Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Slipper resigns...

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:13 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^^

But but.............

Howard did nothing good, Krudd saved us from the GFC. Shocked

Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:44 pm

^ Not true.

Howard did good twice: (1) Gun buyback; (2) Timor. Other than that, he was a slimy populist turd with generally cowardly, short-sighted, policies, most of them downright bad.

Rudd did good too. (1) Bold stimulus saved us from the GFC; (2)errr ... I don't think there is a (2). Not that I can think of just now, anyway. Other than that, he was a slimy populist turd with generally cowardly, short-sighted, policies, most of them downright bad.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:35 pm

Big T wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Big T wrote:
Yeah WPT, i reckon history will show Howard held in higher regard than Keating.

Depends whose doing the writing.

Keating however was funnier Very Happy

I give Howard kudos for 2 significant things:

1. East Timor
2. Gun Laws

The rest of it IMO he was a nasty c*nt & a pr*ick (just to be even gendered with respect to using gentilia as a form of abuse ). Wink

You've got to be kidding, Big T. History is already showing Howard to have been a backward experiment in stalling inevitable progress - all the while being a miserable pric* as WPT says.

Reform of the entire economy including floating of the dollar - done despite the pric*. Lasting inflation-fighting Accord with the unions - done despite the pric*. The best superannuation scheme in the world - done despite the pric* Integration with Asia - done despite the pric*. The formation of APEC - done despite the pric*. Multiculturalism - done despite the pric*. Apology - done despite the pric*. NBN - done despite the pric* propping up Telstra. Republic - coming soon despite the pric*. Iraq and Afghanistan - pathetic unethical failure championed by the pric*. Work choices - obsessive miserable failure pushed by the pric*. Miserable treatment of refugees for political gain - international embarrassment driven by the pric*. Bitter miserable politics - lasting national damage unleashed by the pric*.

What a disgraceful waste of 11 years of economic and social development setup and driven by Hawke and Keating. The only people who will long for his memory are those of much the same miserable selfish character.

Sure, thats a well balanced and non biased comparison. .......

I have zero hatred for Howard. I think the East timor thing deserves a special mention because that is what was needed & no other bloody pollie done it. That was exceptional & should net be merely seen as just another item on a check list. It stands well above other things & I salute him for it.

In the last year or two Howard was spending like a drunken sailor in a whore house. The tax privileges he gave to rich were abominable - e.g.: The wealthy could place millions in super - effectively tax free. What social good comes from that action, how does that help anybody? His actions over the baby overboard was cynical politics played at its worst

But I'm truly shocked you could consider this bias Shocked Shocked

My older brother always told me that what he says is fact & what I say is opinion when i was a kid

I'm well balanced in my opinions I have a chip on both my shoulders Wink

Yes I know its an oldie but I like it Wink Very Happy

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:52 am

Big T wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Big T wrote:
Yeah WPT, i reckon history will show Howard held in higher regard than Keating.

Depends whose doing the writing.

Keating however was funnier Very Happy

I give Howard kudos for 2 significant things:

1. East Timor
2. Gun Laws

The rest of it IMO he was a nasty c*nt & a pr*ick (just to be even gendered with respect to using gentilia as a form of abuse ). Wink

You've got to be kidding, Big T. History is already showing Howard to have been a backward experiment in stalling inevitable progress - all the while being a miserable pric* as WPT says.

Reform of the entire economy including floating of the dollar - done despite the pric*. Lasting inflation-fighting Accord with the unions - done despite the pric*. The best superannuation scheme in the world - done despite the pric* Integration with Asia - done despite the pric*. The formation of APEC - done despite the pric*. Multiculturalism - done despite the pric*. Apology - done despite the pric*. NBN - done despite the pric* propping up Telstra. Republic - coming soon despite the pric*. Iraq and Afghanistan - pathetic unethical failure championed by the pric*. Work choices - obsessive miserable failure pushed by the pric*. Miserable treatment of refugees for political gain - international embarrassment driven by the pric*. Bitter miserable politics - lasting national damage unleashed by the pric*.

What a disgraceful waste of 11 years of economic and social development setup and driven by Hawke and Keating. The only people who will long for his memory are those of much the same miserable selfish character.

Sure, thats a well balanced and non biased comparison. Fair dinkum you party boffins are all so biased and one eyed that politics has become a mere extension of your football based tribalism. Its certainly not the centre for independent thought around here. Twist a few facts and ram them down the throat of anyone who has the unfortunate experience to drift by.

And spare me the "Abbott punched a wall" boo hoo cry baby antics, when u r so full of hatd and vitriol when describing opposing parties. U r the same.

Feel free to list all these great things Howard achieved, all the terrible things he managed to avoid, all the prescient policies he put in place, and all of the great things he championed that those on the other side of the aisle blocked.

I see others have managed to scratch up two things for you. Bravo. Better pop those in 128 pt arial bold so the list is as long as Keating's and you can avoid the charge of bias!

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:08 pm

i find it very funny that Abbott hasn't had time to read the transcript or the outcome of the Federal Court's decision on Ashby and Slipper, but he has the time to make the following comment on the QLD MP who has asked the Federal Police to investigate the whole incident further:

Quote:
On Sunday, Opposition Leader Tony Abbott said the government was "hyperventilating" and asked whether Mr Perrett had government help drafting his letter.

"They should get over it, they should accept that there has been no conspiracy," he said.

how hilarious is that!

Abbott, wish you'd gotten over the AWU stuff with Gillard during Parliamentery question time when REAL issues could have been debated.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:32 pm

Proud Pies wrote:
i find it very funny that Abbott hasn't had time to read the transcript or the outcome of the Federal Court's decision on Ashby and Slipper, but he has the time to make the following comment on the QLD MP who has asked the Federal Police to investigate the whole incident further:

Quote:
"They should get over it, they should accept that there has been no conspiracy," he said.

how hilarious is that!

Oh, but we have it on the very best of authority - Abbott himself, as interpreted by the boot-licking International Editor of the Australian Financial Review. "Abbott should be given credit for his intellectual curiosity at least. Politicians who read seriously are a rare commodity these days." That's from Friday's Fin, and it was printed completely straight-faced. What a howler! Wink Laughing

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:11 am

Surely the Coalition smell hasn't evaporated

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/politics/surely-the-coalition-smell-hasnt-evaporated-20130117-2cw5l.html

Absolutely essential reading. Once all this stuff comes out in full, Abbott is dead meat.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:15 am

When? Not all of them?
Bruno 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:27 pm

Tannin wrote:
Surely the Coalition smell hasn't evaporated

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/politics/surely-the-coalition-smell-hasnt-evaporated-20130117-2cw5l.html

Absolutely essential reading. Once all this stuff comes out in full, Abbott is dead meat.

I stopped reading after the third paragraph. Not because of what was being written or what I might learn out of it. I stopped reading simply because the Labor Party has set the bar so low that all Tony Abbott has to do to respond to any allegations is keep repeating the word "smear".

I hope your happy it has come to this Tannin. After all, your side of politics is responsible for it.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:21 pm

Bruno wrote:
I stopped reading before I saw any of the damning evidence in this article

^ Corrected for truth.

The Liberal Party dirty tricks have now been exposed for the whole world to see, and we are not talking some party politician making a speech here, we are talking findings of fact by the judge who tried the case.

Nicksters, read that article all the way through. It is a slow burn which builds its case up gradually and carefully, but by the time you get to the end of it, you will have seen the smoking guns for yourself.

Abbott can't possibly wriggle out of his guilt on this one. All he can do is hope like hell that he can hold on long enough to have the election first before it all comes out.

(Disclaimer: that would be my preferred option also - election first, Abbott's guilt and resignation afterwards. Obviously, given Gillard's lack of electoral appeal, the unpopular Abbott's continuing leadership of the opposition is one of the strongest assets the Labor camp can count on come election day. I imagine this is why that have gone quiet on this massive time bomb right in the middle of the senior leaders of the Liberal Party - the last thing they want is to see Abbott replaced by someone better-liked unless the election campaign is too far advanced for that to matter.)

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:40 pm

Tannin wrote:
Bruno wrote:
I stopped reading before I saw any of the damning evidence in this article

^ Corrected for truth.

The Liberal Party dirty tricks have now been exposed for the whole world to see, and we are not talking some party politician making a speech here, we are talking findings of fact by the judge who tried the case.

Nicksters, read that article all the way through. It is a slow burn which builds its case up gradually and carefully, but by the time you get to the end of it, you will have seen the smoking guns for yourself.

Abbott can't possibly wriggle out of his guilt on this one. All he can do is hope like hell that he can hold on long enough to have the election first before it all comes out.

(Disclaimer: that would be my preferred option also - election first, Abbott's guilt and resignation afterwards. Obviously, given Gillard's lack of electoral appeal, the unpopular Abbott's continuing leadership of the opposition is one of the strongest assets the Labor camp can count on come election day. I imagine this is why that have gone quiet on this massive time bomb right in the middle of the senior leaders of the Liberal Party - the last thing they want is to see Abbott replaced by someone better-liked unless the election campaign is too far advanced for that to matter.)

A comment on the bolded bit. I am genuinely astounded at the amount of angst out there about her, from people who I would consider to be labor heartland stuff.

I don't understand if it's sexism, misogynistism or any other kind of ism, I really don't get it.

eg, I have a cousin who's a truck driver in Alice Springs. He does the Alice to Adelaide and back route. Would do my head in, but he's happy.

He's a fan of Abbott and hates Gillard with a passion Confused

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:49 pm

I think there are many reasons, Stui, but first amongst them, I reckon it is because, as a public speaker, Gillard is the worst we have ever seen. (Amongst senior politicians, I mean. And Billy McMahon in '72 was pretty damn bad.) She is an excellent leader, quite outstanding in many respects, but she simply cannot make a prepared speech to save her life.

(Off the cuff, when she improvises, that is a different story. Look at her devestating misogyny speech - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsvuFzE5ZJA - that flew around the world in days and Abbott has never quite recovered from it.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:02 pm

I'd actually argue that the misogyny speech hurt her with people like my cousin.

It resonated around the world and got serious traction, but I don't know if it actually converted many people to her team who already weren't inclined that way.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:33 pm

As an example, this pic has had 1700 likes on Facebook. It's been shared 1400 times so probably a few more likes along the way. Not a lot, but it gives you the idea. I don't agree BTW.

There's a lot worse ones, both of Bud and Jules.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:38 pm

^ yeah, but he's a redneck. Shocked Well, he drives a truck and lives in the Alice - those are pretty broad hints.

The polls show that Gillard's popularity increased significantly immediately after the speech; and also show that Abbott's very bad popularity rating went down further - his grossly offensive "dying of shame" words in particular hurt him.

I think a fair reading of this is that the strongly-againsts (like your truck driver mate) hardened their view, but a significant number of the moderately-against were encouraged to see Gillard in a new light.

Hell, even serious rednecks like Neil Mitchell were impressed:

Gillard's standing soars after misogyny speech - http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/breaking-news-blog/gillards-standing-soars-after-misogyny-speech/20121022-2804b.html

Also see (for example) Julia Gillard gets five point poll bounce following misogyny speech - http://www.tntdownunder.com/news/australia/julia-gillard-gets-five-point-poll-bounce-following-misogyny-speech

and even the Murdoch scum had to admit the truth:

New poll shows Julia Gillard popularity rising after misogyny speech - http://www.news.com.au/national/new-poll-shows-gillard-popularity-rising/story-fndo4eg9-1226500392217

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 12 of 15   

Jump to: