Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The 2012 NFL thread

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:46 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't believe the Broncos took Wolfe with pick 39, he would've still been there in the 3rd and most likely 4th round. Considering that Kendell Reyes, Joel Worthy and Devon Still were still available, plus a host of other better DT's still being available.

Also surprised with the Patriots taking Tavon Wilson with pick 48, again a player that would've been available much later in the draft. Given the shallow depth at Safety this draft I thought they would've still gone for more defensive players to go with Jones and Hightower, probably a CB would've helped as there's still some good players on the board.

Damn, the Falcons just took Konz....!@#$ ^%$& !@*& $%#^ @#$^ &^%*

OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:58 am

Broncos doing something smart, and predicted, by adding Osweiler to their QB stocks. He's a mature age prospect at 27 yrs old (I think) but has a big arm and will learn how to be a better QB from a definite future Hall of Famer in Peyton Manning. Not a bad pick up.
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:36 pm

Looks to me like my 9ers are injecting some serious speed into their offensive structures. While both these players will likely play during the upcoming season it will be limited with the view seeming to be for the future of the team.

LaMichael James does have a touch of fumbleitis but so did Gore early in his career and it would seem for the same reason as James, lack of upper body strength. Once they increase his strength his fumbling problem will likely become a non-issue as his carrying technique and ball security is good but he doesn't have the strength (as I've already mentioned) to secure the ball when hit really hard.

I still would've preferred the 9ers went after Konz Crying or Very sad Sad Crying or Very sad Sad

OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:38 pm

Colts get an absolute steal with Dwayne Allen at pick 64. This guy is an awesome catcher, though there are some doubts about his ability to block.
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:47 pm

Jaguars take a PUNTER in the fromt half of the 3rd round Shocked

They were having a blinder up to that point taking Blackmon at 5 and Andre Branch at 38, both buys able to immediately help the team.

OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:56 pm

Colts are setting up a New England type offence by drafting the best QB - Luck and the two best (by a long way) TE's - Fleener and Allen. Their having a boom draft to date.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:46 pm

Here's round 2:

1 St. Louis Brian Quick (WR) App St
2 Indianapolis Coby Fleener (TE) Stanford
3 Baltimore Courtney Upshaw (DE) Alabama
4 Denver Derek Wolfe (DT) Cincy
5 Cleveland Mitchell Schwartz (OT) California
6 Jacksonville Andre Branch (DE) Clemson
7 St. Louis Janoris Jenkins (CB) N Alabama
8 Carolina Amini Silatolu (OG) Midwest St
9 Buffalo Cordy Glenn (OT) Georgia
10 Miami Jonathan Martin (OT) Stanford
11 NY Jets Stephen Hill (WR) Ga Tech
12 Kansas City Jeff Allen (OG) Illinois
13 Chicago Alshon Jeffery (WR) S Carolina
14 Philadelphia Mychal Kendricks (ILB) California
15 Seattle Bobby Wagner (ILB) Utah St
16 New England Tavon Wilson (S) Illinois
17 San Diego Kendall Reyes (DT) UConn
18 St. Louis Isaiah Pead (RB) Cincy
19 Green Bay Jerel Worthy (DT) Mich St
20 Tennessee Zach Brown (OLB) UNC
21 Cincinnati Devon Still (DT) Penn State
22 Detroit Ryan Broyles (WR) Oklahoma
23 Atlanta Peter Konz (C) Wisconsin
24 Pittsburgh Mike Adams (OT) Ohio St
25 Denver Brock Osweiler (QB) Arizona St
26 Tampa Bay Lavonte David (OLB) Nebraska
27 Philadelphia Vinny Curry (DE) Marshall
28 Baltimore Kelechi Osemele (OG) Iowa St
29 San Francisco LaMichael James (RB) Oregon
30 Green Bay Casey Hayward (CB) Vanderbilt
31 NY Giants Rueben Randle (WR) LSU

AND round 3:

1 Indianapolis Dwayne Allen (TE) Clemson
2 St. Louis Trumaine Johnson (CB) Montana
3 Minnesota Josh Robinson (CB) C Florida
4 Denver Ronnie Hillman (RB) SDSU
5 Houston DeVier Posey (WR) Ohio St
6 Buffalo T.J. Graham (WR) NC State
7 Jacksonville Bryan Anger (P) California
8 Washington Josh LeRibeus (OG) SMU
9 Miami Olivier Vernon (DE) Miami
10 San Diego Brandon Taylor (S) LSU
11 Kansas City Donald Stephenson (OT) Oklahoma
12 Seattle Russell Wilson (QB) Wisconsin
13 Houston Brandon Brooks (OG) Miami (OH)
14 NY Jets Demario Davis (OLB) Arkansas St
15 Miami Michael Egnew (TE) Missouri
16 Chicago Brandon Hardin (S) Oregon St
17 Arizona Jamell Fleming (CB) Oklahoma
18 Dallas Tyrone Crawford (DE) Boise St
19 Tennessee Mike Martin (DT) Michigan
20 Cincinnati Mohamed Sanu (WR) Rutgers
21 Baltimore Bernard Pierce (RB) Temple
22 Detroit Dwight Bentley (CB) La Lafayette
23 Pittsburgh Sean Spence (OLB) Miami
24 Cleveland John Hughes (DT) Cincy
25 Philadelphia Nick Foles (QB) Arizona
26 New Orleans Akiem Hicks (DT) Rams
27 New England Jake Bequette (DE) Arkansas
28 Atlanta Lamar Holmes (OT) So Miss
29 Indianapolis T.Y. Hilton (WR) Fla Int'l
30 Cincinnati Brandon Thompson (DT) Clemson
31 NY Giants Jayron Hosley (CB) Va Tech
32 Oakland Tony Bergstrom (OG) Utah
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:25 am

Wow I can't believe Dennard Alfonzo didn't come of the board until the 7th round (pick 224 - Patriots). He was rated a one of the top 5 CB's available (in what was a very deep CB position) at the start of the draft and most experts were suggesting he would be a late first round or early second round pick.

When I saw he was still available after the end of the 3rd round I was praying the 9ers would grab him with one of their late picks, but alas no.

I wonder what was making all the teams shy away from him, there's nothing listed on his profile to suggest any major flaw in his technique or his abilitly to cover in either man-to-man or zone situations, plus he's a willing tackler.

OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:14 pm

Here's how I saw the draft.

Best teams in no particular order -

1. Arizona Cardinals:
Michael Floyd (WR) which is an awesome pick giving some instant help to Larry Fitzgerald (the leagues best WR), making Fitzgerald more dangerous and giving Kolb two BIG targets to aim at.
Tackles Bobby Massie and Senio Kelemete both players that can start and help keep their QB vertical long enough to through the ball, and finally CB Jamell Fleming who is a very solid player.

2. Cincinnati Bengals:
Started with the CB Dre Kirkpatric an outstanding talent then Guard Kevin Zeitler who will start. After that DT's Devon Still and (later) Brandon Thompson, ones a run stopper the other's a pass rusher, both will help though Still has question marks over his on-field attitude. Took WR's Sanu Mohamed and Marvin Jones, both are excellent picks with Jones being a possible steal for the 5th round (he could start). TE Orson Charles and FS George Lloka are both solid picks.

3. Indy Colts:
Took the best QB in the draft (in my opinion) in Andrew Luck and have set themselves up with the next Peyton Manning, then added Luck's favorite target in TE Coby Fleener and then another outstanding TE Dwayne Allen (the top 2 rated TE's in this draft by a long way). This gives then an offensive line-up similar to the Patriots. They also picked up WR T.Y.Hilton to go with Avery and Wayne who will help stretch the field and upgrade their return game. Finally with DT Josh Chapman they get a solid NT who will help anchor their defensive line (apparently their changing to a 3-4 defensive scheme so it's imperative they have a good NT).

4. Miami Dolphins:
Took QB Ryan Tannehill as they franchise QB which I don't believe he is unless he can improve his ability to look off his desired WR and stop patting the ball before he throws is. It cause a lot of interception at College level and at NFL level he'll get slaughtered. It may not seem like much but sometimes players can't get rid of these subconscious habits an it ends their careers. Next was OT Jonathon Martin who could start at either right Tackle or left Tackle which is a massive asset. Then was DE Olivier Vernon, a solid pick, and TE Michael Egnew who is good but not 3rd round worthy but being as the TE choices were thin that likely forced their hand. On Egnew he's and outstanding catching TE but all but bloody useless on blocking schemes. Also got Lamar Miller in the 4th round which is a massive drop for a RB rated the fourth best available, but his downfall seems to be the lack of available College game tape and his light frame and lack power. Though even with that he's still a steal in the 4th round. Also grabbed WR's B.J.Cunningham and Rishard Matthews both are very good route runners and catchers who could help the passing game early, though likely as the 3rd or 4th WR. One to watch may be DT Kheeston Randall who may very well have gone much higher if not for a poor final year at College level which cause his stock to freefall, but for 7th round pick if he turns out to be bust nothing is lost and on the flip side if he regains his form he could be a real steal (not Pro Bowl but a very solid player).

5. St Louis Rams:
Jumped at DT Michael Brockers and for good reason, he's already an elite talent and still has MASSIVE improvement. This guy will most likely become a regular Pro Bowl player, maybe even first team Pro Bowl. Next they took WR's Brian Quick and (later) Chris Givens both talented, but still raw, players who will make Bradford's life that much easier. Picked CB's Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson both are elite talents, especially Jenkins who could become a true shut down CB who QB's avoid throwing near. Lastly they added RB Isaiah Pead who gives them depth behind the aging (and beat up) Steven Jackson. This will not only help prolong Jackson's career but also give the Rams a change-of-pace RB behind the smash mouth style of Jackson.

Teams that had brain farts -

1. Denver Broncos: took DT Derek Wolfe with their 2nd round pick (39th overall) and while he's a solid DT he would've been available to them much later in the draft given the talent available at DT in this draft. Could've taken a WR like Rueben Randle, Stephen Hill or any number of other WR's which they need.

2. New England Patriots: took FS Tavon Wilson with their 2nd round pick (48th overall). This is a player that I don't think was anyones radar so they could've got him in the 6th or 7th round and instead gone after a talented WR (see Denver) or any number of quality CB's still available of which they need both. If they were desperate for a FS they should've taken George Lloka the highest rated FS instead of Wilson the lowest rated FS in a very thin Safety group.

New England may have evened that brain fart out with the biggest steal of the draft by getting Alfonzo Dennard (CB) in the 7th round. I really can't understand how he dropped so far, his skills group is elite as is his on-field attitude and there's been nothing listed regarding any off-field issues.

3. Jacksonville Jaguars: took a Punter with their 3rd round pick (70th overall) which would've cleared the entire building because of the stink associated with that brain fart. Could've taken Bobbie Massie and helped their O Line keep their QB upright.

4. New Orleans Saints (or is it sinners Twisted Evil): took DE Akiem Hicks with their 3rd round pick (89th overall) when he would've been available in much later rounds, and instead could've taken any number of available CB's which they desperately need.

OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:37 pm

How I rated my 49er's draft:

I thought overall the draft was solid though it could've been so much better.

My thinking would be draft A.J.Jenkins in the first round as was done, then trade up to the Broncos 2nd round pick and take Janoris Jenkins (CB) ahead of the Rams. Broncos would likely have accepted the 9ers lower 2nd round pick coupled with a 2013 4th round pick and still would've got their man in Derek Wolfe, and the 9ers could've got an elite CB.

I believe LaMichael James would've still been available when the 9ers 3rd round pick came around, but if gone then Lamar Miller definitely would've been available and they'd still get their home run threat from the backfield.

The rest of the draft as it occurred, except for drafting CB Alfonzo Dennard when he was still available in the 6th round. That would've given them an unbelievable CB corps and made a defense, that teams already struggle to score against on the ground, that much harder to score against in the air.

Currently I rank the 49ers draft a C+, but it could've been an A if they'd been more aggressive.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:54 pm

I thought the 49ers focussed on what they need to do to help Smith with some down-field targets - I don't profess to know enough about the players they selected to know whether they could have done better. In any event, they certainly had a strategy and stuck to it. As did my Packers - everyone they drafted was a defender. No surprises there, either.

I guess we'll know in 2 or 3 years from now how our teams actually did in the draft.
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:19 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
I thought the 49ers focussed on what they need to do to help Smith with some down-field targets - I don't profess to know enough about the players they selected to know whether they could have done better. In any event, they certainly had a strategy and stuck to it. As did my Packers - everyone they drafted was a defender. No surprises there, either.

I guess we'll know in 2 or 3 years from now how our teams actually did in the draft.

I agree with you regarding the offensive upgrading for Smith but I just believed if they'd been more aggressive they could've still got those offensive players plus two extremely talented CB's to top off what is an already awesome defensive unit.

I agree with you on Green Bay. They had some big holes on the defensive side and drafted really well to fill those needs. DE Nick Perry is inconsistent but is very talented and still has a lot of upside, while DT is in the same boat. Drafting DB Casey Hayward was smart because it fills multiple positions of need and he's a bloody good CB. Most of the other picks were depth players.

There's still some decent rookie free agents and personally I hope my 9ers go after CB Chase Minnifield who has some technique issues but is very solid both on pass and run coverage and would add excellent depth to the roster. Failing that CB Leonard Johnson who, again, is solid both on pass and run plays but lacks speed but again would provide excellent depth at the position. Oh yeah both players are great tacklers which goes with the 49er defensive unit mantra.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:10 pm

Some sad news today.

Former San Diego linebacker, Junior Seau, dies at 43.

Quote:
OCEANSIDE, Calif. -- Junior Seau, a homegrown superstar who was the fist-pumping, emotional leader of the San Diego Chargers for 13 years, was found shot to death at his home Wednesday morning. He was 43.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7882750/junior-seau-former-san-diego-charger-found-dead-cops-probe-suicide

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:55 pm

Cowboys did a Good Trade to get the Best CB which is a Massive Need for them
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:01 pm

Presti#1Fan wrote:
Some sad news today.

Former San Diego linebacker, Junior Seau, dies at 43.

Quote:
OCEANSIDE, Calif. -- Junior Seau, a homegrown superstar who was the fist-pumping, emotional leader of the San Diego Chargers for 13 years, was found shot to death at his home Wednesday morning. He was 43.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7882750/junior-seau-former-san-diego-charger-found-dead-cops-probe-suicide

Why do they think he shot himself?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13   

Jump to: