Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post match. Swans down Pies - all comments please

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

rocketronnie wrote:
The Jmac funeral aside the usual problems killed us last night as they have all season. The boys tried their best but it was too big an ask for them to beat Sydney who are a superior side to us at the moment.

Below are some things arising from the match last night and representative of known problems we have

1. Ineffectual kick outs and kick out planning mean that as often as not the ball is turned over and is straight back into the opposition forward fifty again. Its been endemic all year and its a key thing to get right over the off season. (Leon says hello BTW. What was he really worth to us?).

2. Poor defensive planning at stoppages. For example some sides have worked out that if you can get the ball to the edge of the stoppage pack you can get the ball to a stoppage sweeper who will clear it for the opposition every time. We don't play such a sweeper any more. Hawthorn always do that to us and so did Sydney last night.

3. Ineffectual half forward line. Krakouer injured then slow and underdone when he came back. Sinclair and Elliott - good kids but not physically imposing nor consistent enough. The Prince of Perth? Classy, elegant - does **** all. Sidebottom? Developing bad habits - would rather turn the ball over than be tackled, no defensive pressure, becoming lazy and dare I say it - soft. Lots of work to be put into the forward line again. If Macaffer doesn't come up and also progress a tall half forward will be needed also.

4. Dawes is starting to impose at second ruck at times. So the question is do we need another second ruck or do we need a another key forward?

This might sound like Im bagging the team but I'm not. We did about as well as could be expected and for me its a pass for both coach and team. The boys did their best in what was a confronting year from start to finish and you can't ask for more than that.

However those issues need to be addressed or to show progress next year for us to at least to maintain our current position in the league.

I reckon thats about spot on RR.

We have come down the mountain since being the best team in it between July 2010 and July 2011.
A lot of players have not come on, and the loss of both Leon (kick outs) and The Anvil have been magnified by injuries early in the season.

I was at the game last night, and we never looked anywhere near it, bar 10 minutes in the 4th, but the game was well over by then. We were really flat, and only guts and determination kept it as close as it was. It was old fashioned drubbing make no mistake, again providing a reminder of 2009, and a sense of deja vu.

I reckon that about where we are at, 2009 levels, about the 4th or 3rd best team in it but with some seriously structural and game plan issues.

BTW sorry to see Taz go, but he had his chances at Premiership glory; they should of won in 2003, and last year

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:56 pm

Swan is a real worry; I would seriously think of leaving him up forward permanently for the rest of his career, I reckon his midfield days are numbered

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
rocketronnie 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:32 pm

Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:
Swan is a real worry; I would seriously think of leaving him up forward permanently for the rest of his career, I reckon his midfield days are numbered

Swan's issue is perhaps motivation more than anything else. I think he's good for the midfield if we can get his head in the right place.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:30 pm

Culprit wrote:
We were never going to win, a team with an weeks extra rest v a team who had a hard slog the week before and an emotional week on top of that. It's not hindsight it's reality. We were stuffed as we ran out. Had it been a normal week we would have won as they were shocking. Whoever they play will win the flag.

Massive effort by the team to get to 4th as we were gone after round 3 and with so many injuries we looked set to struggle to make the top eight.

Footy season is over, look forward to next year. Now starts the off season which means painting and renos back in full swing.

Note: Wellers worse game ever.

Agreed.
GreekLunatic 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:39 pm

we havent played a four quarter game all year we played in spirts. Thats what needs addressing.
saundo 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:22 pm

Strange feeling. Hard to watch last night as we were mentally spent from the start. No spark. Also feel the year finished as expected but with a feeling it could have been a lot better. No more frustration this year. Bring on 2013.

Stick with Bux and get behind him. He will do the job. Team will be in second year under Buckley and expect to see more cohesive play.

Still think we have the swans covered if all things equal.
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:35 pm

Beast wrote:

Angry at JMac's funeral being scheduled so close to the game.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Read what I had to say about empathy clown.

Seriously, as if the McCarthy family gave a flying **** about our prelim final clashing with the saddest day of their lives. If you don't get that, then get a ****en life. There is more to life than footy.

Australians have an unhealthy obsession with sport.
Macedonian Marvel #35 Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:37 pm

rocketronnie wrote:
Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:

Swan's issue is perhaps motivation more than anything else. I think he's good for the midfield if we can get his head in the right place.

Its tough to call, but both valid. It seems like Swan sometimes can have a lack of intensity.

If his head is right and he wants nothing more than team glory, then Swan is an out and out midfield superstar. But if he plays like his achieved all he can and just plods along, then maybe a roll up inside 50m for say 50 - 70 % of game time.

With the return of Ball, i would like to see a midfield set up of

C: Sidebottom - Pendlebury - Thomas

R: Jolly - Ball - Beams

Rotate Swan, his strength and power is a massive asset up forward, kind of similar to Bucks of late in his career.
ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:44 pm

Beast wrote:

Nah, you can't expect a family to leave their loved one laying in a morgue just so that we can play a game of footy.

They needed to put him to rest & get on with grieving & rightly so...

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
Macedonian Marvel #35 Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:54 pm

jack_spain wrote:
Beast wrote:

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Read what I had to say about empathy clown.

Seriously, as if the McCarthy family gave a flying **** about our prelim final clashing with the saddest day of their lives. If you don't get that, then get a ****en life. There is more to life than footy.

Australians have an unhealthy obsession with sport.

Agreed sorry Beast, but what you have said here is shocking
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:16 pm

rocketronnie wrote:
The Jmac funeral aside the usual problems killed us last night as they have all season. The boys tried their best but it was too big an ask for them to beat Sydney who are a superior side to us at the moment.

Below are some things arising from the match last night and representative of known problems we have

1. Ineffectual kick outs and kick out planning mean that as often as not the ball is turned over and is straight back into the opposition forward fifty again. Its been endemic all year and its a key thing to get right over the off season. (Leon says hello BTW. What was he really worth to us?).

2. Poor defensive planning at stoppages. For example some sides have worked out that if you can get the ball to the edge of the stoppage pack you can get the ball to a stoppage sweeper who will clear it for the opposition every time. We don't play such a sweeper any more. Hawthorn always do that to us and so did Sydney last night.

3. Ineffectual half forward line. Krakouer injured then slow and underdone when he came back. Sinclair and Elliott - good kids but not physically imposing nor consistent enough. The Prince of Perth? Classy, elegant - does **** all. Sidebottom? Developing bad habits - would rather turn the ball over than be tackled, no defensive pressure, becoming lazy and dare I say it - soft. Lots of work to be put into the forward line again. If Macaffer doesn't come up and also progress a tall half forward will be needed also.

4. Dawes is starting to impose at second ruck at times. So the question is do we need another second ruck or do we need a another key forward?

This might sound like Im bagging the team but I'm not. We did about as well as could be expected and for me its a pass for both coach and team. The boys did their best in what was a confronting year from start to finish and you can't ask for more than that.

However those issues need to be addressed or to show progress next year for us to at least to maintain our current position in the league.

Hard to disagree with any of that - though why we do not get Reid to take the kick-ins, I don't know. On your point 4, I think Dawes shoud be persisted with in his role, but I think we need a first ruck, as Jolly won't last forever and is increasingly injury-prone.

I don't think we should underestimate how hampered we must have been in having three or four players who had had very long stretches out of football this year - Krakouer, Johnson and Didak were never near their best this year, understandably, though they gave it everything.

MattyD 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:36 pm

beaten by 2 very good teams: the swans and the umpires
a miserly 8 free kicks paid for the entire game.

come on crows, shut those arrogant hawks' fans up!
PeterWH Scorpio

www.peakhillfm.com.au

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:14 pm

Hey Hiss,At least I am doing something with my life instead of throwing insults.Why dont you go back to the catery and look after your feline friends...I believe that they need you.
Any also its none of your damn business where I am going to,BUT I am going on a long deserved holiday,so unless you have a concrete comment keep your comments to yourself.
Unlike you I am visiting Australia first and then just maybe Japan./.......

Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:51 pm
Post subject: HeyReply with quote

PeterWH wrote:
Hey Hiss,At least I am doing something with my life instead of throwing insults.Why dont you go back to the catery and look after your feline friends...I believe that they need you.
Any also its none of your damn business where I am going to,BUT I am going on a long deserved holiday,so unless you have a concrete comment keep your comments to yourself.
Unlike you I am visiting Australia first and then just maybe Japan./.......

Hey you silly old bugger your whole reply to me was throwing insults! You insulted Geelong people and me. So spare me the crap about insults. Your posts try and make excuses for losing then insult people who dare try and suggest winning finals is a good thing.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:54 pm

I don't have any reason to insulted Geelong people and you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12   

Jump to: