Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Things that make you go.......WTF?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 166, 167, 168 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, shit job by a so called teammate to do this through Twitter rather than just call Alice and talk to her.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:51 pm

Wokko wrote:
I would doubt that any significant number of those who feign offence at blackface would even know what a minstrel show is or be able to tell you who Al Jolsen was. They've been told that blackening your face is bad and that's all they need to hear.

I wouldn't think there'd be enough people left alive who'd even seen a minstrel show to get offended by it to bother with this as an issue.

I think you underestimate how much people know about this topic, particularly in the US. I was well aware of what blackface was and what it represented when I was a teenager, and that was on the other side of the world. I'd be astonished if the history of minstrel shows and African-American exclusion from Hollywood wasn't taught in every junior high school in America.

Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:37 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Also, shit job by a so called teammate to do this through Twitter rather than just call Alice and talk to her.

In this case there is also the issue of Liz Cambage still being angry with her teammates regarding their response to her being absent from Opals training late last year.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:49 pm

I fully understand the history of why Blackface makeup has shitty connotations in the USA. British comedians also used a variation to take the piss out of Indians back in the 60's and even 70's.

However, I don't buy into the argument that it always has to be offensive.

If it's done with intent to demean or ridicule, then by all means call it out.

If it's done in an attempt at flattery, to dress up to pretend to be someone famous, then you try to copy the distinguishing physical characteristics of the person. Hair, skin colour, dress style are all things you'd want to copy.

Ben Kingsley shaved his head to portray Ghandi. Did he also wear makeup to darken his skin?

Robert Downey Jr wore blackface in Tropic Thunder and got away with it, so obviously context can count. http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a4792/tropic-thunder-0808/

The culture of taking offence is unfortunately growing and it undermines legitimate change efforts.

David Libra

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:44 pm

I agree that the idea of it just being blanket wrong in every scenario is going too far. Anyone condemning John Safran for darkening his skin for an episode of his show (I still have no idea how he did that) would be going way over the top, and obviously some uses of blackface function as satire and/or political commentary and should be treated with more nuance, at least. People have even used this argument to condemn non-disabled actors playing disabled people, as if nobody in the world has the right to portray someone who isn't the same 'kind' of person (which leads us down a pretty ridiculous dead end).

But to be honest, I'm kind of astounded that anyone in an English-speaking country could stand in front of a mirror applying dark make-up for a fancy dress party and not think for a moment that someone might take it the wrong way. It's like casually dropping the 'n-word' in conversation; I thought it was just one of those things that everybody knows you just don't do (whether such blanket taboos are useful is another question).

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:19 pm

^

The history of Blackface and it's connotations is a particularly USA thing, as is the ongoing racism over there and all the shit it brings. It's hardly surprising that a mid 20's Australian athlete doesn't understand that it's suddenly taboo in a country that has no obvious bad history with it.

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:49 am

David wrote:
But to be honest, I'm kind of astounded that anyone in an English-speaking country could stand in front of a mirror applying dark make-up for a fancy dress party and not think for a moment that someone might take it the wrong way.

So how would you dress up as, say, Stevie Wonder?
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:07 am

^ it would be racist not to have darkened skin, it would basically be saying you like everything about Stevie Wonder except his skin colour.

Last edited by What'sinaname on Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:11 am

You like everything about Stevie Wonder except his skin color.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:41 am

What'sinaname wrote:
^ it would be racist not to have darkened skin, it would basically be saying you like everything about Stevie Wonder except his skin colour.

Guess you just have to avoid black people to emulate

Working out well for the Oscars!

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:09 pm

What'sinaname wrote:

Exactly!!!
David Libra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:37 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

The history of Blackface and it's connotations is a particularly USA thing, as is the ongoing racism over there and all the shit it brings. It's hardly surprising that a mid 20's Australian athlete doesn't understand that it's suddenly taboo in a country that has no obvious bad history with it.

Suddenly taboo? Surely you're not serious. Shocked

Even if we're only talking recent history, surely everyone remembers the Hey Hey It's Saturday shit-storm from 5 or so years ago. And as it happens, there is a history of blackface in Australia:

http://www.creativespirits.info/aboriginalculture/arts/black-face-minstrel-shows#axzz413KRuLjK

In regards to the Stevie Wonder question, why would he even make for a good fancy dress subject if it wasn't for his skin colour and his sunglasses? How would you dress if you wanted to go as Paul McCartney to a fancy dress party? You probably wouldn't, because it'd be a crap idea.

The only reason you'd go as most black performers is if you considered turning yourself black to be funny in its own right. Which is fair enough; maybe it is. But if it's also likely to be hurtful to African-Australian and Aboriginal people, then maybe it wouldn't hurt to try a different outfit.

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:19 pm

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^

Even if we're only talking recent history, surely everyone remembers the Hey Hey It's Saturday shit-storm from 5 or so years ago. And as it happens, there is a history of blackface in Australia:

http://www.creativespirits.info/aboriginalculture/arts/black-face-minstrel-shows#axzz413KRuLjK

In regards to the Stevie Wonder question, why would he even make for a good fancy dress subject if it wasn't for his skin colour and his sunglasses? How would you dress if you wanted to go as Paul McCartney to a fancy dress party? You probably wouldn't, because it'd be a crap idea.

The only reason you'd go as most black performers is if you considered turning yourself black to be funny in its own right. Which is fair enough; maybe it is. But if it's also likely to be hurtful to African-Australian and Aboriginal people, then maybe it wouldn't hurt to try a different outfit.

Yes, I remember that skit, which is why I mentioned on the previous page.
These people were impersonating Michael Jackson, doing the moonwalk etc. Again, my same question that nobody has answered - how do you impersonate a black person without blackening yourself????

It's the same as the ridiculous outcry when Sam Newman painted himself black to impersonate Nicky Winmar (think it was Winmar...?) - how the hell can you impersonate a black person without being black?

It's like trying to impersonate the Queen without a british accent.

Maybe the world should just put a blanket ban on fancy dress parties or impersonating anyone for any reason.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:53 pm

luvdids wrote:
David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^

Yes, I remember that skit, which is why I mentioned on the previous page.
These people were impersonating Michael Jackson, doing the moonwalk etc. Again, my same question that nobody has answered - how do you impersonate a black person without blackening yourself????

It's the same as the ridiculous outcry when Sam Newman painted himself black to impersonate Nicky Winmar (think it was Winmar...?) - how the hell can you impersonate a black person without being black?

It's like trying to impersonate the Queen without a british accent.

Maybe the world should just put a blanket ban on fancy dress parties or impersonating anyone for any reason.

Hahahaahha yep!

Except the Michael Jackson one-he bleached his face so he was pretty white at the end. Probably a bit mottled!

King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:15 pm

I think it's a sad day when someone needs to be "educated" to let them know what they've done was "racist".
In this particular case specifically, if anyone thinks that girl had any intent whatsoever to be "racist", then they're either being mischievous or intentionally daft.

If people are offended by someone painting their face brown to portray a famous rapper because they draw a link to the historical connotations of blackface, then who am I to tell them they're wrong??
But at the same time, if people do not draw the same link and just see her dressing up as Kanye West without delving any deeper, then that's ok too.

It's ok that people see the world differently.

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 166, 167, 168 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
Page 167 of 277   

Jump to: