Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Best films of all time

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:58 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

watt price tully wrote:
Interesting list but no “All about Eve” and no “Les enfants du paradis” loses it for me! 7 Samurai is in my top 10 as is Rashomon.

It’s as though one needs by genre that is top 5 by genre as Singing in the rain for song and dance OK but top 20 per se?

Watching a film in the Cinema as well changes the perspective. Top films when viewed in a Cinema as opposed to a TV makes a huge difference to the experience.

Sunset Boulevard remains a wonderful film. Special mention to the Korean Parasites which doesn’t do as well on TV imo.

For me Les enfants du paradis and All About Eve are standouts. Just love them.

Interestingly, Children of Paradise made the top 100 last time (in 2012) but seems to have fallen out of favour this time around. You can add it to the list of films I really should have seen by now!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:30 am

David wrote:
Hmm. I'm going to say Singin' in the Rain, Mulholland Drive and ... The Godfather? How many did I get right? Smile

What'sinaname wrote:
Godfather
Apocalypse Now

1 each!

Apocalypse now. (Brilliant but disturbing)
Mulholland drive, x boyfriend choice, why is it on this list???
Vertigo - I prefer rear window!

Actually 4, I’ve seen the searchers too! Used to love westerns, think I’ve seen all the John Wayne ones and probably clints too!

Tried to watch the godfather, fell asleep, ditto singing in the rain! Ugh

I agree with WIAN, shit list!

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:08 am

David wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Interesting list but no “All about Eve” and no “Les enfants du paradis” loses it for me! 7 Samurai is in my top 10 as is Rashomon.

It’s as though one needs by genre that is top 5 by genre as Singing in the rain for song and dance OK but top 20 per se?

Watching a film in the Cinema as well changes the perspective. Top films when viewed in a Cinema as opposed to a TV makes a huge difference to the experience.

Sunset Boulevard remains a wonderful film. Special mention to the Korean Parasites which doesn’t do as well on TV imo.

For me Les enfants du paradis and All About Eve are standouts. Just love them.

Interestingly, Children of Paradise made the top 100 last time (in 2012) but seems to have fallen out of favour this time around. You can add it to the list of films I really should have seen by now!

It actually beggars belief that you have never seen Les Enfants du Paradis. That's a joke, surely?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:57 am

Oh, I wish I could say it's the only embarrassing omission in my film viewing. There are holes all over the place, sometimes encompassing entire directors' filmographies! And the older I get, the less time there seems to be to rectify those gaps...

(I have seen Carné's later Three Rooms in Manhattan, though, which I liked very much.)

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:00 am

Yes, time's a factor. I struggle to find the space to get through The Blues Brothers more than twice a week, these days. Still, I make the effort. I see that isn't on the list, either.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:06 am

roar wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
The only one of those I've seen is The Searchers

Really? Not even The Godfather?

Yep, just never tried to watch it

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:25 am

Honestly, I'm not sure you're missing much – it's a long time since I've seen it, but I remember feeling pretty disengaged. But then, gangster films have never really been my cup of tea (I don't go in much for Scorsese, either).
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:53 pm

i agree the only one i liked was kevin costner in The untouchables with Sean Connery. i find them cheesy and sleazy!

Mob wives was fun to watch tough!!! well til Big Ange passed away!

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:42 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Yes, time's a factor. I struggle to find the space to get through The Blues Brothers more than twice a week, these days. Still, I make the effort. I see that isn't on the list, either.

Brilliant. I'm pretty sure I could quote the whole movie verbatim. Lost count the amount of times I've watched it.

Did you ever go the screenings at the Valhalla in Northcote?
I lived around the corner on Bridge St, some great times in that suburb in the early 90's.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:24 pm

LaurieHolden wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Brilliant. I'm pretty sure I could quote the whole movie verbatim. Lost count the amount of times I've watched it.

Did you ever go the screenings at the Valhalla in Northcote?
I lived around the corner on Bridge St, some great times in that suburb in the early 90's.

Saw it one time at Valhalla in Richmond (pre Northcote with Mrs WPT and friends) and when the flamethrower scene came on everyone got their cigarette lighters out.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:21 pm

Yes, Laurie, like wpt I went (many, many times) to the Valhalla when it was in Victoria St. I don't think I've been to the Valhalla since it moved to Westgarth.

Originally, I had to catch the train to Adelaide to see this unrivalled masterpiece. It barely got any screenings in Melbourne on its first run (pre-Christmas 1980) and I missed it with work (in those days I had a full-time job and also played in bands 8 or 9 times a week, so there wasn't much room in my schedule). Anyway, the music industry used to go quiet in Melbourne for a couple of weeks in the new year, so I took a fortnight off and went interstate to see it. First screening for me was 18 January 1981 - I went to the Adelaide Oval to watch Greg Chappell bat (and Jeff Thomson bowl) in the SA v Qld game and saw The Blues Brothers in the evening, then several more times over the rest of the fortnight. It's hard to explain the impact, now, given we have the internet. Every time I wanted to learn to play a new Ray Charles number in those days, I had to copy it from a record onto a cassette that I could stop and start and rewind, over and over, until I could identify all the notes (an extraordinary ask because Ray basically played sophisticated hard bop and his chord voicings were at once spectacular and spectacularly complex) and you never really knew if you "had" it because you never saw these people play. Anyhow, after Otis Spann's untimely death ten years earlier, Ray and Aretha and John Lee were like my personal deities - but I had never seen any of them perform, even on TV (and, let's be blunt, records were always shit, so we never really heard them properly at home until CDs came along during that decade) - and seeing Dunn and Cropper, who had played on almost all of Otis Redding's great records, was jaw-dropping. It was all revelatory for me. Startlingly, it remains as fresh for me every time I watch it as it was the first time. An extraordinary piece of art.

"They broke my watch".
roar 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:44 am

Introducing our kids to The Blues Brothers was such a joy, for us and them.
Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:55 am

The Vallhalla in Richmond is a blast from a misspent early adulthood. We'd head there plenty of times on a Friday or Saturday night in '81 and '82. A few bongs beforehand and movies such as Eraserhead, Deerhunter and The Blues Brothers before it became a wankfest. Funny enough, I don't remember many of the other movies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8   

Jump to: