Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What have you been reading lately?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:47 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat's cradle was about an eccentric military research scientist who gets told US Marines are sick of wading through mud, please invent something so he does.
Ice 9, the perfect ice crystal.
It's so perfect it doesn't melt and whats more it spreads to every drop of water it comes in contact with, freezing it instantly. blah blah blah.
The cats cradle is a game played by the beautiful tahitian(?) princess...as the world freezes over.

my favorite

Breakfast of champions.
... The world is choking on some strange gas, the world's population is plummeting, , the buildings are crumbling, the planet is dying...etc...etc

It turns out "the gas" isn't a gas, it's trillions upon trillions of miniture chinese people who have shrunk themselves so small they got blown awae in the wind and choked nearly every body death.
(The rational was sound enough, smaller people require smaller resources and take up much less room).

I don't remember how it ends... and I'm too lazy to reread it

Last edited by 3.14159 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:23 pm

3.14159 wrote:
that 'woody feeling" blokes get in the morning

3.14159 wrote:
I didn't really understand it but geeez it rattled me tonsils

Errr .. too much information?

blackmissionary Cancer

Lurker King

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:51 pm

I liked the sparseness, perhaps even the quietness of Slaughterhouse 5 .

I found my quickfire review of it from another forum's books thread. The impression still holds true.

Quote:
Also just recently finished Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse 5, which while being a tremendous anti-war novel, also takes an interesting look at free will, based on (my limited further reading, ie wikipedia) the fringe Christian doctrine of Quietism, which some argue is similar to Eastern and/or Stoic notions of the annihilation of the self.

There's a depressed futility to it, but it's not morose. In an odd way, it's tone reminds me of the earlier works of Richard Brautigan, especially Trout Fishing In America and In Watermelon Sugar, minus the sci-fi element of course.
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:25 pm

Tannin wrote:
Errr .. too much information?

I let him keep the book.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:57 pm

I've been reading graphic novels on the tablet What they used to call "Comics"

I was a massive comic book fan as a kid, DC comics were my 1st preference, followed distantly by Marvel in the superhero caper. Disney comics were a complimentary thing, loved them. Still have a few big plastic storage containers full of old comics from the 60's thru to the late 70's. However, I digress.

A mate a while back told me how you could download comics and read them on the tablet, so over the holidays, I looked into it. I was partially inspired by references to the various "Crisis" series that I've head mentioned on Big Bang Theory. (If you don't know that it's a TV show, stop reading now)

So I did a bit of googling and wikiing and found the series I was interested in. A series called "Crisis on infinite earths" and the sequels. Series started in the late 80's, was several years in the gestation and was a DC/ Marvel crossover . Sold.

So I downloaded that, along with a bunch of other related stuff and am now working my way through the Ultimate Crisis series written in the late 2000's.

Things have changed since when I was a kid, the violence is a hell of a lot more graphic than it was in the early 70's.

But damn, I'm enjoying it. Very Happy Nearly 50 years old and I'm reading superman comics. LOL.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:00 pm

Oops. Too much data.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:23 am

Garry Disher's Bitter Wash Road.

This is "crime fiction", I suppose (investigation of homicides in a remote - but not too remote - part of South Australia) but it is one of the finest novels I have ever read. Disher's writing here is absolutely compelling and breathtakingly beautiful - he apparently grew up on a farm in South Australia and he writes as if he knows the places and people like the back of his hand. I simply couldn't put it down.

Upon finishing this, I read 3 of his earlier novels, including another fabulous recent one (set on the Mornington Peninsula) called Whispering Death. My wife has all of them and has been telling me to read his novels for about 20 years. She was absolutely right about that. I am on a mission to get through them all.

If Disher was, eg, English or American, I expect he would be very famous by now.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:35 pm

I just finished reading the book Moneyball on the tablet. I downloaded a few things onto it rather than take actual books on holiday.

Very interesting read and gives a far more detailed insight into how it actually works than the movie did.

Kingswood was right when he said that most times a player is referred to by media or fans as a moneyball type, they are wrong and don't actally get it.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:02 pm

Crime Fiction.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:19 pm

Just finished of Dan Brown's latest novel. He's the bloke who wrote the Davinci code. His latest one is called Inferno and it's a really good read.

Has a lot of the same historic symbolism, this time mainly around Dante's 3 part book of which Inferno is one part.

One of the more interesting bits about the book though, is the notion of population control. The premise is a very smart bloke has done the maths and realises that at the rate population is increasing, Earth will not be able to sustain it and all hell will break loose. So he creates a weapon to "thin the herd"

I'll leave the rest of the plot to anyone who's interested to read it, but the premise was certainly interesting, so I did some googling. One article I read said that if every single person on the planet became vegetarian, there was enough arable land on the planet to support a population of 10 billion. A lot less if people had western dietary habits.

Now when you consider the population of the earth has gone from 3 billion in 1960 to 7 billion now, the premise gets very real.

It actually creates one of the better moral vs practical arguments about providing aid to poor countries and keeping people alive when they would have died. Are we, by acting morally, actually acting against the best interests of the planet? We basically need to slow down or even reverse some of the global population growth, is providing aid and medicine to places acting counter to that?

I'm tempted to start a separate thread on that question but it has the potential to get very pear shaped.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:21 pm

Impressive.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:05 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Just finished of Dan Brown's latest novel. He's the bloke who wrote the Davinci code. His latest one is called Inferno and it's a really good read.

Has a lot of the same historic symbolism, this time mainly around Dante's 3 part book of which Inferno is one part.

One of the more interesting bits about the book though, is the notion of population control. The premise is a very smart bloke has done the maths and realises that at the rate population is increasing, Earth will not be able to sustain it and all hell will break loose. So he creates a weapon to "thin the herd"

I'll leave the rest of the plot to anyone who's interested to read it, but the premise was certainly interesting, so I did some googling. One article I read said that if every single person on the planet became vegetarian, there was enough arable land on the planet to support a population of 10 billion. A lot less if people had western dietary habits.

Now when you consider the population of the earth has gone from 3 billion in 1960 to 7 billion now, the premise gets very real.

It actually creates one of the better moral vs practical arguments about providing aid to poor countries and keeping people alive when they would have died. Are we, by acting morally, actually acting against the best interests of the planet? We basically need to slow down or even reverse some of the global population growth, is providing aid and medicine to places acting counter to that?

I'm tempted to start a separate thread on that question but it has the potential to get very pear shaped.

Lol. It's the sort of philosophical question that gets kicked around from time to time when people are considering the (very real) problem of overpopulation. Mass mandatory sterilisation at birth still seems like the most humane and most practical solutioncertainly, a lot better than cutting aid to poor countries or whatever else someone might dream up.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:05 am

stui magpie wrote:
I've been reading graphic novels on the tablet What they used to call "Comics"

I was a massive comic book fan as a kid, DC comics were my 1st preference, followed distantly by Marvel in the superhero caper. Disney comics were a complimentary thing, loved them. Still have a few big plastic storage containers full of old comics from the 60's thru to the late 70's. However, I digress.

A mate a while back told me how you could download comics and read them on the tablet, so over the holidays, I looked into it. I was partially inspired by references to the various "Crisis" series that I've head mentioned on Big Bang Theory. (If you don't know that it's a TV show, stop reading now)

So I did a bit of googling and wikiing and found the series I was interested in. A series called "Crisis on infinite earths" and the sequels. Series started in the late 80's, was several years in the gestation and was a DC/ Marvel crossover . Sold.

So I downloaded that, along with a bunch of other related stuff and am now working my way through the Ultimate Crisis series written in the late 2000's.

Things have changed since when I was a kid, the violence is a hell of a lot more graphic than it was in the early 70's.

But damn, I'm enjoying it. Very Happy Nearly 50 years old and I'm reading superman comics. LOL.

Os the walking dead comic on it? I want to find out what happens in series 5!

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:48 am

Lots! I think it's the weather. I've abandoned the computer and been sitting outside reading at all times of day and night. And sometimes painting the window frames, but mostly reading.

Right now I'm just starting the third and final volume of Norwich's classic Byzantium, a necessarily dense and unavoidably kaleidoscopic history of one of the greatest empires the world has ever seen. For 1100 years the Byzantines - originally the Eastern Roman Empire - ruled half of the known world; stood firm while barbarian invaders from the east burned down the decaying Western empire centred on Rome; flourished while western Europe endured the dark ages; preserved and perfected many of the arts and sciences; conquered vast lands from near Russia through most of eastern Europe to large parts of western Asia and the Levant, even including longstanding holdings in Italy, Sicily, and North Africa; and finally withstood and turned back the massive Muslim jihad, keeping Western Europe safe for 500 years.

We westerners tend to forget Byzantium, forget that it endured far longer than the western empire in Rome, and did not finally fall until the 15th Century. Most of us could at least name the dozen most famous Roman emperors, drag up memories of a major battle or two, vaguely recall how the Republic became the Empire and eventually decayed. Very few of us could do that with the longer-lived and more recent eastern empire.

Mind you, for all their magnificent art and culture, and their extraordinarily complex and subtle theology - the worldwide Orthodox Church, second in size only to Catholicism, is almost entirely Byzantine in its origins and doctrines - they were a rough and brutal lot, perhaps even more so than the Romans and their various barbaric conquerers.

With 1200 years to pack into just three volumes, one is left feeling rather breathless, rather overwhelmed by the ceaseless flow of emperors and pretenders, Patriarchs and generals, wars and plagues and earthquakes. I've read it once before five or ten years ago, but remember very little (which is not like me). Reading it again, I think I'll still battle to recall much more than overall impressions in (say) a year's time. The vast sweep of such a history is very hard to absorb. Nevertheless, it's worthwhile reading and perhaps by the end of it I will be a little less ignorant for a little while.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:55 pm

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Lol. It's the sort of philosophical question that gets kicked around from time to time when people are considering the (very real) problem of overpopulation. Mass mandatory sterilisation at birth still seems like the most humane and most practical solutioncertainly, a lot better than cutting aid to poor countries or whatever else someone might dream up.

Bu who do you sterilise? You can't sterilise everyone or say bye bye human race. If you choose the areas that are breeding fastest you'll inevitably called either racist or elitist because the fastest breeders are the third world and poor.

Edit,
It also casts question on the nursing homes. Should we really be keeping granny alive just because, when the mind long ago left the premises?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6   

Jump to: