Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

AFL sux

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clemo Capricorn

clemo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 1999 7:52 am
Post subject: AFL suxReply with quote

I am a very infuriated one-eyed Magpie supporter due to the fact that the AFL do not give a hoot about grass roots supporters.
On Saturday the game was played in the "country" at Geelong, where many Collingwood supporters are unable to get to due to the long distance in travel. At least we were able to listen to the match on the radio via 3MMM. But - what about the many Pie supportes who live interstate or overseas ?
That's ok, at least you can listen to it via the Net.............Not! What the AFL had yesterday on there "AFL Live" web page was something that they call "Text commentary" which sucked badly. The quicker the AFL get their act together with the radio stations the better !
The one saving grace for interstate and overseas supporters of the pies was "Nick's Live Scoreboard" which is 10 times better than "AFL Live".

What can we do about it ?

------------------
Tony_Clemente@hotmail.com
www.netscape.net.au/~clemo
Nick 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 1999 8:19 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add to Clemo's post that the only reason the live scoreboard was able to operate at all yesterday was because Clemo was able to listen to MMM in Melbourne and provide the rest of us with a ball by ball coverage.

I am in Tasmania and had no access to any live audio or visual coverage, but the scoreboard had to go on...and it did, thanks to Clemo and later PieGirl and Muw...(can't remember the rest of the name).

Between them they enabled the scoreboard to stay in time with the game (in fact it was ahead of the Age and AFL scoreboards) and they created an atmosphere that was a lot like being at VP surrounded by Pies fans.

Thanks guys for a spectacular effort, we had people from all over the country and the world...and we all had a great time.
foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 1999 2:29 pm

yeah the scoreboard was great yesterday, heaps of fun commentating as well (i was that muw bloke). i doubt i'll be able to do it again though because i'll be at the rest of the matches this season, sorry bout that.
Pie no sauce 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 1999 7:40 am

I reckon we should all chip in and assist Mike&Nick upgrade their server for a live commentary service. What'll it take Mike? The only other option is to recruit someone to take a mobile & PC to the game and touch type throughout the proceedings. Any offers?

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 1999 10:05 am

Thanks pns, but I don't think money is the only problem. Don't forget the '3-letter-word'. Nick and I have been expecting a 'cease and desist' order to do with the live scoreboard for a while, although I'd be surprised if they are even aware of it. But, I'm sure, that if we started netcasting live commentary they soon would be.

Thanks for the support...it was another great day at the footy at home on Sunday thanks to you guys who come and make it happen.
Pie no sauce 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 1999 5:52 am

Good point re the wAFfLe merchants and wanting to promote the game. Takes us full circle back to Clemo's request on what to do.???
Send em a letter, email etc, (addresses?).
Write an article for the Hot Pies fanzine (I'll do this today)
Ask the CFC to raise it with the AFL.
Ring 3M talkback and raise it.
,,,,let me know if you follow up with any of these Clemo and I'll do the same. It's hard living in a footy vacuum.

Nick 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 1999 6:10 am

To add to Pie's list, other good publicity points are:

ABC Grandstand talkback (Saturday mornings)
A letter to Eddie (at the Footy Show)
Clemo Capricorn

clemo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 1999 3:04 pm

I'm definitely going to bring this point up at the Collingwood Social Club meeting on Monday 26th of July. (might even print out this topic and hand it to Eddie somehow !)
Will keep you guys posted on the outcome.
Keep bringing up the suggestions.
We must win this battle - the internet is very important. The AFL must get with the times and not be so ignorant.

Note: Eddie has allready brought this up with the AFL. He knows how important it is...being the multimedia megastar that he is.

------------------
Tony_Clemente@hotmail.com
www.netscape.net.au/~clemo
Pie no sauce 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 1999 5:16 am

I've sent of a note to the Hot Pies gang, about an A4 page of whinging about not having the net casts.
I agree with Clemo, attack all avenues.
Good suggestions Nick.
Maybe our old mate Hotster can help too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: