You guys are such sooks Rolling Eyes Wink

If no one knows about the 8 ball being for prostate awareness, how can it bring any awareness? I'm sure there's just a whole bunch of people thinking that snooker must be really taking off.
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:53 pm

I don't use facebook so this might not be the same thing....

Guys can buy a ball thing which is placed in their toilets and urinated on - The idea behind them is that guys who don't have a powerful enough stream to sink the ball should get their prostates checked. I think the money raised from the sales goes back into Prostate cancer research.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:26 pm

bucksisgod wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
bucksisgod wrote:
luvdids wrote:

Would be alot worse if the doctor was checking and you could see both his hands Shocked Laughing

One reason why i see a female GP.

the other is "small hands" Razz

Bucks5 wrote:
I don't use facebook so this might not be the same thing....

Guys can buy a ball thing which is placed in their toilets and urinated on - The idea behind them is that guys who don't have a powerful enough stream to sink the ball should get their prostates checked. I think the money raised from the sales goes back into Prostate cancer research.

After about 6-8 beers I could sink a battleship Wink but i still get the moon river every few years

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:19 pm

regan is true fullback wrote:
Quote:
The Catholic church is ‘shocked’ at the hundreds of children buried at Tuam. Really?
Emer O'Toole guardian 8.3.17

Read about so bloody terrible, not just babies, up to three years old, WTF indeed, shouldn't be to late to prosecute ever

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:57 pm

^ well, maybe TP - but if I read this correctly, the grave probably carries the remains of 796 children who died between the years of 1925 and 1961 : 22 deaths per year. I do not know whether that is a high death rate or not, compared to the rest of Irish society in that period, and relative to the number of children who passed through the institution, their condition on entry, how many were stillbirths or post-natal, epidemics in the period, etc.

I yield to no one in my distaste for the Catholic Church in Ireland - it reflected, and shaped, a society and a state that was often hard, cold, cruel, punitive and violent. I am pleased it was exposed and I am far from convinced that it has been sufficiently punished for its negligence and tolerance of child sex abuse.

.... But the only thing that this (heavily-slanted) article really substantiates is that burials were not properly carried out. Death certificates were clearly made out, so there was no attempt to hide the deaths themselves. That does not mean that crimes were, or were not, committed (my surmise would be that, yes, neglect and death were institutionalised here). But the article seems to be some kind of personal grievance or opinion piece masquerading as reportage, with very little analysis to support its implications. So far, so Guardian. It'[s an echo chamber, not a newspaper. I guess the clicks follow the echoes.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:42 pm

Mugwump wrote:
^ well, maybe TP - but if I read this correctly, the grave probably carries the remains of 796 children who died between the years of 1925 and 1961 : 22 deaths per year. I do not know whether that is a high death rate or not, compared to the rest of Irish society in that period, and relative to the number of children who passed through the institution, their condition on entry, how many were stillbirths or post-natal, epidemics in the period, etc.

I yield to no one in my distaste for the Catholic Church in Ireland - it reflected, and shaped, a society and a state that was often hard, cold, cruel, punitive and violent. I am pleased it was exposed and I am far from convinced that it has been sufficiently punished for its negligence and tolerance of child sex abuse.

.... But the only thing that this (heavily-slanted) article really substantiates is that burials were not properly carried out. Death certificates were clearly made out, so there was no attempt to hide the deaths themselves. That does not mean that crimes were, or were not, committed (my surmise would be that, yes, neglect and death were institutionalised here). But the article seems to be some kind of personal grievance or opinion piece masquerading as reportage, with very little analysis to support its implications. So far, so Guardian. It'[s an echo chamber, not a newspaper. I guess the clicks follow the echoes.

Ah ok the guardian can be quoted if it's what you want to hear, and trashed if it isn't, I get it. How about the BBC

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39192744

The Irish mirror

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/order-nuns-dumped-up-800-9979348

Or any of the other sources

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=tuam+babies&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-au&client=safari

Yep nothing to see here, just a bunch of babies and children dumped in a sewer like trash,according to one of the articles, one every two weeks, and a don't consider a sewer an acceptable grave site,

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:51 pm

^ TP, I'm not sure you read what I actually wrote.

The BBC article is an excellent study in contrast vs the Guardian article.

The BBC article presents the facts, and the relevant political response - including, quite properly, the need for inquiry to establish the facts behind the discovery.

The Guardian article is (as so often in this paper) a personal response to the issue which more-or-less presumes the inquiry has already taken place. Read the two together, and you will see what I mean. One is news, the other an emotional response (almost a rant) which pretends to be news, but is mostly interpretation and opinion. Tabloid journalism with correct grammar.

The BBC article notes that the skeletons range from premature babies to three years old. I do not know how many prem babies there were, but I'd expect that, sadly, prem babies died very frequently in 1925-1950, and this was a place where young women went when they were expecting a child, so it is possible that there were a lot of births there. So - is this a large number, and does it reflect institutional cruelty and neglect of the living child ? Or is it a story about callous burial practices in an institution which reflected the wider society's desire to keep dreadful secrets ? Both are quite possible.

My point is that everyone - even an institution as mottled in corruption as the Irish Catholic Church - deserves to be judged on facts, not emotions first. We shall only achieve justice, including for these poor children, if we get this right.

None of that defends the Irish Church or the bleak Ireland of de Valera. I have little time for either.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:39 pm

What's up with this weather?

It's turned to Summer in Autumn with continuous 30 degree days.

We could do with some rain.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 212, 213, 214 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
Page 213 of 277   

Jump to: