Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Melbourne train strike

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:15 am
Post subject: Melbourne train strikeReply with quote

There's a full public transport strike on in Melbourne tomorrow from 10 until 2. Apparently, services from 8 until 4 will be affected.

I have a class at 11:30, but no idea how I'm going to make it. Driving seems to be a bad idea, too - twice as many cars on the road won't be fun. Is your day going to be affected by the strike, and if so, how are you planning to work around it?

(We can also make this a thread about the actual reasons for the strike if that's what people feel like - I have no opinion on that subject.)

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:08 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Rule 1 with industrial disputes is that nobody ever, ever, ever bloody tells you what it is about. Page after page after page of so-called journalism, and at the end of it you still have no bloody clue what the argument is about. You might learn "money" or "safety" or "rostering" if you are lucky, but it's easier to find out atom bomb secrets than it is to find out what the actual thing in dispute is in anywhere near enough detail to make rational judgment on it.

This has pissed me off for 40 bloody years, and though there are far fewer disputes these days, it hasn't improved one little bit. The only industrial disputes I have ever understood well enough to have an opinion on are the ones I have been personally involved in as a worker, a customer, and employer, or a family member.

What's the point of bloody journalists if they can't even report the bloody news. Sack the bloody lot of them and bring in some goons from Pravda. At least we'd get half the story that way.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:27 am

I'm sure there is some really obvious answer to this, but why aren't pay/conditions disputes simply decided by an independent government-funded arbitration body? Why do we have to go through this whole bargaining charade? Is it really so hard to work out what a fair wage is and apply it?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:28 am

Well, here in North Melbourne, there's only one thing for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjUZUWHoAqI
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:13 am

Suck it up the lot of you. You have known about this strike for over a week. Your poor planning is of no concern of mine.
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:22 am

My run from Roxburgh Park to Braybrook this morning took the same amount of time it always does.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:36 am

My daily commute from the bedroom to the kitchen via the bathroom was unaffected.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:16 am

Culprit wrote:
Suck it up the lot of you. You have known about this strike for over a week. Your poor planning is of no concern of mine.

There's nothing 'poor' about my planning. I could have had a year to mull this over, and I'd probably still be spending the day at home. I'm not complaining. Smile

Pies4shaw wrote:
Well, here in North Melbourne, there's only one thing for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjUZUWHoAqI

Lol. I lived on Abbotsford St a couple of years ago, just around the corner from North Melbourne station. Those were the days!

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:38 am

Bit industrial, there, David, wasn't it?
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:13 pm

I thought the traffic was lighter this morning than it usually is - maybe most decided to take the day off.

You could always ride? Or get a cab? But since it's now 11.15 & your class was at 11.30 I guess my late input is useless.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:18 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Bit industrial, there, David, wasn't it?

Yeah, there wasn't much to do except walk to Errol Street, and I wasn't crazy about the place we were sharehousing in (a fortress-like factory conversion). Knowing I could hop on a train with a minute's notice and end up in the city within five was great, though - I certainly miss that!

King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:21 pm

Dangles wrote:
My run from Roxburgh Park to Braybrook this morning took the same amount of time it always does.

I did Sunshine to Thomastown (and vice-versa in the evening) for a while a few years back when they were doing the ring road, ahem, road "works".
Always seemed an easier run the opposite way though????

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:33 pm

Will the Effect on Saturday or Sunday for the Footy?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:09 pm

David wrote:
I'm sure there is some really obvious answer to this, but why aren't pay/conditions disputes simply decided by an independent government-funded arbitration body? Why do we have to go through this whole bargaining charade? Is it really so hard to work out what a fair wage is and apply it?

Geezus David, learn a little bit about the Australian industrial relations system. Arbitration (having the independant umpire determine the outcome) is the last resort. The whole system is aimed at negotiation, then conciliation, then only arbitration where it's clear the parties can't agree or mutually ask for it.

Arbitration is generally accepted as the worst way to get a good outcome as neither party gets what they want but the outcome is binding. Negotiating an outcome is far preferable even if it takes a while.

Also, the "wage" is often the least of the issue, it's more often about conditions of employment. There's a myriad of things in an enterprise agreement that go to make up someones take home wage other than their base hourly rate.

What is the reason for the industrial action? Simple. It's a legitimate bargaining tactic once the negotiating parties reach an impasse. Withholding labour is the final circuit breaker and one of the few ways the workers can genuinely impact their employer.

Given that there's been minimal issues with the transport union for nearly 2 decades there's not a lot of argument to say that the transport union are just being pricks, on the surface they have a good recent track record .

Personally the strike had zero impact on me, I drive to work out east.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:41 pm

19% over four years. The faster unions are legally abolished the better. Disgusting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: