Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Are footballers role models?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:31 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Ffs im not talking about peers, im talking about 15 year olds entering the footy system or playing local footy.

Narrowing the scope to pre school kids is ridiculous because of course it proves the argument about footballers not being their role models.

Brenny 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:36 pm

David,

Out of curiosity, hypothetical, you have a son who is 7 or 8yo a mad Collingwood supporter and he comes home and says he wants tattoos because Dane Swan has tattoos or piercings or something and he wants to be like Dane Swan.

I'm just curious what you would do, as a father. What would you tell your son?

PS sorry Stui, that may have been my fault talking about impressionable young kids around 8yo who hear things that don't know any better.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:33 pm

Brenny, I don't really see how that could even be a serious issue. There's obviously nothing empirically wrong with tattoos anyway; I'd just explain to him that you have to be an adult to get a tattoo because it lasts forever and it's a big decision, so he has to wait until he's 18. If that's not enough, that's what fake tattoos are for! Or pantyhose 'sleeves'. Laughing
Nash Rising 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:56 pm

Even if they don't want to be and try everything to prevent it, the answer is yes
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:30 pm

^ Why? Just because you say so, or...?
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:54 pm

The amusing part of this discussion is that the people who crap on about "personal responsibility" are often the same ones who think sportspeople have magical powers over the population and thus should be placed under strict controls.

It looks a lot more like bitter folk blaming sportspeople for refusing to do the babysitting for them to me. How about spending some decent time with your kids and surrounding them with quality adult friends and associates?

If you don't have the time, money or psychological wherewithal to do so, you have my understanding and sympathy. But that has nothing to do with footballers at all whatsoever.

Honestly, does anyone actually think a footballer player is even a thousandth as important to a child's development as a compassionate and decent adult who is involved directly in the child's life? get a bloody grip would you!

You can't discard common sense and re-write the entire discipline of psychology just to explain away your own frustrations. When it comes to your kids, Dane Swan is not your Huckleberry.

September Zeros 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:41 am

Just did a little net search myself, seems only those publications supporting the negative have been conveniently displayed here followed by a lot of strongly opinionated people cheering in support of "putting the question to bed" and jeering in rapid response to to any one who opposes.

Couple of things to massage your grey matter....

Just because you put a few bits and pieces of internet research together doesn't make you 100% correct boys and girls. Little more statistical support wouldn't go astray either. I know much of this topic must be measured qualitatively...but that's even more reason for an exhaustive layout of research and not just a convenient one. Otherwise your putting nothing to bed.

Are they roles models..... I don't know ......but I'll tell you one thing I won't do and thats just dismiss people who believe they may be.

Footballers are often idolised, they are often looked up to as champions, and small kids (sometimes also big ones) often try to replicate thier footballing heroes in the back yard. When they try to kick a daicos banana from the forward pocket with the number 35 on thier back are they role playing? Are they modelling thier football style on thier hero.

The question had naught to do with drugs but simply asked "are footballers role models" is it possible from a football perspective they are? And from an everything else in life point of view (including drugs etc) they completely are not?

Don't jump on me friends ......just asking a few more layed back and lazy Christmas night questions on the matter while I munch on a ham sandwich.

Wink

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:46 am

P.S. I should not have eaten that sandwich.

Sad

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:19 am

^The problem is you're using the term "role model" as if it carries magical powers when it's plainly an empty term with no actual meaning either technically or within this discussion beyond something trivial like "public persona it would be good to emulate".

In psychology it simply has no meaning at all; "significant others" is the term people are probably groping about for, and that group of intimates does not include cartoon characters, rock stars, fairy tale archetypes or sportspeople who frequent the TV screen. These are decidedly insignificant others who merely shadow the broader culture and are presumably selected in by the pre-existing psychology of the child which was set long before in interaction with significant others.

If you want to look beyond immediate attachment and care givers the data you look at is in the culture. And culture in turn is pretty much a reflection of socio-economic conditions; stable, wealthy, fair and coherent cultures provide good environments for kids to grow up in (and in turn good environments for parents to parent). The rest is genetic difference, individual difference (some deviant, some not), and of course imaginary crap invented by people whose brains hurt when they try to do serious thinking about anything but who know someone needs to be held accountable for that pain in their gut.

One does marvel at how out of touch with their own psychologies conservative authoritarians are. They get these things back-to-front on cue almost without fail, blaming and punishing some group of poor sods who have as much to do with the problem as the moons of Jupiter, meanwhile opposing the social spending required to improve the culture in which they live--the very thing which we know does have a massive impact on the problem.

Go figure!

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:53 am

September Zeros wrote:
Just did a little net search myself, seems only those publications supporting the negative have been conveniently displayed here followed by a lot of strongly opinionated people cheering in support of "putting the question to bed" and jeering in rapid response to to any one who opposes.

Couple of things to massage your grey matter....

Just because you put a few bits and pieces of internet research together doesn't make you 100% correct boys and girls. Little more statistical support wouldn't go astray either. I know much of this topic must be measured qualitatively...but that's even more reason for an exhaustive layout of research and not just a convenient one. Otherwise your putting nothing to bed.

Are they roles models..... I don't know ......but I'll tell you one thing I won't do and thats just dismiss people who believe they may be.

Care to produce these research papers, expert opinions, scientific studies etc that support the idea that footballers are role models?

links are your friend

Nash Rising 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:32 am

David wrote:

Surely we can have a discussion and give an opinion without the need to turn every post into a pissing contest.

Whether footballers like it or not kids and teens will try to emulate those they see as their 'hero's'.

If a footballer likes to go out and get pissed and fight 'some' of their hero worshipers will think it is ok to do exactly the same.
Sure the footballer is not asking to be a role model, but that doesn't change that many of their followers will see them as exactly that.

Footballers due to their status have a degree of power, with that power comes responsibility, even if they don't like it.
Big T 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:45 am

Of course they are role models. Examples

Aspiring rapists would see St Kilda players as role models
Aspiring mafia bag men would see Carlton FC as a role model
Aspiring drug addicts would look up to West Coast elite players
Aspiring white collar criminals would love to spend time with Sydney and Adelaide players

And so forth

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:28 am

Nash Rising wrote:
David wrote:

Surely we can have a discussion and give an opinion without the need to turn every post into a pissing contest.

Whether footballers like it or not kids and teens will try to emulate those they see as their 'hero's'.

If a footballer likes to go out and get pissed and fight 'some' of their hero worshipers will think it is ok to do exactly the same.
Sure the footballer is not asking to be a role model, but that doesn't change that many of their followers will see them as exactly that.

Footballers due to their status have a degree of power, with that power comes responsibility, even if they don't like it.

Not engaging in any pissing contest, I just wanted to see the reasoning behind your conclusion.

As PTID has written above (and any one of Neil's studies would back up), what you are describing is pure fantasy. The footballer is a 'hero' in the same abstract sense as a rock star or cartoon character. Compared to the actual real-life people the child is surrounded by on a day-to-day basis, this group have an extraordinarily low degree of influence on behaviour; and, even then, that influence is confined to their 'roles' (rock star, superhero, footballer). Once you grasp this, you'll understand that the idea that players' reported off-field indiscretions cause children to accept socially inappropriate behaviour as normal or admirable is a big myth. It exists only in the imaginations of Herald Sun writers and family values lobbies.

If you don't believe me, have a flick through one of the links Neil provided. This British one seems pretty conclusive:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/04/100421191410.htm

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:53 am

Nash Rising wrote:

Link says otherwise

"The loutish and drunken behaviour of some of our sporting heroes -- routinely reported in the media -- has little or no effect on the drinking habits of young people, new research has found."

"Our research shows that young people, both sporting participants and non-sporting participants, don't appear to be influenced by the drinking habits of high-profile sportspeople as depicted in the mass media."

"Young people's own drinking was instead strongly related to the overestimation of their friends' drinking and, in sportspeople only, to sport-specific cultural habits, such as the drinking with competitors after games."

"But there is much stronger evidence for a relationship between alcohol-industry sponsorship, advertising and marketing within sport and hazardous drinking among young people than there is for the influence of sports stars drinking."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/04/100421191410.htm

This was in the original post

Also

"Media companies are increasingly targeting adolescents with TV shows that feature violence, alcohol and drugs. An interdisciplinary research project with researchers from the University of Gothenburg, Sweden, and colleagues from the UK is looking closer at how society and other actors should react to the link between young people's media habits and their alcohol consumption."

"There is a well-documented link between watching programmes that show alcohol, such as TV reality shows, and increased drinking"

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/10/111010075458.htm

If you disagree can you provide some evidence rather than just opinion?

Brenny 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:20 pm

I think I've got a better grasp on the angle that Neil is coming from.

Accepted.

Should we then be splitting the term 'Role Model' into two then.

Off Field: They are not role models, just simply people who play football.

On Field: They can be positive role models... work ethic, confidence, hard work, keeping healthy and so on? Surely on this side of it they can encourage kids (pre teen and teens) to work hard to reach their goals.

Or should we all together just scrap the whole idea of 'Role Model' and even 'Hero' and just see them as people who play sport?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 2 of 15   

Jump to: