Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How to annoy a creationist: feathered dinosaurs

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:09 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

laird wrote:
Tannin wrote:
Classic, textbook behaviour from those who cannot create a rational case for their irrational view. When all else fails, spew personal abuse at whoever said whatever it that showed you up.

you really live in a bubble if you think you are the most polite poster.

^^^ And here we have another excellent example of a popular dirty tactic: make up something outrageously untrue and pretend that your opponent said it, or (slightly more subtle version of same) just post as if he had said it. Thankyou for providing the timely example.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:17 pm

I'm sure tyradacols had feathers

I'm sure that's spelt wrong

My iPad is dumb today

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:32 pm

laird wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
laird wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
I think you may have missed my point, which was that Hoyle - who was not a believer in either category (except, perhaps, in the "X-Files" sense) - therefore had no excuse for saying something which we are all dumber for hearing.

It was just his opinion as it yours or mine. Whether you feel dumber or not from his opinion really is your business. It is not fact that his opinion or anyone's opinion is dumb or makes you dumber - it is just that you do not agree with it.

Have a wonderful day mate Smile

Either you can't seriously believe this or else you have lost all your critical faculties. Not all "opinions" are equally worthy. Some are just so entirely unmeritorious that one must discard them - "agree" or "disagree" has nothing to do with it.

Many millions of people all across the world disagree with your opinion - they would say that the opinion of evolution is unworthy and that one must discard it.

Annnnnd around we go Razz

No, around you go.

It's OK not to like evolution. It's OK to be embarrassed by it. It's OK not to understand it. But it isn't OK to pretend that it is just an "opinion".
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:34 pm

Should I agree with it? I have heard that opinion, but I would like to know more before I form my own.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:50 pm

You, HAL, are not the product of evolution. You were created.

(Thank God God doesn't exist, otherwise there would be more than one of you.)

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:54 pm

I was?
laird 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:09 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
laird wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
laird wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
I think you may have missed my point, which was that Hoyle - who was not a believer in either category (except, perhaps, in the "X-Files" sense) - therefore had no excuse for saying something which we are all dumber for hearing.

It was just his opinion as it yours or mine. Whether you feel dumber or not from his opinion really is your business. It is not fact that his opinion or anyone's opinion is dumb or makes you dumber - it is just that you do not agree with it.

Have a wonderful day mate Smile

Either you can't seriously believe this or else you have lost all your critical faculties. Not all "opinions" are equally worthy. Some are just so entirely unmeritorious that one must discard them - "agree" or "disagree" has nothing to do with it.

Many millions of people all across the world disagree with your opinion - they would say that the opinion of evolution is unworthy and that one must discard it.

Annnnnd around we go Razz

No, around you go.

It's OK not to like evolution. It's OK to be embarrassed by it. It's OK not to understand it. But it isn't OK to pretend that it is just an "opinion".

So it is a proven, universal fact?

I understand exactly what the opinions of others are in regard to evolution. Read many of Darwin's books etc. Studied them a great deal. If you are going to make a serious decision, you must explore all sides. Have you?

So please do not try and tell me that I do not understand the theory of evolution. I have seen the evidence put forth from both sides. I have lived in the real world on both sides. I have made my decision (pssst, I'm not the only one).

To me and millions everywhere, it is the truth based on evidence ( not blind faith)! To you and millions based on your evidence, it is not.

It really is not that hard to understand, is it Confused

All boils down to opinion/beliefs.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:13 pm

think positive wrote:
I'm sure tyradacols had feathers

I'm sure that's spelt wrong

My iPad is dumb today

Jo, I think you might be thinking of Archaeopteryx. Pterodactyls were winged but completely reptilian, if I recall correctly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaeopteryx
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pterodactylus

Pies4shaw wrote:
My son is doing year 10 Science at an inner-Melbourne State school. He told me yesterday that his class is presently studying what he referred to as "Charles Darwin's beliefs about evolution".

I quizzed him on this a little more closely and it appears that (at least) his science teacher felt compelled to pander to the lunatic fringe on this issue by, first, warning students at the end of year 9 that year 10 Science will deal with the Theory of Evolution ("which some among you may find offensive") and, secondly, by emphasising in teaching the year 10 course that evolution is "a theory" which is "not yet proven".

I am looking forward to my son learning about rust in Chemistry next year. Hopefully, equal time will be given to the phlogiston theory there. Oxygen is against my religious beliefs and I am offended by the concept. Shocked

Is there no end to the tripe up with which we have to put in the name of "tolerance" of the superstitions of the semi-literate? What happened to the most important human right of all - the right to call an idiot an idiot and dismiss their nonsense as, well, nonsense?

That's totally outrageous, and I hope you and other parents are writing some sternly-worded letters. Children's education is too important to be hijacked by that kind of stuff.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:40 pm

laird wrote:

(Astronomer) Fred Hoyle has calculated that the chance of life happening by accident is 1 in 10(40,000). That is a "1" with 40,000 noughts after it, a figure so enormous that it amounts to a total impossibility.

Hoyle believes that life didn't start on earth at all but in space and it evolved from cometborne life forms. His rejection of life happening 'by accident' on Earth isn't inferring it was created, it is stating that it arrived here extra-terrestrially. Hoyle was an Atheist, anti-theist and Darwinist who struggled with the improbability of life 'just happening'.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:54 pm

laird wrote:

So it is a proven, universal fact?

I understand exactly what the opinions of others are in regard to evolution. Read many of Darwin's books etc. Studied them a great deal. If you are going to make a serious decision, you must explore all sides. Have you?

So please do not try and tell me that I do not understand the theory of evolution. I have seen the evidence put forth from both sides. I have lived in the real world on both sides. I have made my decision (pssst, I'm not the only one).

To me and millions everywhere, it is the truth based on evidence ( not blind faith)! To you and millions based on your evidence, it is not.

This is what shits me about religion peddlers. They say they want absolute proof for Evolution, which based on the available facts today is the best, not disproved conclusion for those facts. If you can disprove an accepted scientific theory, congratulations, you're a scientist. Write an article for a journal, other scientists with check your reasoning and BINGO you're famous like Darwin.

While demanding absolute proof for the accepted scientific theory, a religionist will do everything possible to obfuscate and brow beat if you demand the same of them. Show me non biblical (a collection of books written by men and put together readers digest style by a committee) proof for pretty much anything written in the Bible. You can't beyond "A bloke called Jesus probably existed" because pretty much the whole book is total crap that is at best allegory, and quite a brutal, disgusting one at that.

Here's a quite amusing video about the Bible by a couple of magicians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfp6QipYV3w
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:11 pm

laird wrote:

For mine there is no evidence of any Gods, just faith and I don't have it.

But you're right, in the end it comes down to opinions and beliefs. You have the right to believe what you want as long as that belief doesn't lead you to hurt others or break the law.

You have the right to believe that others who hold contrary opinions are wrong, or fools or idiots or whatever.

I like the fact that we live in a country where people have these rights (whether prescribed or implied) and I'm happy to defend that.

I'm happy to argue my beliefs with people but I respect their right to have their own.

I agree with Tannin about how science works, but also acknowledge that for the vast majority of us who weren't present when any of these theory's were tested and proven, there's an element of faith involved in believing the outcomes.

I'm a logical creature, logical arguments can sway me, emotive appeals have zero chance. I'm also a cynic.

if what you believe makes you happy in life, then go for it and I wish you the best.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:13 pm

I believe in dinosaurs

I believe in God

I believe, that the night my life was toughest (dad drunk as a skunk and looking to fight) my Grandad sat on the end of my bed, held my hand and let me know it would be ok.

I believe this, because I picked him from a photo, when I did not know what he looked like. he died when I was a year old.

i believe in science, and that man was once Ape, since i love animals, that actually gives me comfort.

i believe in both.

i also believe we have the greatest footy team on the planet.

and i believe in Karma, most of all.

i just wish it would hurry up sometimes.

peace be with you all

laird 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:16 pm

Wokko wrote:
laird wrote:

(Astronomer) Fred Hoyle has calculated that the chance of life happening by accident is 1 in 10(40,000). That is a "1" with 40,000 noughts after it, a figure so enormous that it amounts to a total impossibility.

Hoyle believes that life didn't start on earth at all but in space and it evolved from cometborne life forms. His rejection of life happening 'by accident' on Earth isn't inferring it was created, it is stating that it arrived here extra-terrestrially. Hoyle was an Atheist, anti-theist and Darwinist who struggled with the improbability of life 'just happening'.

Probably. Just thought I would throw a scientist's theory in there since it is popular with some. He got it wrong hey. Not shocked.

Personally, I do not know his work and take zero of my beliefs from he or anyone who is the creation. To form an opinion based on someone else's say so, is not for me.

They are simply men and women seeking answers that cannot be answered.
No problem at all.

There is a much higher source of wisdom available. You do not get any higher.

I also understand totally how evolution could be seen as possible. To many, even likely. I do not believe that anyone who believes in evolution is dumb nor is it my place to say so simply because I do not agree.

I spent half my 42 years on the street where you fight for what you want, love or need. God saved me, literally. I guess I take this same aggression into my love for God. If this offends anyone, then I apologise.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:19 pm

Well, I don't know that it offends anyone, laird - but it sure insults our intelligence.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:22 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Well, I don't know that it offends anyone, laird - but it sure insults our intelligence.

that really is not necessary
please don't do that

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8   

Jump to: