Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How to annoy a creationist: feathered dinosaurs

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

think positive wrote:

I believe, that the night my life was toughest (dad drunk as a skunk and looking to fight) my Grandad sat on the end of my bed, held my hand and let me know it would be ok.

I believe this, because I picked him from a photo, when I did not know what he looked like. he died when I was a year old.

At the risk of sounding like a cnut, that part is no evidence of a God, but potential evidence of spirits , which I don't actually disagree with.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:25 pm

stui magpie wrote:
think positive wrote:

I believe, that the night my life was toughest (dad drunk as a skunk and looking to fight) my Grandad sat on the end of my bed, held my hand and let me know it would be ok.

I believe this, because I picked him from a photo, when I did not know what he looked like. he died when I was a year old.

At the risk of sounding like a cnut, that part is no evidence of a God, but potential evidence of spirits , which I don't actually disagree with.

that's ok honey, i like c/ nuts!! lots of protein!!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:26 pm

^

Shocked Confused Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Wink

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:28 pm

Shocked I thought that thing with the protein was c/perm. Shocked
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:31 pm

think positive wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Well, I don't know that it offends anyone, laird - but it sure insults our intelligence.

that really is not necessary
please don't do that

TP, I absolutely promise not to insult your intelligence.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:35 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
think positive wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Well, I don't know that it offends anyone, laird - but it sure insults our intelligence.

please don't do that

and here i thought you were a nice guy,

how dumb am i

Last edited by think positive on Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
laird 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:35 pm

Wokko wrote:
laird wrote:

So it is a proven, universal fact?

I understand exactly what the opinions of others are in regard to evolution. Read many of Darwin's books etc. Studied them a great deal. If you are going to make a serious decision, you must explore all sides. Have you?

So please do not try and tell me that I do not understand the theory of evolution. I have seen the evidence put forth from both sides. I have lived in the real world on both sides. I have made my decision (pssst, I'm not the only one).

To me and millions everywhere, it is the truth based on evidence ( not blind faith)! To you and millions based on your evidence, it is not.

It really is not that hard to understand, is it Confused

All boils down to opinion/beliefs.

This is what shits me about religion peddlers. They say they want absolute proof for Evolution, which based on the available facts today is the best, not disproved conclusion for those facts. If you can disprove an accepted scientific theory, congratulations, you're a scientist. Write an article for a journal, other scientists with check your reasoning and BINGO you're famous like Darwin.

While demanding absolute proof for the accepted scientific theory, a religionist will do everything possible to obfuscate and brow beat if you demand the same of them. Show me non biblical (a collection of books written by men and put together readers digest style by a committee) proof for pretty much anything written in the Bible. You can't beyond "A bloke called Jesus probably existed" because pretty much the whole book is total crap that is at best allegory, and quite a brutal, disgusting one at that.

Here's a quite amusing video about the Bible by a couple of magicians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfp6QipYV3w

Mate, I asked if it is a proven, universal fact. Yes or no. I did not ask for proof. You cannot prove it, nor can I.
I honestly could not care less about proving anything to anyone. I could not give a ****. It is for you to seek the truth. If you think you have it, then good for you. That is your decision.

Ps. It is amazing how many people I have witnessed who think God is a joke - have done all their lives - until death and tragedy strike.

Then it is a different story.

Now, I type about 60 words an hour so I need to go and read some replies I have missed. Believe it or not, I enjoy a discussion on religion and like to know what other Nicksters views are. Does not change a thing in regard to my beliefs but everyone's opinion is valid and important.

laird 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:46 pm

think positive wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

please don't do that

Hi Jo. Cheers but I probably deserved that. I hooked into Tannin earlier and p4s hooked into me. Some may call that Karma Shocked

We are all big boys and girls here Wink

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:54 pm

think positive wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
think positive wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

please don't do that

how dumb am i

hey, you're not dumb.

For a Pom. Wink

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:58 pm

laird wrote:

I understand exactly what the opinions of others are in regard to evolution. Read many of Darwin's books etc. Studied them a great deal. If you are going to make a serious decision, you must explore all sides. Have you?

So please do not try and tell me that I do not understand the theory of evolution. I have seen the evidence put forth from both sides. I have lived in the real world on both sides. I have made my decision (pssst, I'm not the only one).

To me and millions everywhere, it is the truth based on evidence ( not blind faith)! To you and millions based on your evidence, it is not.

With respect, I think you've simplified the matter somewhat. It is not mere opinion or belief that penicillin makes for a better medicine than leeches; nor is it mere opinion or belief that objects are comprised of atoms; nor is it mere opinion or belief that a rocket constructed in a certain manner launched in a certain way can make it to the moon and back. These conclusions are all the result of rigorous application of the scientific method, and I presume you accept all of these as valid, so why do you entirely dismiss an equivalent field of scientific research?

Most of the areas I mentioned above (and many more) involve complex science, and many may not seem credible at first glance. Think about it: isn't it weird that the Earth just happens to keep spinning around the sun without stopping or falling out of orbit? Isn't it strange that you can talk to someone from a different continent on a telephone? Can we really know as much as we do about electromagnetic fields? You're not skeptical about these, I'm presuming, because you have no reason to be; furthermore, if you rejected all fields of scientific research, you wouldn't have much to base your knowledge of the world on.

Let me ask you this: what do you think motivates astronomers, physicists or marine biologists? And why is this human thirst for knowledge absent from the science of evolutionary biology? Seeing as how the Bible isn't a scientific text, wouldn't you have expected somebody to propose an alternative theory for the origin of life by now?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:03 pm

stui magpie wrote:
think positive wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
think positive wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

please don't do that

how dumb am i

hey, you're not dumb.

For a Pom. Wink

Hey bucko

3-0 is bad for ratings, we will give you 1!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:05 pm

David wrote:
laird wrote:

With respect, I think you've simplified the matter somewhat. It is not mere opinion or belief that penicillin makes for a better medicine than leeches; nor is it mere opinion or belief that objects are comprised of atoms; nor is it mere opinion or belief that a rocket constructed in a certain manner launched in a certain way can make it to the moon and back. These conclusions are all the result of rigorous application of the scientific method, and I presume you accept all of these as valid, so why do you entirely dismiss an equivalent field of scientific research?

Most of the areas I mentioned above (and many more) involve complex science, and many may not seem credible at first glance. Think about it: isn't it weird that the Earth just happens to keep spinning around the sun without stopping or falling out of orbit? Isn't it strange that you can talk to someone from a different continent on a telephone? Can we really know as much as we do about electromagnetic fields? You're not skeptical about these, I'm presuming, because you have no reason to be; furthermore, if you rejected all fields of scientific research, you wouldn't have much to base your knowledge of the world on.

Let me ask you this: what do you think motivates astronomers, physicists or marine biologists? And why is this human thirst for knowledge absent from the science of evolutionary biology? Seeing as how the Bible isn't a scientific text, wouldn't you have expected somebody to propose an alternative theory for the origin of life by now?

I wanna no what started it

Big bang?

WhT went bang? Is there an edge? What's past the edge?

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:07 pm

think positive wrote:
[quote="stui magpie"][quote="think positive"][quote="Pies4shaw"][quote="think positive"][quote="Pies4shaw"]Well, I don't know that it offends anyone, laird - but it sure insults our intelligence.[/quote]

please don't do that[/quote]
TP, I absolutely promise not to insult your intelligence.[/quote]

how dumb am i[/quote]

hey, you're not dumb.

For a Pom. Wink[/quote]

Hey bucko

Is that among the best things you can say?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:09 pm

think positive wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
think positive wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
think positive wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

please don't do that

how dumb am i

hey, you're not dumb.

For a Pom. Wink

Hey bucko

Pay that. Razz Cool Wink

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:10 pm

think positive wrote:
I wanna no what started it

Big bang?

WhT went bang? Is there an edge? What's past the edge?

It's a great question, and one that I (and most people here, I'd wager) would find very difficult to explain. I find this version of wikipedia good for explaining difficult scientific concepts like this:

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang

Quote:
In the Big Bang theory, the universe began as very hot, small, and dense, with no stars, atoms, form, or structure (called a "singularity"). Then about 14 billion years ago, space expanded very quickly (thus the name "Big Bang"), resulting in the formation of atoms, which eventually lead to the creation of stars and galaxies. The universe is still expanding today, but getting colder as well.

As a whole, space is growing and the temperature is falling as time passes. Cosmology is the name given to how the universe began and how it has developed. Scientists that study cosmology agree the Big Bang theory matches what they have observed so far.

Fred Hoyle called the theory the "Big Bang" on his radio show. He did not believe the Big Bang was correct. Scientists who did not agree with him thought the name was funny and decided to use it. Since then, Fred Hoyle's reasons for not agreeing with the theory have been proven wrong.

Scientists base the Big Bang theory on many different observations. The most important is the redshift of very far away galaxies. Redshift is the Doppler Effect occurring in light. When an object moves away from earth, it looks reddish because the movement stretches the wavelength. The reddish color occurs because red is the lowest wavelength on the visible spectrum. The more redshift there is, the faster the object is moving away. By measuring the redshift, scientists proved that the universe is expanding and can even work out how fast the object is moving. With precise observation and measurements, scientists believe that universe was a singularity approximately 13.8 billion years ago. Because most things become colder as they expand, the universe is assumed to have been very hot when it started.

Other observations that support the Big Bang theory are the amounts of chemical elements in the universe. Amounts of hydrogen, helium, and lithium seem to agree with the theory of the Big Bang. Scientists also have found "cosmic microwaves background radiation". This radiation is known as radio waves, and they are everywhere in the universe. Even so, it is now very weak and cold, but a long time ago it was very strong and very hot.

The Big Bang might also have been the beginning of time. If the Big Bang was the beginning of time, then there was no universe before the Big Bang, since there was no concept of "before" without time. Other ideas state that the Big Bang was not the beginning of time 13.8 billion years ago. Instead, some believe that there was a different universe before and it may have been very different from the one we know today.

This might be interesting too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjaGktVQdNg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8   

Jump to: