Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

We're gonna train better, harder, longer.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flashman 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:42 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly.

Welcome to the AFL Nathan. Now harden the **** up.
collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:43 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
The Ball injury was mis-management. He hurt his knee early and was put back on for some reason. It's may have contributed to a full tear and surgery.

The other injuries are just luck. Hawks are suffering this year when they had a gift run for most of 2012

LOL I call THAT suffering when they went on the win the flag! Laughing

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:54 pm

Beast wrote:
14 players, half of them arguably best 22 on the injury list again prior to round 1.

Nathan Freeman told me he reckons he was overtrained during the preseason.

Are we still blaming luck???

What's the track record of the new head of Fitness or what ever his title is?

E 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:30 am

the real issue is that we are requiring our players to have the endurance of a marathoner while playing a contact sport and then working in bursts.

As a marathon runner myself, i would point out that during the intense portion of marathon training, even the idea of doing exercise that does not involve straight line running only is dangerous. The body cannot handle too much stress from quick changes of direction much less full contact.

It is not surpirsing that these marathon training like training periods, combined with the physical aspect and impact running, create injuries.

Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:43 am

E wrote:
the real issue is that we are requiring our players to have the endurance of a marathoner while playing a contact sport and then working in bursts.

It is not surpirsing that these marathon training like training periods, combined with the physical aspect and impact running, create injuries.

More like middle distance running than a marathon, big difference! One thing is the same you need to build up to that sort of training, which means a lot of running. Injuries will occur if you over do it or you don't allow the body to adapt to it. Unfortunately some physiques have no problems and adapt quickly others you need more time. Sounds like Josh Thomas may be in the latter category. Still to get an advantage this all makes sense.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:18 am

Beast wrote:
14 players, half of them arguably best 22 on the injury list again prior to round 1.

Yep, still blaming luck. To think otherwise is to suggest malicious intent or gross incompetence by the coaching and fitness staff and I don't think either is present at Pieland.

The Freeman injury is the only one that can be laid at the feet of possible overtraining. Or perhaps he just wasn't as dilegent as he should have been during his warmups or previous recovery sessions. Every club in the league would be undertaking training loading during the preseason, they'll ease off now that players start to get some match time fitness, so it's hardly surprising Freeman suggests he's had a heavy load, welcome to AFL son.

All the others were either 2013 carry over injuries (Seedsman, Fasolo, Martin, Dwyer, Thomas, Scharenberg, Karnezis, Gault, Blair) or from what little we're told were just plain bad luck (Reid - knock, Oxley - broken bone, Broomhead - broken bone). The White injury we know absolutely nothing about how it occurred.
derkd 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:08 am

Does any team ever start a season with a completely clean injury sheet?

I for one, is thankful that, so far (and everyone please touch wood* when you read this) that we have no season ending injuries...unlike previous years.

*Just not Cameron Wood Laughing ok that was a bad joke!!!
uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:33 pm

At this level and this day and age of 'tailored' training programs and open communication between coaches and players, injuries from overtraining should not be a real issue. I wonder if recovery is monitored by The Club or if it's just left up to the individual?
Beast 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:42 pm

woftam wrote:
Beast wrote:

You may have a point but.
What frame of reference would Freeman have for being overtrained? This is his first AFL pre season.

Yes I'm aware of all of that hence why my question to him was "you reckon you got injured due to step up in intensity from under 18's to AFL" and the surprising answer was "nah, I reckon I got overloaded"
He also said he doesn't have a history of hamstring injuries and has been receiving some painful blood injections to treat it.
Beast 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:03 pm

jackcass wrote:
Beast wrote:

Yep, still blaming luck. To think otherwise is to suggest malicious intent or gross incompetence by the coaching and fitness staff and I don't think either is present at Pieland.

The Freeman injury is the only one that can be laid at the feet of possible overtraining. Or perhaps he just wasn't as dilegent as he should have been during his warmups or previous recovery sessions. Every club in the league would be undertaking training loading during the preseason, they'll ease off now that players start to get some match time fitness, so it's hardly surprising Freeman suggests he's had a heavy load, welcome to AFL son.

All the others were either 2013 carry over injuries (Seedsman, Fasolo, Martin, Dwyer, Thomas, Scharenberg, Karnezis, Gault, Blair) or from what little we're told were just plain bad luck (Reid - knock, Oxley - broken bone, Broomhead - broken bone). The White injury we know absolutely nothing about how it occurred.

Take it the right way but your reasoning reminds me of of myself trying to justify the clean out that happened at the Club, i.e. when you look at each player individually I can justify why they were moved on or left but I have a difficulty explaining why that happened when we were in the premiership window.

Bottom line is we're the best resourced Club in the land but for three seasons on the trot starting the season with the biggest injury list in AFL.
Even some that are carry over from 2013 (Seedsman, Thomas, Sharenberg) don't seem to have been managed properly.
And I'd blame rotten luck had we had a spate of long term injuries and thankfully we don't but at the same time we are unable to field a side resembling our best in round one after bowing out from the finals early.....

The reality of the situation is we've already had two years written off due to injury, especially 2012, and 2014 if off to a shocking start.
We need to get significantly better in this regard or there is even no point in having such a talented list.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:27 pm

Beast wrote:

Take it the right way but your reasoning reminds me of of myself trying to justify the clean out that happened at the Club, i.e. when you look at each player individually I can justify why they were moved on or left but I have a difficulty explaining why that happened when we were in the premiership window.

Bottom line is we're the best resourced Club in the land but for three seasons on the trot starting the season with the biggest injury list in AFL.
Even some that are carry over from 2013 (Seedsman, Thomas, Sharenberg) don't seem to have been managed properly.
And I'd blame rotten luck had we had a spate of long term injuries and thankfully we don't but at the same time we are unable to field a side resembling our best in round one after bowing out from the finals early.....

The reality of the situation is we've already had two years written off due to injury, especially 2012, and 2014 if off to a shocking start.
We need to get significantly better in this regard or there is even no point in having such a talented list.

While have the best resources available, I'm not convinced we are getting the best people for every position at the club. I fear that we have too many appointments based on mateship etc.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:31 pm

I never realised there were so many fully qualified sports scientists on Nicks. Rolling Eyes

Just harden the f#ck up guys. Injuries happen.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:51 pm

Beast wrote:

Understand and appreciate your point of view. I just think that the cause of injuries is more luck related than not.

In terms of management, I concur that they probably haven't got everything 100% right. But then Beams in an interview last week said he pushed himself too hard last season ignoring the medicos and fitness staff who were often trying to pull him back. He's learned from it but it cost him (and us) 15-16 games in 2013. My point being there is only so much that the club can do and sometimes there are other contributing factors we don't know about.

I back the "surgery as the last recourse" stance the club seems to take with some injuries. Surgery is always a risk and a less invasive option should be prefered.

And while I don't like to see any player injured, especially our, it's not all negative. I mean would Elliott have gotten so many opportunities if Krakouer and Didak didn't miss so much footy. Ditto Williams and Johnson - Toovey. Ditto Grundy and Jolly. Ditto Dwyer-Thomas and Ball.

The last couple of seasons have been very tough on supporters but as a consequence we've now a group of prospects who've had good senior exposure in Elliott (35 games), Sinclair (39), Dwyer (21), Grundy (7), Williams (22), Thomas (19), Seedsman (2Cool, Fasolo (40), Keeffe (22), Kennedy (12), Mooney, Witts, Oxley, Frost.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:53 pm

I think a lot of people are reminded of it.
collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:53 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Beast wrote:

What's the track record of the new head of Fitness or what ever his title is?

He came from St Kilda. Possibly a plant. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7   

Jump to: