Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Promising Signs

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 1999 11:38 am
Post subject: Promising SignsReply with quote

Yeah we lost again.
Yeah we created new ways to lose.
But I reckon it was one of the more positive games we've had.

It was interstate and we are generally terrible interstate.
We were beseiged by injuries during the game to 3 of our most important players.
Each of them stood up and came back on to try and lift the side.
The younger players never dropped their heads and picked up where they left off.
And importantly the players were really visibly shitty for letting it go.
(Oh yeah and we were robbed - that was the biggest home town decision I've seen in a while!)

Lane continues to improve. More fitness under his belt and he could really develop as a goal kicking midfielder. Mahoney isn't capable at that level so we're ahead already.
Betheras - lots of guts, quick hands and kicks goals - looks like Browny
Lockyer - showed a lot of skill as designated kicker and generally finishes well.
A Rocca - is stepping up and the backline is definitely the spot -
Robran would have gone touchless if Pebbles wasn't needed in the ruck.
Burns - solid and plays best when up back.
Tarrant - strong first half - has the skill - need to determine whether he will be a marking forward or a running tall.
S Rocca - attacked it hard, has the yips but will get over it.
Godden - hard at it and links well - needs to improve disposal
Brown & Crosisca - have found niches as veterans - to squeeze another year may really help the draft crop

Shawry's coaching was terrible.
Fine to give Godden a run on McLeod but should have been moved likewise with Jarman. Mal Michael is very much out of form - as much as we all love his athleticism he is getting regular bags kicked on him and hasn't figured out how to use his athleticism to his advantage.
Not to have a backup ruckman was a joke. A Rocca was dominating and we lost a bit when he went into the ruck. With four on the bench it doesn't matter how bad our next option is after Monky does it ? Richo on the bench may have made a difference because Robran wouldn't have started to get into the game. He would have been a good option on
Stevens who did some damage.

Draft Picks
I agree with George M - big name players at or close to their peak rarely leave their clubs (I can't think of any recent examples). The only circumstances where that has occured would be Jeff White - where coming home to Vic was a huge factor. My understanding is the draft concession allows us to pick up 2 uncontracted players. As for the national draft we still only get pick no.1 so the decision may be Fraser or Pavlich - I don't think we'd get both. We must fix the ruck problem. Monky needs to stay for 1-2 more years because their currently is no next option (if you put Sav there we will not kick goals). They need to build the goal to goal line and ruck.

Weaknesses - Presta and lack of height up back which means you must keep Schauble and Richo on the list because if any of those talls are injured we're stuffed.
Goal kickers - which means you have to give goal kicking players every chance of scoring so Willo, Bucks, Lane, Betheras, Davis, Freeborn, Patterson etc must always play centre or forward - Oborne is a natural goal kicker who has to be nurtured, Jacotine has shown he knows where the goals are but needs to lift his possession rate therefore some time roving in the magoos would help
Ruck - Monky will get injured, A Rocca leaves a big hole up back therefore you need a backup ruckman, you would only put Sav there if we did get a Tredrea & Tarrant & Pavlich so you need to keep Richo - drop Smith & Manfield if they could play they would have had more games this year -theyr're not as good as Richo and pick a ruckman in the draft(Fraser) but also punt on a rookie ruckman each year
Midfield - always must have quality - guys like Olarenshaw, Patto, Licuria etc should only get the occasional run and when there is quality in the square with them - Wild should go
Backline- Burns is a natural half-back flanker - leave him there and make him captain the backline - need experience and run - A Rocca to take the next step, Michael to be relieved to play on flanks rather than key positions, Scotland will develop, Orchard is a good player (don't worry about how we got him) and gives some skillful run and tagging ability,Wasley has shown some pace but may be better on a wing,Godden is a hard nut and we don't have many so he has to stay and I like Lockyer, needs another quality tall but may have to make do with a selection of ordinary ones thus Schaubes/Presta/Richo have to stay for another year and pressure has to go onto Kinnear (who has some skill) to step up
Forwards - need goal hungry bastards and nothing else - desparately need a CHF - best bet is 2 mobile talls e.g. Tarrant and options - would keep Watto for another year but possibly move him to backline where he has played his best footy (could get away with it if Wasley, Lockyer added the pace)

Of the meat market
Woudln't touch Richo - bit soft and don't need 2 unreliable kicking forwards - won't move
Lloyd has a lot of mobility and anyone playing near Sav has to add mobility - could play CHF very well - won't move
Tredrea - haven't seen much of him but seems a lumbering type - chance to move
McKernan - immediately gives us 2 options forward and ruck - slight chance to move
Graham - a smokey but could relieve a lot of pressure up the back and more of a chance to move than the others - besides Graham to Buckley goal has a nice ring
Holland - wouldn't touch this Hawk - overrated
Goodes - like the guy and plays similar footy to Pebbles - a chance to move if he's a melb boy
I reckon if we're going to spend the priorty has to be talls.

Off
Manfield
Smith
Wild
Kirwen
Crow
Tuckey - too soft for a key forward
Walker
Adkins (?)
Venables
McDonald

Mr Judkins will be the deal breakers so their heads are on the line.
More importantly the coaching decision is vital.
Shaw, Frawley, Wheadon going is correct.
Word is Dermie is not valued as highly at the Club as the media value him so I doubt he will be the one. The replacement
- shouldn't have played this year
- must have played a lot of finals footy and probably a premiership or have coached with that level of success
the last 10 premiership coaches have all met these criteria - why chance
history ?

Go Pies

PS We read and recommend HOT PIES fanzine - you should too !

Mr_Plow 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 1999 4:00 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm positive we will get a priority pick if we win 5 games or less. But i don't know about the 2 uncontracted players.

The most recent example was Melbourne who used their priority pick to take Tarvis Johnstone and traded the number 1 pick for Jeff White.

I agree with most of your assesments of those possible recruits although Matthew Richardson is playing the best footy of his career.

Surely Damien Adkins has gotta be given another year.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 1999 8:28 am

Mick,
I agree with your principles regarding Shawy's replacement. However, I believe they must go for an experienced successful coach.

Rememeber that Shawy himself fills all the criteria you have listed. If they don't get experience they will come in for some major critisism if it doesn't work. Also with such a young squad, we need someone to nurture them.

If a Pagan, Sheedy or Malthouse is not available at the end of the year (and it looks that way at the moment)then Dermie is the man for the job. No doubt Eddie is already working on him.

What's with all this Peter Schwab talk anyway?

------------------
Damien
Fradam Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 1999 9:31 am

Mick,

Lay off Presta, he has shown a lot of improvement this year. The guy plays against guys bigger than him every week. Simon has done a fantastic job this season, he always gets his fist to the ball and you can't ask for much more than that. I saw him play a fantastic game agaisnt Freo, he impressed me a lot. He has played a few other good games this year too. Give him time, he's still young, he's not going to be a champion but he will be a good player.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: