Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

North Korea

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It all seems so grimly predictable. How can a world with such madmen in power not annihilate itself? Charlton Heston put it most eloquently:

https://youtu.be/ZWphqA1Slrw

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:25 am

Surprised no-one's talking about this on here. The US's dumb-arse real-estate mafia boss in chief is only bringing the world to the brink of nuclear war.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/12/donald-trump-rhetoric-on-north-korea-echoes-loudly-in-void-of-us-diplomacy

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:04 am

David wrote:
Surprised no-one's talking about this on here. The US's dumb-arse real-estate mafia boss in chief is only bringing the world to the brink of nuclear war.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/12/donald-trump-rhetoric-on-north-korea-echoes-loudly-in-void-of-us-diplomacy

All Donald Trump?
Kim Jong-un's rhetoric not also part of the problem?
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:41 am

Clinton gave the Norks the reactors and huge wads of cash, Bush slept on them while hunting Arabs in caves and Obama appeased for 8 years. Just like Hitler, appeasement doesn't work so now we're getting Nixon style 'Mad Dog' diplomacy. Kim just threatened to nuke Guam, not exactly something that should be let slide.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:02 am

thesoretoothsayer wrote:
David wrote:

All Donald Trump?

The Kims have been a problem for decades. Donald's the one who's decided it's time to play chicken with them.

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:21 am

Bloody hell David, don't you sleep?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:04 pm

Sure I do! When I'm not on Nick's... Wink
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:13 pm

I'm pleased to see Trump finally treating this issue with seriousness, as I see great potential for international extortion when NK finally has serviceable nukes.

However, the only way to address this problem is to ask China to stand up and take responsibility for the horrible state it brought into being and continues to covertly support.

Frankly, I am surprised that Trump is not coupling this with a threat of a trade embargo on China ; this would have benefits for a Trumpian agenda whichever way China jumps. It would pose horrible risks to the world economy, but so too does a rogue, brinkman state with nuclear weapons.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:26 pm

David wrote:
thesoretoothsayer wrote:
David wrote:

All Donald Trump?

The Kims have been a problem for decades. Donald's the one who's decided it's time to play chicken with them.

Correct.

While I agree that the mindset and behaviour of North Korea under the Kim family rule is certainly bizarre and outrageous and the people of that nation suffer for it more than any other I just can't see any way of stopping North Korea obtaining the nuclear arsenal they desire.

In reality simple self preservation for the leader of North Korea and that of his family dynasty remains the single biggest reason why his sabre rattling should remain just that unless the US does anything really stupid.

Make no mistake military intervention will cost the lives of possibly millions within days which is unthinkable and send the world, it's economy and society into crisis.

Last edited by swoop42 on Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:42 pm

From the point of view of fairness, nuclear war is a good thing. Remember, all men are cremated equally.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:31 pm

swoop42 wrote:
David wrote:
thesoretoothsayer wrote:
David wrote:

All Donald Trump?

Correct.

While I agree that the mindset and behaviour of North Korea under the Kim family rule is certainly bizarre and outrageous and the people of that nation suffer for it more than any other I just can't see any way of stopping North Korea obtaining the nuclear arsenal they desire.

In reality simple self preservation for the leader of North Korea and that of his family dynasty remains the single biggest reason why his sabre rattling should remain just that unless the US does anything really stupid.

Make no mistake military intervention will cost the lives of possibly millions within days which is unthinkable and send the world, it's economy and society into crisis.

But on the positive side, we'll have marriage equality and transgender recognition and dont forget walk/dont walk signs in skirts.
These are very important.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:03 pm

North Korea been Asking to go to War for Years
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:12 pm

swoop42 wrote:
David wrote:
thesoretoothsayer wrote:
David wrote:

All Donald Trump?

Correct.

North korea has been a minor problem, mostly to its own people and to South Korea. It now has nuclear weapons and ICBM technology. It is not "playing chicken" to recognise this as a step change in the strategic danger (aka "the problem") it poses. By all means argue that it is a danger that just has to be borne as the best available case, but it is trivialising the issues and sloppy thinking to pretend that stopping Mr Kim from having IC nuclear weapons is "playing chicken" and a problem merely continuous with NK's other delinquencies. The US's hardening rhetoric is rational policy, up to this point. Inaction is also a very dangerous policy, here.

Trump is a fool of the highest order and his public pronouncements are accordingly blustery, but this is a deadly serious strategic issue, substantially orchestrated by China which is the real culprit, here. NK is China's creature and suckling. China could stop this nonsense if it wished to, but it suits its strategic purposes to threaten the US by proxy. If South Korea was nuclearising and making comparable nuclear threats against China, would you be so dismissive of China's interest as you are of the US interest ?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:38 pm

^ Spot on, Mugwamp.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:12 am

Dave The Man wrote:
North Korea been Asking to go to War for Years

Doesn't mean we have to take them up on it... Surprised

Skids wrote:
But on the positive side, we'll have marriage equality and transgender recognition and dont forget walk/dont walk signs in skirts.
These are very important.

Quite right. Kind of sets us apart from places like, uh, North Korea.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 8 of 23   

Jump to: