Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Troll sickness

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Feedback

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit that the mods are more than happy to act when a poster eventually cracks and gives the troll a serve. At the same time they are more than happy to sit on the fence, allow the troll to be active and wait for the fall out.
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:16 pm

Yes^.I've had harmless posts deleted,like one recent one where i made fun of The Herald Sun,yet obvious trolling posts are let go by the moderators.Very strange.
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:08 pm

It seems a bit rough to have a jibe at the HS pulled by the mods... but overall I would hope that remarks that are negative are not labelled 'troll' and then deleted.

I enjoy the diverse range of opinions given here on Nicks - given my one-eyed bias towards the Pies most supporters are pretty negative compared to me - but I still enjoy diversity.

On-going personal attacks should get the mods to act -not Jack attacking Juliar or Hiss against Eddie thats funny stuff - more so members of the forum. Generally I think the quality of discussions (even by some extreme negative types) are quite entertaining.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:43 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
I belive we should develope an ignore list. That is a list of forum members who are negative trolls. If we all put them on the ignore list no one will see their posts and they will soon loose interest and piss off.

My first addition is "Mr Dapper Travis Cloke"

What, like the one we already have?

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:29 pm
Post subject: Re: Troll sicknessReply with quote

dalyc wrote:
Hi all,

I have no idea what to do about it but Nick's seems to be overrun by trolls. I'm tired of having to read clearly anti-Magpie crap on a Magpie site.

Can we yellow - red card more?

GTP!

"seems to be overrun by trolls" ???

Nick's has over 4000 members. Let's say somewhere between 200 and 2000 regularly post (based on nothing more than for the sake of your assertion).

To be 'overrun', how many trolls do you reckon that to be ? 20 ? 30 ? 50 ? More.

I challenge you to name the lower end of that scale. 20.

I also respectfully suggest you read The Rules (found on top of any Nick's page). Esp. the paragraph re. back seat modding.

Also read the criteria for posting in GD and General Feedback. You'll find your topic has been moved GF.

It's a crock. If one of my fellow mods deletes it, I totally support them.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:02 pm

Donny wrote:
dalyc wrote:
Hi all,

I have no idea what to do about it but Nick's seems to be overrun by trolls. I'm tired of having to read clearly anti-Magpie crap on a Magpie site.

GTP!

Nick's has over 4000 members. Let's say somewhere between 200 and 2000 regularly post (based on nothing more than for the sake of your assertion).

To be 'overrun', how many trolls do you reckon that to be ? 20 ? 30 ? 50 ? More.

I also respectfully suggest you read The Rules (found on top of any Nick's page). Esp. the paragraph re. back seat modding.

Also read the criteria for posting in GD and General Feedback. You'll find your topic has been moved GF.

I'd go further than that; I challenge you to name any. And I'm not talking about people you don't like, I'm talking about trolls: non-Magpie supporters only here to cause trouble. If you can point them out and provide proof that they are what you think they are then why aren't you doing it?

This board belongs to all of its members and you have as much responsibility for maintaining its integrity as anyone else. If you know something that the moderators don't then do something about it... other than whinging.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:56 pm

There's usually at least 2 running round at any given time (which as Donny pointed out isn't bad by the averages) with revolving user names who seem to be here just to wind people up.

The easy answer is to ignore people who you don't agree with or who you think is trolling. Don't have to actually put them on ignore, just practice some self discipline by not biting.

And Like Mike said, if you have proof rather than suspicions, email the sinister bastards.

The last few days the board has been over run all right, not by trolls but by grown adults throwing the toys out of the cot and venting in every direction at once.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:53 am

It's time for Dapper to be banned. I'm sick of this guy hijacking every thread in the 'General Discussion' part of the forum Evil or Very Mad
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:15 am

stui magpie wrote:
The last few days the board has been over run all right, not by trolls but by grown adults throwing the toys out of the cot and venting in every direction at once.

Are you sure about that? Shocked

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:41 pm

I'm a firm believer that if certain people detract from the enjoyment of a forum for the majority of users then banning should be allowed.

Why should people put up with trolls, just because it can't be proved that they are trolls?

I'm at the point where I don't think I can be bothered reading or posting on here anymore.

Also, apparently calling other posters names is permitted on Nick's now? I reported a post (a couple of days ago) and nothing has been done. From experience, I understand that these things can take a little bit of time, but surely there doesn't need to be a great deal of discussion on the issue?

Sorry mods - I understand how hard it is, but things are out of balance at the moment.
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:36 pm

Mike wrote:
Donny wrote:
dalyc wrote:
Hi all,

GTP!

I'd go further than that; I challenge you to name any. And I'm not talking about people you don't like, I'm talking about trolls: non-Magpie supporters only here to cause trouble. If you can point them out and provide proof that they are what you think they are then why aren't you doing it?

This board belongs to all of its members and you have as much responsibility for maintaining its integrity as anyone else. If you know something that the moderators don't then do something about it... other than whinging.

Can you suggest a way that I could provide evidence? This is an Internet forum. I've not met one Nicks member in the 8 years I've been a member.

While I understand the mods have a hard job, I was just expressing frustration I was feeling. Quoting membership numbers is only one consideration. It's the continual negative posters ( and I concede there's only 4 or 5) that post continually and to my mind they are drowning out the rest of the posters and hijacking thread after thread.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:51 pm

Mike wrote:

I can, though it should be noted that one doesn't need to be a non-magpie supporter to be a troll or only here to cause trouble. This user, for instance, has been banned on several occasions. The moderation team (and posters with long memories) will undoubtedly recall his previous noms de plume Mick Plays Favourites, Mick's My Favourite, Women Know More Than Men, Eddiegold, Robert Walls (not really), Dreamer, Clement and many other short-lived usernames.

It is surely beyond reasonable doubt that these are all one and the same person. I'm not sure what standard of proof is required in this context, but posting style tends to be a giveaway. This isn't a case, after all, of a Hiss-esque persona being created; it's merely one poster with a single distinctive style returning under a different username. Some people are more unique than others, perhaps, but I strongly doubt that anyone would be fooled for very long if Stui Magpie, 3rd Degree, Joffa, Jack_Spain, Tannin or me left and came back under a different name, and this case seems no different. Consider the following:

Donny wrote:
Mick's My Favourite wrote:
Lorelei

everybodys opinion matters.

That is why we are here as a family

a big happy Collnigwood family

we can come here and discuss and debate in a democratic way

but everybodies opinion is equal.

Go Pies

Mpf, There's absolutely no need for double spacing between lines.

Why can't we find a player like Milne who gets front and centre. Didak had another ordinary game other than the mark and Leon as well they should look up the other end and take a leaf from Milne. It is very frustrating cause Didak has loads more talent than Milne but Milne outperforms him.

Stop double spacing - bbmods

you can see the polish the Terry Daniher has put on the Saints forward line everyone kicks goals and gets in the right position like Collingwood was last year. Now we are a shambles.

Mick - why did you get rid of TD?

Can you please STOP double spacing your sentences, it is not necessary. Please refrain from doing so - bbmods

Donny wrote:
Mpf, your current form is tedious and, in most posts, a waste of space.

If you want to survive in here, please take note of the mods requests re. repetition and inflated posts (double spacing between every line).

Hmm. Who else does that?

Mr Dapper Travis Cloke wrote:
The objective of the season is to win a premiership, anything less is failure.

You are the problem at the Collingwood football Club.

We lack ambition and expectation.

Our supporters think it is just good enough to be Collingwood.

That is why we aren't the Man United of the AFL.

That is why we have won two premierships in nearly 45 years.

No ambition.

The AFL backed the Reid decision as correct.

The Geish has no idea.

Exactly, bring back Fitzroy.

At least they were Working Class.

Melbourne deserve to choke on their own vomit.

They leak money and will be looking for more handouts from tomorrow.

Handouts that the Collingwood football Club have to pay for.

Not convinced? He also had an annoying habit of (comically?) assuming various football-related personas:

So I will finish by saying "Carn the Pies"

and hope we win this week

Love Christie Malthouse

Eddiegold wrote:
I am not Eddie Maguire but I am someone very close to him.

Robert Walls wrote:
Let me tell you Tim Lane and myself are the most unbiased commentators in football. I have rereviewed the game today and I am very pleasantly happy with our line of commentary. The only time we could be questioned would be early in the third quarter. But as you all realise we accurately predicted a Swans comeback. We were very gracious to Collingwood in victory. However, I am not sure of the swan’s team this year so the win needs to take that into consideration. However I do believe that Didak is now a superstar and that young boy Pendles will really make it.

Anyway I am here to debate Collingwood fans opinions of our comments. We are fair and honest and call a spade a shovel.

Clement wrote:

"Mr Dapper Travis Cloke", anyone?

Of course, it's not against the rules to humorously impersonate people, and I'm not aware that there's a rule against double spacing sentences either (although it seems to annoy Donny!). Neither, for better or for worse, is there a rule against being a pain in the arse. This is what the ignore option is for, and I'd always advise people to use that rather than publicly calling for bans. However, let's not mince words here: this guy is most certainly a troll, and he has been banned on at least 14 previous occasions. I'm guessing, then, that it's merely a matter of 'when' as opposed to 'if'.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:23 pm

Nice post David.

I doubt if I could last very long posting in disguise, after a couple of drinks I'd forget which username I was logged in under and start reverting to type.

And I generally try to put a space between sentences or certainly paragraphs as I think it makes it easier to read. Confused

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:52 pm

^ I think the difference is that MDTC does it with long posts, ending up with 5 to 10 lines of text, all spaced. The difference is that most people (including you, I think) would revert to standard paragraph form after a couple of lines.

(Note that I'm not at all saying there's a right or wrong way to do this — it's just that one particular user happens to have an extremely recognisable style.)

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:07 pm

Great post David.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Feedback All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

Jump to: