Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Things that make you go.......WTF?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 175, 176, 177 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:07 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

think positive wrote:
Junior goes to Vic Uni Footscray campus, she rocked up last week and they have changed all the toilets. No warning, no vote, nothing. All the toilets are unisex. Unisex with enclosed toilets and doors, (the previously female) or unisex with urinals. What utter bullshit. Maybe change a couple, but you should still have a choice. Apparently most are still using the ones they used to. I told junior to use the disabled if she's not comfortable with it.

How about if they do it in shopping centres? What if you get a gang of thugs in the ladies? Talk about intimidating.

Wrong just $£$%^%%$ wrong. Genuine transgender can use their, um, new gender toilet, so why is. This necessary?

ICAN tell you now if I was shopping and there was guys in the toilets, I'd use the disabled one. Sue me!

What's the problem, really? You can still go into the stall and lock the door.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:02 pm

After walking the gauntlet on a gang of men. How about a woman wanting to clean off the back of her dress after a period leak? You wet the spot in the sink and use the dryer.
Why did it need to change for a minority group? Or at least why change all of them?
How about taking photos over the top of the stall?
How about I'm just not comfortable with it?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:15 pm

I've been a male for around 27 years and I can't ever recall seeing a gang of men hanging out in a public toilet. Generally speaking, we don't tend to stick around any longer than we need to. Laughing

(re: period stains, I sympathise, but is it really so much more embarrassing if a man sees that as opposed to another woman? Any man who has been in a relationship with a woman has seen it all before.)

I'm guessing this policy at the university probably came into force because of hardcore queer/feminist student politicians who think that gender needs to be a thing of the past, not trans advocates. I may be wrong, but I can't think of any other reason.

Edit: this is from the Wikipedia page on unisex toilets:

Quote:
All-Gender restrooms are designed to ensure that restrooms are fully accessible to all members of society. While the issue of gender inclusive restrooms has been raised as an equity and human rights issue for people who identify outside of the gender binary, eliminating gender segregation in bathrooms also benefits disabled populations who may have attendants of a different gender, parents with children, and anyone who may need additional assistance using public toilet facilities. For gender-variant people and others who identify or are perceived to be outside the gender binary, A-Gender restrooms can eliminate discrimination and harassment for people who may be perceived to be in the "wrong" bathroom. One survey of transgender populations conducted in Washington, DC- based survey, by the group DC Trans Coalition, "found that 70 percent of survey respondents report experiencing verbal harassment, assault, and being denied access to public restrooms." It also found that "54 percent of all respondents reported having some sort of physical problem from trying to avoid using public restrooms, such as dehydration, kidney infections, and urinary tract infections" making access to safe restrooms a public health issue.

Personally, I'm in favour of unisex toilets (if for no other reason than giving women who don't want to queue up another option!), but think it's probably fair enough if men's and women's toilets are still offered for people who don't feel comfortable mixing with the opposite sex. And obviously trans people should still feel free to use the 'right' bathroom.

Last edited by David on Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:19 pm

How thoughtful.
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:53 pm

I've been a female for 30+ *ahem* years and have never had to clean anything from a period leak. A woman ought to take better care so it doesn't happen in the first place. I've never seen anyone trying to do it either.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:00 pm

^ To be fair, it happens to a lot of people and I hardly think it's anyone's fault if it does. I'm guessing it's more of an issue for women who don't/can't use tampons and have heavier flows.
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:08 pm

Who are these lots of people? I've never heard of it happening, to anyone. Never seen it needing to be taken care of either. If a woman has a heavy flow, she needs to change more frequently.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:42 pm

luvdids wrote:
I've been a female for 30+ *ahem* years and have never had to clean anything from a period leak. A woman ought to take better care so it doesn't happen in the first place. I've never seen anyone trying to do it either.

Auto correct loves you, changed the 4 to a 3

the first time a girl gets her period, she has no idea it's coming.

Periods when they first start can be notoriously irregular.

(I remember seeing one of my kids friends after school and giving her my jumper to tie around her waist, she had no idea, and was grateful I'd seen it before she walked through the school grounds)

Periods when you quit contraception can be notoriously irregular.

Periods after a baby can shock you in their heaviness.

Periods during perimenopause, in my personal experience, can be gone for months, then come back in a tsunami like flood when you least expect it (like going to the toilet just before the Neil diamond concert starts and discovering it's a good thing you wore dark jeans and a long top.) with absolutely no symptoms. I never suffered from PMT or cramps, so I have no idea when it's coming. I've had 2 periods in the last 6 months, do you suggest I jam in a tampon every day just in case?

But hey what do I know?

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:47 pm

Fair enough, didn't say it doesn't happen, just hasn't to me or anyone I know & never heard of it happening. If it does, so be it.

And yes, finally a decent & worthwhile auto correct.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:52 pm

There's nothing wrong with unisex toilets, they just need to be designed properly rather than just refitting and old design.

For one, you can't have urinals in a unisex toilet. I have no problems standing shoulder to shoulder at the piss trough but I know a few who do get stage fright and have to use a cubicle. That would only be exacerbated by having females walking in when men are standing there with dicks out, not sure if that would be overly comfortable for anyone.

The problem then becomes space. To do unisex toilets properly you have to get rid of the communal handbasins and make each cubicle larger, with floor to ceiling walls, a proper door with a handbasin and mirror in the cubicle. That takes more space and space is at a premium at places that support a large population.

The MCG Dunnys downstairs in the Ponsford have two female and one male area. With the need to put in cubicles in the female one vs having the whole wall of the mens one large piss trough means that despite allocating twice the space to women, you'd only be able to get half as many women as men using the toilet at any one time.

My last work location had two toilets for 60 people, each set up as above. They were unisex but each was it's own self contained small bathroom. Zero problems.

Just changing the labels on the doors for existing facilities designed differently for males and females and now calling them "Unisex" is lazy, dumb and will cause problems.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:02 pm

David wrote:
I've been a male for around 27 years and I can't ever recall seeing a gang of men hanging out in a public toilet. Generally speaking, we don't tend to stick around any longer than we need to. :lol:
***** sometimes a lady likes to duck into the loo to escape unwanted male attention, wether harassment or a bad date! I like that option!

(re: period stains, I sympathise, but is it really so much more embarrassing if a man sees that as opposed to another woman? Any man who has been in a relationship with a woman has seen it all before.
)******* yes it is, especially for teenage girls, it's mortifying. Not every male is as liberal or kind as you David, there are many that would never let the girl live it down. Hell I've seen girls do it to other girls.

I'm guessing this policy at the university probably came into force because of hardcore queer/feminist student politicians who think that gender needs to be a thing of the past, not trans advocates. I may be wrong, but I can't think of any other

e****** no idea, neither junior or any of her friends received notice of the change, the new signs just appeared. Junior says everyone tends to just use the toilet they used to.

Edit: this is from the Wikipedia page on unisex toilets:

Quote:
All-Gender restrooms are designed to ensure that restrooms are fully accessible to all members of society. While the issue of gender inclusive restrooms has been raised as an equity and human rights issue for people who identify outside of the gender binary, eliminating gender segregation in bathrooms also benefits disabled populations who may have attendants of a different gender, parents with children, and anyone who may need additional assistance using public toilet facilities. For gender-variant people and others who identify or are perceived to be outside the gender binary, A-Gender restrooms can eliminate discrimination and harassment for people who may be perceived to be in the "wrong" bathroom. One survey of transgender populations conducted in Washington, DC- based survey, by the group DC Trans Coalition, "found that 70 percent of survey respondents report experiencing verbal harassment, assault, and being denied access to public restrooms." It also found that "54 percent of all respondents reported having some sort of physical problem from trying to avoid using public restrooms, such as dehydration, kidney infections, and urinary tract infections" making access to safe restrooms a public health issue.

Personally, I'm in favour of unisex toilets (if for no other reason than giving women who don't want to queue up another option!), but think it's probably fair enough if men's and women's toilets are still offered for people who don't feel comfortable mixing with the opposite sex. And obviously trans people should still feel free to use the 'right' bathroom.
absolutely, a transgender is legally a member of the sex they changed too, and should feel comfortable peeing with their own sex, I'm not even sure how they come into the debate?

The unisex toilets in public now are different, it's a seperate locked cubicle, directly off the street, not a room with cubicles with shit locks, if they work at all! Sometimes they don't, and you prop on the toilet and hold the door closed with a toe! I've also taken a loaded trolley to the last toilet and peed with the door open, I'm not doing that if John smith might be walking by.

Fine be trendy, progressive, what ever you want to call it, but that doesn't mean you take away what the majority were happy with. I just asked junior and she said that all the females she is in class with think it's disgusting, they are not comfortable with it. And they should have had a say in it.

Tomorrow I'm going to contact the school and ask why they did it, junior is uncomfortable with it, and her gay friend is very uncomfortable with it. I'll let you know what they say

Last edited by think positive on Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:06 pm

stui magpie wrote:
There's nothing wrong with unisex toilets, they just need to be designed properly rather than just refitting and old design.

For one, you can't have urinals in a unisex toilet. I have no problems standing shoulder to shoulder at the piss trough but I know a few who do get stage fright and have to use a cubicle. That would only be exacerbated by having females walking in when men are standing there with dicks out, not sure if that would be overly comfortable for anyone.

The problem then becomes space. To do unisex toilets properly you have to get rid of the communal handbasins and make each cubicle larger, with floor to ceiling walls, a proper door with a handbasin and mirror in the cubicle. That takes more space and space is at a premium at places that support a large population.

The MCG Dunnys downstairs in the Ponsford have two female and one male area. With the need to put in cubicles in the female one vs having the whole wall of the mens one large piss trough means that despite allocating twice the space to women, you'd only be able to get half as many women as men using the toilet at any one time.

My last work location had two toilets for 60 people, each set up as above. They were unisex but each was it's own self contained small bathroom. Zero problems.

Just changing the labels on the doors for existing facilities designed differently for males and females and now calling them "Unisex" is lazy, dumb and will cause problems.

Exactly.

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:06 pm

^ Yes. Despite my previous posts, which were a bit irrelevant probably, I would prefer not to share a bathroom with males.
If it's a single cubicle/room unisex loo, fine, that's what we have at work. If there's a number of cubicles for either sex then no, count me out. Can't even give a decent explanation as to why, I'd just prefer not to.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:07 pm

think positive wrote:
[quote="stui magpie"]There's nothing wrong with unisex toilets, they just need to be designed properly rather than just refitting and old design.

Just changing the labels on the doors for existing facilities designed differently for males and females and now calling them "Unisex" is lazy, dumb and will cause problems.[/quote]

Exactly.
What shall we talk about now?
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:08 pm

The problem with the whole Transgender thing TP is that someone who hasn't changed at all can say they 'identify' as a gender and are now allowed into the women's bathrooms. So Dirty Joe the peeping tom just strolls into change rooms or toilets says "I'm a woman you bigot" and starts getting his rocks off. If you try and stop him going in there then you're the evil one. It's not until he actually does something that some action can happen, and if that something is molesting or sexual assault then the damage is done.

The issue isn't a trans woman in the womens toilets, it's bad legislation stating that anyone of any biological sex can use any toilet.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 175, 176, 177 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
Page 176 of 277   

Jump to: