Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Things that make you go.......WTF?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 144, 145, 146 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:36 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's more the overuse in the media. I'm not sure how the criminal law categorises these things, I assume the media take their cue from the police press releases.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:25 pm

OK. I just got an email trying to blackmail me. Shocked

Email from some douche called Jamesy Granovsky telling me he's hacked my details from the Ashley Madison website and I have to pay 1 bitcoin or he's going to publish all the details. Confused

It's likely it's just Spam although I did register on that site a few years ago, had a look round for a while then left again. I have NFI what my login or password was and CBF trying to go through the process of figuring it out.

So I forwarded the email to the local Police to have a look at. I'm not bothered if this dickhead does find old dating profiles and makes them public, (maybe the publicity would help Razz ) but it's still a blatant attempt at blackmail which the last time I checked was against the law.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:29 pm

stui magpie wrote:

Email from some douche called Jamesy Granovsky telling me he's hacked my details from the Ashley Madison website and I have to pay 1 bitcoin or he's going to publish all the details. Confused

It's likely it's just Spam although I did register on that site a few years ago, had a look round for a while then left again. I have NFI what my login or password was and CBF trying to go through the process of figuring it out.

So I forwarded the email to the local Police to have a look at. I'm not bothered if this dickhead does find old dating profiles and makes them public, (maybe the publicity would help Razz ) but it's still a blatant attempt at blackmail which the last time I checked was against the law.

It'd just be random spam email, probably from overseas, just fishing for idiots.
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:34 pm

stui magpie wrote:

Did you have to tell the police you were a member once upon a time?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:38 pm

Duuno.

I just forwarded them the email and said it was FYI, I don't want to make a formal complaint, just bring it to their attention.

It is probably just a phishing exercise. 1 Bitcoin is around $450 AUD, so it's not a way to get rich quick, but I'd reckon if someone was dumb enough to pay up the next message they got would be asking for more money.

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:40 pm

I wouldn't even know how to go about getting one of these Bitcoins.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:42 pm

Sorry to hear that Stui. Hope you sent him a polite email telling him to go @#$& himself at the same time.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:42 pm

I've never tried but I think you can buy them. The other way is to "mine" them but I think you need a degree in IT and applied Maths to be able to do that.
npalm 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:18 pm

This article in today's Age sums up my WTF reaction to UFC.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/boxing/ufc-193-ronda-rousey-not-the-only-one-knocked-out-by-sundays-events--how-has-it-come-to-this-20151115-gkzpqe.html

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:26 pm

^

I must confess that a part of UFC I don't like is that punching a person in the head once they've been knocked to the ground.

Pin em, or go for a submission hold maybe, but not that.

npalm 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:47 pm

The video is sickening. Rousey was kicked in the head when she was already stunned from a prior punch.
She was then punched in the head two or three times again after she collapsed to the ground.

Let's not pretend this is a sport. It's primitive brutality.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:41 pm

Your lack of understanding is what's on display here. You are allowed to hit a grounded opponent because quite often that opponent is quite aware and capable of finishing you from that very position. A fight goes on until the referee steps in to stop it, if the ref is slow then someone may take 1 or 2 extra hits, but most fighters are pulling punches by that point waiting for the ref to come in. When someone just stops because they think its over, sometimes the opponent recovers, the ref doesn't stop the fight and the fighter who would've won with one or two more ground strikes has to start over.

In MMA there is no standing 8 count or 10 count for the KO, it's either stopped, or it isn't. This leads to MMA fighters taking MUCH less punishment than boxers and has lead it to be a very, very safe sport.

Here's a fighter on top of a grounded opponent, had just been hitting him and is tapped out by him:

Here's the 'comeback' aspect I spoke of:

Now, in Boxing after a hit like that a fighter is stood up, the ref gives them an 8 count, they recover and continue to get hit in the head over and over... tell me what you think is worse, one hit after a KO because a ref is a bit slow or a ref giving a fighter enough time to recover on his feet in order to keep taking punishment?

Don't let ignorance decide your opinion, be informed. If you simply 'don't like it' then that's fine, ignore the sport and don't watch it.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:56 pm

I understand exactly why and how it happens, I just don't like that part of it.

I get it's the ref's job to step in, but seeing someone punching someone to the head while the're on the ground just doesn't work for me.

I like the skill, the combination of striking and grappling but I just don't like that bit.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:18 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I understand exactly why and how it happens, I just don't like that part of it.

I get it's the ref's job to step in, but seeing someone punching someone to the head while the're on the ground just doesn't work for me.

I like the skill, the combination of striking and grappling but I just don't like that bit.

Fair enough, happy to agree to disagree on that point. In the Rousey fight, it's fair enough for the ref to giver her a chance to recover because an early stoppage is far worse in the long term for a fighter (and the ref will cop a huge serve in the press) than 2 punches.
npalm 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:41 pm

You say that its a safe sport. That's a bit hard to believe when I see some-one getting punched and kicked in the head.
Are there any record\stats on the long term brain damage suffered by MMA fighters?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 144, 145, 146 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
Page 145 of 277   

Jump to: