Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

For a great Club we are useless at produceing coaches....

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derkd 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:48 pm
Post subject: For a great Club we are useless at produceing coaches....Reply with quote

Strange fact ...i was having a drink with a mate of mine a few days back.. he was getting stuck into how he thought Buckley was a useless coach....and he hit me with a question:

Who was the last Collingwood player to coach a grandfinal winning side?

Answer: Mark Williams 2004

And before that.......Daylight.......... all the way back to Phonse Kyne in 1958.

His point: Buckley will fail if history is a guide...because Collingwood players for the most part are terrible coaches....and it is hard to argue against... i mean we have Jock McHale...but how far do we go back in ancient history....do the head count on Hawthorn player to coach ratio...and we se their must be something in the water in Glenferrie oval.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:13 pm
Post subject: Re: For a great Club we are useless at produceing coaches...Reply with quote

derkd wrote:
Strange fact ...i was having a drink with a mate of mine a few days back.. he was getting stuck into how he thought Buckley was a useless coach....and he hit me with a question:

And before that.......Daylight.......... all the way back to Phonse Kyne in 1958.

His point: Buckley will fail if history is a guide...because Collingwood players for the most part are terrible coaches....and it is hard to argue against... i mean we have Jock McHale...but how far do we go back in ancient history....do the head count on Hawthorn player to coach ratio...and we se their must be something in the water in Glenferrie oval.

A fairer question would be which Collingwood player coached a GF side. Winning a GF requires luck and is sometimes out of the coaches control. But getting to a GF is a better measure as it means a sustained high level over 26 weeks.

collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:12 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. The last great home grown coach at Collingwood was old Jock McHale. That was about two millennia ago in footy time. Razz

Actually, Guy McKenna looks like he'll be available after tonight. Razz Razz Laughing Wink

derkd 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:04 pm

collie dog wrote:
Correct. The last great home grown coach at Collingwood was old Jock McHale. That was about two millennia ago in footy time. Razz

Actually, Guy McKenna looks like he'll be available after tonight. Razz Razz Laughing Wink

lol true last time i cheeked McKenna played his whole career at West Coast lol

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:12 pm

we're not in the business of producing coaches. it isn't a coaching academy.
King Malta Leo

RIP Flip

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:27 pm

John Wren wrote:
we're not in the business of producing coaches. it isn't a coaching academy.

You should know better than that JW!

What ever we're doing, we shouldn't be doing. Whatever we aren't doing, we should be doing. Laughing
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:54 pm

That statistic is simply a reflection of our relative lack of Premiership success since 1958. Coaches tend to be recruited from teams who have enjoyed multiple Premiership success. Once Bucks delivers us 3 Premierships I tip there will be 3-4 ex Collingwood players coaching other teams around 2020.
BEAMER09 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:08 pm

With all due respect, I wouldn't care who coaches the team, just effen win a grand final or 2 or 3 or 5 and I'll shut up...
Flashman 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:16 pm
Post subject: Re: For a great Club we are useless at produceing coaches...Reply with quote

derkd wrote:

Hawthorn off the top of my head have produced 4 premiership winning coaches in their history, John Kennedy, David Parkin, Leigh Matthews and Alan Joyce.

Not bad but we've produced one more albeit in a longer period and much earlier in VFL/AFL history George Angus, Dan Minogue, Jock McHale, Phonse Kyne and Choco Williams.

It's understandable that plenty of coaches have come out of that successful 70-80's Hawthorn era just as the great 70's Richmond era produced plenty, as did North and now Brisbane is producing a heap of coaches as well.

All of these clubs had dynasties (generally benefitting from the regional zoning days, the 10 year rule and salary cap concessions) something which Collingwood hasn't had for a long time. Coaches are generally sourced from successful club backgrounds these days.

I don't think our lack of coaches is due to some ingrained inferiority on our personnel's part though.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:50 pm

ever heard of Jock McHale have we. ????

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
derkd 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:08 pm

Piesnchess wrote:

I made mention of him...my point was post in regards to the modern era particularly post 1958. What most would consider 'struggleville' for the Pies.

derkd 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:11 pm

Flashman wrote:
derkd wrote:

Hawthorn off the top of my head have produced 4 premiership winning coaches in their history, John Kennedy, David Parkin, Leigh Matthews and Alan Joyce.

Not bad but we've produced one more albeit in a longer period and much earlier in VFL/AFL history George Angus, Dan Minogue, Jock McHale, Phonse Kyne and Choco Williams.

It's understandable that plenty of coaches have come out of that successful 70-80's Hawthorn era just as the great 70's Richmond era produced plenty, as did North and now Brisbane is producing a heap of coaches as well.

All of these clubs had dynasties (generally benefitting from the regional zoning days, the 10 year rule and salary cap concessions) something which Collingwood hasn't had for a long time. Coaches are generally sourced from successful club backgrounds these days.

I don't think our lack of coaches is due to some ingrained inferiority on our personnel's part though.

That is true.....success breeds success

regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:48 am

interesting to check out coaches. the big 4 coaches, with 15 premierships between them are Barassi, Hafey Jeans and Kennedy.

their record is such:

Barassi 4 premierships, and as a coach of coaches he has the following - John Nicholls 1 premiership, Jesaulenko (1) Roos (1) Blight (2) Pagan (2) Walls (1)

Hafey 4 premierships and Jewell (1) Malthouse (3) Sheedy (4) Williams (1)

Kennedy 3 premierships plus Matthews (4) Parkin (4) Longmire (1) Joyce 2 Clarkson 2

Jeans 4 premierships plus Matthews 4 Malthouse 3

This dynasty has supplied most of the premierships since 1966. sadly only one Magpie in this line up.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:45 am

Let's hope Nanthan Buckley makes it then.
collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:33 pm

Piesnchess wrote:

Many at the Westpac Centre wouldn't know who old Jock was from Hiss. I mean we don't even have a statue for him. Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: