Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Round 1

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil Appleby 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 1999 7:09 pm
Post subject: Round 1Reply with quote

Well, I know I only saw half the game, as work commitments kept me from the first half but I didn't see much to get excited about.
OK, Licuria and Orchard did enough to suggest they are worthwhile draft picks but I got the impression that it's going to be a long hard season watching from the Great Southern Stand.Sav isn't fit and Bucks and Willo were pretty ineffective in the half I saw.
Same old story; shut them down shut US down.
Anyone else heard that a huge story concerning Wayne Carey is about to break?
Was at a conference tonight(Sunday)and an ex AFL player told me that a Carey story is doing the rounds and is about to break....he wouldn't say if it was an injury type story or another sex-related one.
Guess we'll just wait and see!
By the way....he may be limited in ability and be a little over zealous, but I like Venables...he missed a Hawk by millimetres during the third quarter and then scored a few minutes later.
He has a bit of mongrel I'd say and about time too!
Umpiring? Well from what I saw from Round 1
over 3 or 4 games....the AFL should be worried....very soft frees paid in all games I saw....umpire 5 at today's game should be be sent your way Newelly and should be kept there!

Mick 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 1999 10:28 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pies showed almost a direct replay of their 1998 season. In the game for most of the day, good endeavour but in the end lacking the skills to finish off. Shawry still has a plan to not play players in their natural positions - it's confusing the players, the supporters but unfortunately not the opposition.
Some of the more senior guys (Watson, Crow, McDonald) are not only failing to step up but actually performing at a lower level than in the past.

Buckley - our best as usual but didn't hurt the opposition as much if he played on the ball instead of half-back.
Orchard - should send all our players to Sydney for a couple of years - hard at the packs (which we haven't had recently) and great hands - will be a good pickup
Burns - solid game where he should play most of his footy - half back flank
Olarenshaw - rusty game - skills were poor but will improve from the run
Williams - solid game but for a natural goal kicker he won't get too many from half back - can be caught out when his direct opponent steps up
Wild - atrocious skills - starting him in the middle as a tagger takes away a lot of drive - should be in the Ammos
Richardson - workmanlike - showed the value of sticking with a guy in a position for a full game - if he managed 7 marks and 2 goals each week we'd be happy - brought the ball to ground but no one there for it
Brown - fought hard and deserves an easy spot in the forward line - his goal kicking has not improved so would be better value at half forward or as a marking wingman (even a kickout target)
Licuria - great first half but faded - tough at the ball and would be a good player to rotate off half back since he doesn't appear to be a goal kicker
Schauble - so slow he made one of the slower forwards in the league look like Willo - may have had a dodgy ankle but he got a bath Wasley - not as convinced about this guys supposed pace - he got out run a couple of times - disposal and decision making still a problem - some time in the magoos would help
McDonald - ineffectual for such a senior player
Lane - good find - strong leading forward - natural goal kicker we've decided to actually play .... in the forward line
Crow - dirty day - needs to lift
Monkhorst - loves lifting his arms above the tackle so much I think he now waits for the tackler before disposing of the ball - just doesn't run into space like he used to 4 years ago
Freeborn - should play forward / midfield role - the guy can crumb - a waste of a recruit at half back
Crosisca - poor day but think Shawry didn't know where to put him so he benched him - try him at half back I reckon - on the other flank to Burns seems like a good ploy !
A Rocca - how this kid is supposed to learn a position I'm stuffed if I know since the coaching staff can't figure out what they want him to be - played full back (did OK), ruck (did OK) and up forward (couldn't finish) - should have been put on Holland
Davis - nice goal - showed some class from his limited time
S Rocca - looked slow - delivery to him didn't help - same category as his brother - the coaches need to figure out what they want him to do and not change their mind all the time - still vital to the side
Watson - shocker - we need much better from such a senior player
Venables - nice hip and shoulder but I thought desrved a run ealrier given Schaubles poor form

I still think we'll knock the Blues off since they have some problems in the midfield. I'd drop Wild, Wasley, McDonald for Patterson, Tape & Tarrant.

GO PIES !!!!!!

Pie no sauce 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 1999 11:09 am

Thanks for the reports,,, just thought I'd mention that even tho we're all a bit rocked and feeling dismal, remember that this time last year Melbourne were comprehensively "thumped" by the Dockers. So, I agree with our mate Bucks, think positive, go Pies, and the sauce to eventually start flowing!!!!!! [[ I'd also like to comment while I'm here on the Age site,, that I would still follow CFC even if they didn't win a game all year. Sttrruuuuutthhhh some of the supporters are fickle ]].

petro 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 1999 12:22 pm

I counldn't agree more Mick, as I was at the game and I fill the same way. But I would add Godden, which would help free up Willo and Buck's to play around the centre. My belief is to play your best players around the centre. Having these players in the centre you can rotate Buck's, Willo, Orchard and Licura around.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: