Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Round 5 - Williamstown vs Collingwood at Point Gellibrand

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:09 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

MagpieBat wrote:
Jezza wrote:
How did Fasolo, Russell and Sinclair all perform as well?

From my limited view of the game, I don't think I saw Sinclair's name called more than 4 or 5 times after half time. Mason bandied about this stat about Sinclair having "16 1%ers" in the first quarter or so, but you won't hear a bad word about a Collingwood player on the LiveChat, so make of the number what you will. For mine, I'd rather play Yagmoor on current form than see #28 in the seniors ever again, but that's just me.

Russell turned a fair bit of it over, including from kick-outs. Needs an extended run in the reserves unless the injuries get so bad that we just have to play him.

As for Fasolo, well, he did a couple of nice things, even made a great run-down tackle at one point (yes, you read that right, he tackled someone). Was clearly underdone at senior level, but that doesn't excuse how lazy he was also. I think a few more weeks at VFL level is the reality check he needs, as well as the match fitness he requires; we brought him back WAY too soon. But of course, that bloody injury curse could put paid to those plans...

For comprehensive analyis, I recommend the posts of our very own mattys123 and BigFooty poster SchuPie (as well some others) over here:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/vfl-round-5-collingwood-vs-williamstown-burbank-oval-sunday-2pm-link-to-live-chat-in-op.1003143/page-8

(the reviews start at SchuPie's post about half way down the page, and then the other reviews go on from there)...

I see the comments there about Gault not being a backman. I'd agree. He's a forward. But I'm guessing he's being played back to teach him defence.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:11 pm

Didn't Gault play some good footy when moved to defence late last year though?
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:46 pm

^ If I recall correctly, Gault was thrown down back last year simply because we ran out of backmen at VFL level (Keeffe and Harltey out of the VFL team with injury, while Tarrant, Reid and Brown were all in the seniors). That, and because we were carrying all those bloody useless ruckmen who had to play as forwards.

I reckon Gault would be a handy solution to our current problems in the seniors, when Lynch goes into the ruck. Gault could play as that 3rd tall who can also ruck, which would mean that we don't have to play Witts as that forward target. Would allow Q-Stick and Cloke to be those targets inside forward 50...

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:11 pm

He's got good height and good agility, he's basically a very tall midfielder. Wing or half forward is his natural spot but nothing wrong for long term planning making him play back for a while as a learning curve.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:43 pm

MagpieBat wrote:
Jezza wrote:
How did Fasolo, Russell and Sinclair all perform as well?

From my limited view of the game, I don't think I saw Sinclair's name called more than 4 or 5 times after half time. Mason bandied about this stat about Sinclair having "16 1%ers" in the first quarter or so, but you won't hear a bad word about a Collingwood player on the LiveChat, so make of the number what you will. For mine, I'd rather play Yagmoor on current form than see #28 in the seniors ever again, but that's just me.

Russell turned a fair bit of it over, including from kick-outs. Needs an extended run in the reserves unless the injuries get so bad that we just have to play him.

As for Fasolo, well, he did a couple of nice things, even made a great run-down tackle at one point (yes, you read that right, he tackled someone). Was clearly underdone at senior level, but that doesn't excuse how lazy he was also. I think a few more weeks at VFL level is the reality check he needs, as well as the match fitness he requires; we brought him back WAY too soon. But of course, that bloody injury curse could put paid to those plans...

For comprehensive analyis, I recommend the posts of our very own mattys123 and BigFooty poster SchuPie (as well some others) over here:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/vfl-round-5-collingwood-vs-williamstown-burbank-oval-sunday-2pm-link-to-live-chat-in-op.1003143/page-8

(the reviews start at SchuPie's post about half way down the page, and then the other reviews go on from there)...

Thanks for the summary MB Smile

It sounds like all three players are nowhere near returning to the side. It's actually good in a way as players like Fasolo have been on easy street for far too long. This might be the tough love he needs to find his magic again. He's been playing like a glory hunter far too often lately instead of doing the one-percenters.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:45 am

stui magpie wrote:
He's got good height and good agility, he's basically a very tall midfielder. Wing or half forward is his natural spot but nothing wrong for long term planning making him play back for a while as a learning curve.

Agree, looks a natural midfielder or forward. Certainly wont hurt his development to get some defensive experience as long as it doesn't cruel his confidence.

At the moment, we're a little light on for alternatives which doesn't help his case to move upfield. The return of Keeffe & Hartley will help. The potential lose of Frost doesn't.

I think the fact we had this kid developing on our list was half the reason the club didn't grab Stewart as a FS.
scoobydoo 

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:05 am

Hey MB, I was checking out the stats from the

game & it says the hitouts were 84/19 in Willys favour.

Would that be correct??

By the way, thanx for all the updates, very much,
appreciated.
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:49 am

jackcass wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Agree, looks a natural midfielder or forward. Certainly wont hurt his development to get some defensive experience as long as it doesn't cruel his confidence.

At the moment, we're a little light on for alternatives which doesn't help his case to move upfield. The return of Keeffe & Hartley will help. The potential lose of Frost doesn't.

I think the fact we had this kid developing on our list was half the reason the club didn't grab Stewart as a FS.

Gault actually played as midfielder as a junior. Then, once he reached the under 18s, he hit a sudden 10cm growth spurt and came back as a forward/ruckman.

I still think he would provide us with a handy option in that "mobile forward/relief ruck" role...

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:57 am

scoobydoo wrote:
Hey MB, I was checking out the stats from the

game & it says the hitouts were 84/19 in Willys favour.

Would that be correct??

By the way, thanx for all the updates, very much,
appreciated.

Shocked

Where'd you get those stats? VFL website doesn't have them up yet... Confused

In any event, Wood wasn't playing against a proper ruckman. He had Greenhough and Richmond for opponents. Put any one of Hudson, Grundy or Witts in there instead and it becomes a proper contest.

But then again, I would expect Wood to be capable of beating work-experience kids in the ruck, for that is the ceiling of his abilities...

And thank you, it was my pleasure.

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:14 pm

Mitch Hahn's review:

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2013-05-07/hahns-vfl-player-review

Fire Up Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:23 pm

shae said via fb that wood had 50 hit outs. which would explain the huge difference, but didnt mention it was against kids
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:30 pm

Fire Up wrote:
shae said via fb that wood had 50 hit outs. which would explain the huge difference, but didnt mention it was against kids

Shae Who????

Yeah Shae said it was against player 10cm smaller than him either

Fire Up Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:21 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Fire Up wrote:

Shae Who????

shae mac. (american pie) former pies rookie player
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:23 pm

Fire Up wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
Fire Up wrote:

Shae Who????

Oh That Hack

Fire Up Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:27 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Fire Up wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
Fire Up wrote:

Shae Who????

Oh That Hack

Laughing Laughing Laughing hack.

he got payed $100,000+ a year for doing basically nothing for 3 years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10   

Jump to: