Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Right to Bear Arms

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:08 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Collingwood 4 eternity wrote:
For the land of the free and the home of the brave

It's time to rethink your gun laws

This is very sad

Pic form twitter

So true

im in cocoa beach, florida, right now. was in the gym when it hit the news, everyone just stopped.

tears flowing freely.

it was awful.

walking back to our hotel, the stupid stickers on the bumpers, i shoot, i vote, ect etc.

saturation media for about two hours, turned off the telly (just got back from a cruise, washing day etc) turned the telly on. still more. so tragic.

i hate guns.

dont see why they are necessary.

rip sweet children.

may the bastard rot in hell for all eternity. no mercy for this coward.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:12 pm

It depends on the environmental factors.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:15 pm

Interestinglt the USA doesn't even make the top 10 when it comes to firearm related deaths per 100,000 of population.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

Considering it's supposed to be a world leader and a first world country though, looking at the countries in the top 10 doesn't reflect real well on the USA at all.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:38 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Interestinglt the USA doesn't even make the top 10 when it comes to firearm related deaths per 100,000 of population.

Considering it's supposed to be a world leader and a first world country though, looking at the countries in the top 10 doesn't reflect real well on the USA at all.

scary stats

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:48 pm

no wonder they won't vote against it

Here is a list of every politician who is receiving money from the NRA to make sure guns are easy to own

http://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/recips.php?cycle=2012&id=D000000082

Bruno 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:20 pm

stui magpie wrote:

Yes, but apart from Canada, Switzerland and Montenegro, the USA are about 3 times as many as all other countries which can be described as either "western" or "first world".

I think the stat for Switzerland speaks volumes. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe everyone in Switzerland does national service and when they leave.... get to keep their gun.

Guns in the community simply means more deaths by gun.

(Note: I am not quite sure if Montenegro can be described as "western" or "first world"... but that's sort of beside the main point so can people please not go off topic disputing this. Sorry in advance if I have offended any Montenegrin's... I am just a friendly Croatian remember!).
Bruno 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:32 pm

Proud Pies wrote:
no wonder they won't vote against it

Here is a list of every politician who is receiving money from the NRA to make sure guns are easy to own

http://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/recips.php?cycle=2012&id=D000000082

Good find Proud Pies.

Not that we don't all already know this, but it's is going to be up to the Democrats to fix this. They know the Republicans never will. As I mentioned earlier, I reckon they've got a good 9 year window to get this done.

Obama said the exact right things in his address today.

Last edited by Bruno on Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bruno 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:48 pm

You know what I find interesting and this is more just as an aside ... but "Hollywood" (i.e. the industry) is apparently full of people who describe themselves as "liberal progressives". I find it inconsistent then that "Hollywood" is just so keen to have so many guns in the films they make.

Now, I am not AT ALL saying Hollywood's contribution to the USA's "culture" is THE driving force behind gun deaths in the USA (after all, Australia gets all these same films and we don't have the same gun problem) but you'd think the people running Hollywood (given their progressive values) would be more aware / more willing to remove guns from their films... similarly to how how they removed cigarettes.

(Note, I am not saying all guns should be removed from all films / television. It's more that guns just seem so ubiquitous in Hollywood productions these days).

Also, you'd think the "god loving" red necks would similarly want to do things to minimize guns in the community too.

Alas.

Last edited by Bruno on Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:54 pm

Interesting point. They are probably only 'liberal progressive' when it doesn't cost them anything. Guns and explosions put bums on seats.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:04 pm

I'm not in favour of sanitising films, but the way guns are fetishised in film advertising has always bothered me. Pretty much every action movie will give prominent place to a gun. It's a visual code, essentially: guns = exciting; this will be an exciting film.

I don't think it's necessarily so tenuous to argue that it (along with violent video games) might have played a role in creating a culture of gun fetishisation. This is all worthy of more in-depth research, but I think there's reason to suggest a link. Most people who watch violent films won't go on a shooting spree, of course, but it only takes an unbalanced individual who's been exposed to this stimuli and can easily purchase a gun for a situation like this to occur. I don't think that's necessarily a reason to regulate media content, however.

For me, the easiest answer to all of that is to simply restrict access. The human mind is complex and unpredictable; taking unnecessary killing machines out of shops is simple.

Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:06 pm

That's a very practical way to look at it. I see this more as a mental health issue... but that's my fetish Wink
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:09 pm

There is move by Hollywood to remove guns from films and replace them with sumthing more wholesome.

Last edited by 3.14159 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:10 pm

Nick - Pie Man wrote:
That's a very practical way to look at it. I see this more as a mental health issue... but that's my fetish Wink

There's that too, but I guess that's a more holistic issue. As you said above, anyone in the right circumstance could shoot someone. The best solution to this seems to be the most obvious one.

Bruno 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:19 pm

David wrote:
I'm not in favour of sanitising films, but the way guns are fetishised in film advertising has always bothered me. Pretty much every action movie will give prominent place to a gun. It's a visual code, essentially: guns = exciting; this will be an exciting film.

I don't think it's necessarily so tenuous to argue that it (along with violent video games) might have played a role in creating a culture of gun fetishisation. This is all worthy of more in-depth research, but I think there's reason to suggest a link. Most people who watch violent films won't go on a shooting spree, of course, but it only takes an unbalanced individual who's been exposed to this stimuli and can easily purchase a gun for a situation like this to occur. I don't think that's necessarily a reason to regulate media content, however.

For me, the easiest answer to all of that is to simply restrict access. The human mind is complex and unpredictable; taking unnecessary killing machines out of shops is simple.

I agree with everything you write David.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:54 pm

Thanks! Good to be on the same side for once. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 3 of 25   

Jump to: