Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The 2013 NFL Thread

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:22 pm
Post subject: The 2013 NFL ThreadReply with quote

Much of the the free-agency movement is finished, the Pack have extended Clay Matthews' contract (and are thinking of robbing a second bank so they can also extend A-Rod's), the NFL draft is on next Thursday and the season schedule has just been released:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/schedule

The season proper kicks off on Thursday, 5 September (Friday, our time) with Flacco and the boys trying to put Peyton Manning's Broncos to the sword in Denver and on the Sunday (Monday, our time), the 49ers host the Pack.

Only 3 and a half months to go!
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:30 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Just crazy:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000162196/article/new-york-jets-trade-darrelle-revis-to-tampa-bay-bucs

All the Jets ended up getting for Revis was a 2013 1st rounder (13th overall) and a 2014 4th rounder (which may become a 3rd rounder if certain conditions are met).

The mind boggling part is what the Buc's are paying him $96 million over 6 years, that's @ $16 million per year Shocked . It's makes him the highest paid CB in the history of the game. Given the fact he's 27 years old and coming off an ACL that's a massive investment and an even bigger chunk of their salary cap spent for the next 6 years.

OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:57 am

On Clay Matthews contract....well my view is his agent should be jailed for Grand Larceny, $13 million per year for a LB that is an above average blitzer, an average field tackler, average run stopper, and a poor pass defender.

Basically their paying him for his pass rushing prowess.

Given what GB are paying Matthews I can only guess what AR is going to get, my guess would be in the vicinity of $30 million a year at least (I mean if Romo can get $120 million over 6 years with $52 million guaranteed and he's not a great QB). Personally I don't know where GB are getting the salary cap space but hey that's why they pay their accountants so much.

On the Romo contract my view on it is:

a) the Cowboys looked ahead and realised their weren't any franchise QB's in this draft or the next few and decided it was better the devil you know so they signed Romo, and

b) by seriously over paying him they've ramped up all the other league QB contract that are currently being negotiated of soon will be, meaning teams like GB, Atlanta, San Fran, etc are going to be paying huge money for their QB's and using up cap space they wanted to save.

OR

c) the front office of Dallas need psychiatric evaluating as their obviously off their rockers.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:59 pm

OEP wrote:
On Clay Matthews contract....well my view is his agent should be jailed for Grand Larceny, $13 million per year for a LB that is an above average blitzer, an average field tackler, average run stopper, and a poor pass defender.

Basically their paying him for his pass rushing prowess.

Given what GB are paying Matthews I can only guess what AR is going to get, my guess would be in the vicinity of $30 million a year at least (I mean if Romo can get $120 million over 6 years with $52 million guaranteed and he's not a great QB). Personally I don't know where GB are getting the salary cap space but hey that's why they pay their accountants so much.

On the Romo contract my view on it is:

a) the Cowboys looked ahead and realised their weren't any franchise QB's in this draft or the next few and decided it was better the devil you know so they signed Romo, and

b) by seriously over paying him they've ramped up all the other league QB contract that are currently being negotiated of soon will be, meaning teams like GB, Atlanta, San Fran, etc are going to be paying huge money for their QB's and using up cap space they wanted to save.

OR

c) the front office of Dallas need psychiatric evaluating as their obviously off their rockers.

Thanks for your thoughts, OEP. I hope you'll post us some commentary on the draft, as you did last year. I found that very informative and I expect that others did too.

I don't mind Romo. I think they've thrown too much money his way but - being kind about it - he doesn't too too badly for a QB playing behind an offensive line made mostly out of melted brie.

As for the Pack, my take on the off-season strategy from this distance is that it looks something like "pay your best defender and starting QB whatever you have to to keep them, off-load or retire everybody else who might not prove to be worth the contract they're on, hope to hell that the 2012 defensive team draftees all suddenly start playing like Lambert and Greene and - come draft day - close your eyes and make a big wish." I'm sure that isn't the strategic plan - but it looks that way.
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:01 am

I think this years draft could be a very interesting one with a number of teams looking for franchise QB's even though there are none in this draft (including Geno Smith), which might mean you see QB's (like Geno Smith) being taken in the 1st round instead of the 2nd or 3rd rounds. If this happens the end result could be that the smarter teams get some real bargains.

Also there in this draft there is some massive depth at DL, CB, DB, and Safety meaning teams want have to rush for a decent player and can sit pat waiting for the cards to fall with the teams desperate for players in positions with less depth, then move up or down the draft as required to secure players they may not have been available otherwise.

San Fran has been heavily linked with Tavon Austin with some experts believing they intend to move up the draft board to secure his services. Personally I hope this doesn't occur because the need for defensive players of high quality is greater at the SS, CB and DL. With Boldin coming into the fold and Crabtree finally showing his All-Pro abilities, plus A.J.Jenkins (hopefully being able show his skills), also Manningham and Williams coming back off ACL's the 49ers are well placed for depth at the position. Plus they could pick up a decent depth WR in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

If the 9ers want to really go nuts and dramatically trade up then I hope they go for either Star Lotulelei or my defensive player wet dream Sharrif Floyd Wink

Anyway only 2 days to go and I feel confident at the end of this years draft there's going to be some real talking points.

Funkadelic 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:33 pm

I really like Dion Jordan, OLB from Oregon. Dude moves like a shark. Where do you see Dion going?
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:43 am

Funkadelic wrote:
I really like Dion Jordan, OLB from Oregon. Dude moves like a shark. Where do you see Dion going?

Laughing Laughing That's scary I was just doing some research on him Shocked Shocked

Most mock drafts completed by the experts have him going within the top 3 picks, but also more than quite a few have him in the "boom or bust" bracket.

The guy has freaky talent but his production at the lower levels doesn't correspond with those skills, his numbers are more those of someone in the mid-range of ability.

I guess the question is will a team look past his production and focus on his ability alone because if they do he'll be gone within the top 10 picks, but if teams look at those stat's I can see him fall to the bottom end of the first round or possibly the top of the second round.

He's one of those guys who within 3 years could be classed in the elite bracket or all-time greatest busts bracket.

I'll take the middle ground and say he'll go to the New Orleans Saints at pick 15. They need a OLB with speed and he has it in spades. Personally I think Arthur Brown is a far better prospect than either Jordan, Jarvis Jones, Mingo, and definitely Te'o who are all projected to be taken before him. In fact Brown is slated for the end of the first or the beginning of the second round, which is an absolute bargain.

As I said before this draft, in my opinion, is going to produce a lot of first round busts - Dion Jordan, Manti Te'o, Geno Smith or Ryan Nassib.

Funkadelic 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:21 pm

Thanks for that OEP. I saw geno smith with John Gruden on his QB camp, seems like when things go bad they go real bad. E.J Manuel was on mike an mike yesterday he's a big unit 6 4 225, he's been invited to the draft so they think he could go round 1
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:55 pm

My view on this years crop of QB's is that it's full of NFL backup QB's. That's to say you don't want them to start for you but if your QB got a short term injury you'd be happy for them to take the reigns until your starter returns.

Most young QB's coming from the colleges are brash and force the ball into areas they shouldn't, but that's a symptom of the system their function in. College football is all about big plays, entertaining the young, teen fans...not like the NFL which is mostly about conservative play making (yes even the big plays are often conservative in their constructions and execution) and winning ugly rather than losing pretty.

For me the greatest knock on a college QB is not so much that they force the ball but how often they do it and how bad a situation it was to throw into, i.e. was it a 50/50 ball or was there no chance of a reception, or (worse) was it likely an interception would occur. Plus how easy do they get flushed out of the pocket, do they keep their head and move out of the pocket when forced or when the field opens up for a run, or do they panic and not trust their OL to protect them. Also what type of action do they have, are they a ball tapper, do they look off their target or watch them the whole way (telegraphing the pass), do they have the smarts to pump fake an defensive player to get them to sit on a pass or get a DL player to move, etc.

Unfortunately the more you look at this group the more you see of the negative, and as you already stated with Geno, when it goes bad it goes really bad. If their doing that at the college level they'll get murdered in the NFL.

There definitely ain't no Andrew Lucks or RG3's in this lot, or even Russell Wilsons or Kaepernicks Very Happy

ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:57 am

Go BIG BLUE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:09 pm

The Bills take E.J.Manuel with pick 16 - WTF.
Funkadelic 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:18 pm

My boy Dion going to the dolphins, poor geno smith could be sitting for a while.
Funkadelic 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:19 pm

Wonder who takes manti teo? Surely not big blue!
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:07 pm

While I'm not unhappy with Eric Reid, in fact I'm very happy with his selection, I'm surprised they traded up for him (even though they didn't give up much to do it).

When the trade occurred I thought they were going after Sharrif Floyd Very Happy who would've made our D-Line an unbelievably destructive force.

Players I'm hoping they target now are:

Jesse William - DT or
Cornellius Carradine - DE

D.J.Swearinger - SS (but likely converted into a CB)

Travis Kelce - TE

Marcus Lattimore - RB

Arthur Brown - ILB (pipe dream)

OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:25 pm

Justin Pugh is a really intelligent and solid pick for the Giants. Other players were still on the board that would be considered higher grade, such as Floyd, but they also had greater risk.

Pugh can play left or right guard, or left or right tackle and his greatest con is a lack of strength which is easily corrected.

Personally I think from a Giants perspective it's a great pick because it gives them a potential starter and at the very least depth at every O-Line position, except Centre.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 1 of 18   

Jump to: