Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Caro nuts Harry for Beamsy

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:24 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

A few points here:

1. I don't think Dayne Beams "owes" Collingwood anything. We "stood by" him during the trial thing because he was never accused of anything, his mate was, and because it was beneficial for us not to suspend him. We wanted him on the field. It was a mutually beneficial decision not to suspend him, it wasn't done out of "letting justice take it's course" or whatever.

2. We will not be paying Dayne Beams on 9 good games. This is the best stretch of his career so far, but Christ, he's played a hell of a lot more good games than that in his career so far and it's not like this has come out of nowhere. He wasn't much worse than this during the second half of last year (pre finals obviously) for instance. For Thommo to say we'll be paying him on 9 good games is ignorant of how good he's been pretty much since the day he was drafted.

3. $400,000 goes a lot less than some people think it does. Travis Boak will get at least that much and who would you rather have? Essendon offered Travis Cloke $500,000 per year over three years and that was BEFORE he became an All Australian. And that wasn't enough for him. Look at the contract Mitch Clark, coming off two crap seasons for a crap team got. Again, who would you rather have? Yes, I know that KPF's are more scarce than midfielders, but come on.

4. I have no idea how much Collingwood can afford to pay him compared to other clubs, but related to point 3, I'm guessing someone will offer him a ton (not going to guess who) and he'll be worth it. I'm guessing he will have to take a sizeable discount to play for Collingwood and I won't blame him if he doesn't. It will really suck if we lose him, but that's life.

ClokingDevice 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:29 am

Well lets not pack his bags for him just yet

Rodney Eade said on Foxtel that players don't move clubs for 100 to 200,000 extra if the club has a good culture, is in a premiership window etc

And I think it was Parko pointed out the club stood by him all the way and backed him when he needed them to.. and evidently that's how Dayne's sees it too which is all that really counts

rand corp 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:34 am

You'd think that the pies and these players themselves will think long and hard before going on next year, I am talking about Jolly, Tarrant, Jonson, Didak, Krakour. Not all would be on top bracket money but, if two or even three of these decide its time to retire then you would have to think we can retain the rest.

Cloke is the main danger, wants a lot to stay and can get more if he goes, it comes down to how important he is to the whole set up, which is very I would suggest. I sure hope we manage to keep both Beams and Wellers, but the danger with these two is that including them we have about six to seven top flight mid fielders. We only have one top flight tall forward.
leonmagic Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:38 am

he's staying. he owes the club a LOT - more than most people would know.

he knows that too.
Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:38 am

I hope he does see it that way as it will make it a hell of a lot easier to keep him. He just shouldn't, that's all. I think people are going to be shocked at how much money is out there for Dayne. See: Scully, Tom. See also: Phil Davis, Callan Ward, Jared Brennan, Michael Rischitelli.

Of those guys, Ward is the only one you can even make an argument for as being as good as Beams, and that argument's weak. Yeah, these guys wages are inflated by crap expansion teams having to pay overs to get anyone to play for them, but that's the nature of free agency. Desperate loser clubs bid up everyone's price.

uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:45 am

It's not just who we lose that needs to be considered, it's where they go. The last thing I want to do is hand the premiership key to an opponent through a Cloke, Reid, Beams,.... ect.

Having said that, media speculation should not change the course of a contract negotiation.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:47 am

I am happy I dont watch footy classified tripe!

www.facebook/the hybernators
Brenny 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:50 am

Thing is though, if Carlton offered him 900k at 5 years, as a restricted free agent, if Collingwood couldn't match it, Cloke is within his right to go.

It's like St Kilda really not wanting to talk to the Pies about Ball. Why would you want to hand Collingwood a gun player and help them win a flag? But now, they don't really get a say as a restricted/free agent.

Last edited by Brenny on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
ClokingDevice 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:51 am

3rd degree wrote:

You are missing some classic comedy, when Thommo starts targeting Vlad or the AFL I'm in stitches.. and that horror head appearing from behind the Caro's Arrow graphic looking like the reincarnation of Deadly Ernest on a Friday night, classic stuff:lol:

Last edited by ClokingDevice on Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Peponi 

There is only one team. And that team is Collingwood.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:53 am

Every year, every club has salary cap restrictions (except for Carlton, it appeared in the 1990s LOL).

Clubs find ways to keep players. They know from now who will be retiring at season's end or next year and could offer Beams less next year than what he thinks he's worth and more in year 2 or 3 of new contract to ensure they stay within the salary cap rules.

Have faith. We're not St Kilda. We keep the players we want.

Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:58 am

ClokingDevice wrote:
3rd degree wrote:

You are missing some classic comedy, when Thommo starts targeting Vlad or the AFL I'm in stitches.. and that horror head appearing from behind the Caro's Arrow graphic looking like the reincarnation of a very drunk Mary Hardy takes me back to the Friday nights spent under the blanket with Deadly Ernest Laughing

Yeah, I really like Thommo. Just disagree with him about Beams is all.

Trezegol 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:22 pm

Brenny wrote:
Thing is though, if Carlton offered him 900k at 5 years, as a restricted free agent, if Collingwood couldn't match it, Cloke is within his right to go.

It's like St Kilda really not wanting to talk to the Pies about Ball. Why would you want to hand Collingwood a gun player and help them win a flag? But now, they don't really get a say as a restricted/free agent.

And where would Carlton find this money from? Another brown paper bag perhaps?

Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:25 pm

Again with the premature retiring of Darren Jolly.

Jolly is contracted for next year and will be playing on regardless of what we do as a team this year.

How good was he on the weekend against the best ruck combo in the game?

Why are people in such a rush to retire him? And don't they know that if Jolly goes he leaves a serious hole in our premiership chances?

Brenny 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:41 pm

Trezegol wrote:
Brenny wrote:

And where would Carlton find this money from? Another brown paper bag perhaps?

It was in regards to somebodies comment above that said we wouldn't deal with a club who is close to a premiership. Rightly so.

Using that Carlton 900k was an example IF Carlton had 900k, if Collingwood couldn't match the 900k and Cloke wanted to go, we wouldn't get a say in it.
ClokingDevice 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:04 pm

Duff Soviet Union wrote:
A few points here:

1. I don't think Dayne Beams "owes" Collingwood anything.

You sure he doesn't owe us a few decent finals?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: