Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The 2012 NFL thread

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:06 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a reasonably telling statistic:

"The Titans defense caught twice as many passes (4) as the Jets receivers (2) on Mark Sanchez throws that traveled 15 or more yards downfield."

See: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=321217010

Apparently, Sanchez will not start next game. It appears that Tebow will be overlooked, as well, and that Greg McElroy will start at QB for the Jets: http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8759414/mark-sanchez-new-york-jets-benched-greg-mcelroy-start

This looks quite a lot like a turning-point (or end) for Sanchez, Tebow and Rex Ryan.
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:16 pm

Wouldn't be surprised if the Jets traded for Alex Smith during the off-season.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:21 pm

Another record has fallen today. With one more game still to come, Calvin Johnson of Detroit just passed Jerry Rice's record for the most receiving yards in a season. Johnson is a fine receiver but he's been helped to the record by the absence of any viable alternative target for Stafford to throw to this year. Still, a tremendous achievement which should be applauded.

The outcome of the game? Well, Detroit lost (again) and Atlanta tied up top seed in the NFC for the playoffs. All we need now is for the Pack to work out how to finish 6th, instead of 3rd, so they can take the Falcons out in the second week (again).
Yarra Falls End 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:53 pm

Things appear to be falling into place, even a " second" week match up with Atlanta or

the Vikings 2 weeks in a row.
blackmissionary Cancer

Lurker King

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:34 am

AFC playoff teams settled except for the order. NFC all to play for. OneHDs games are Bears at Lions, Cardinals at 49ers (would have preferred Packers at Vikings), and Cowboys at Redskins.
blackmissionary Cancer

Lurker King

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:34 am

AFC playoff teams settled except for the order. NFC all to play for. OneHDs games are Bears at Lions, Cardinals at 49ers (would have preferred Packers at Vikings), and Cowboys at Redskins.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:21 pm

blackmissionary wrote:
I'm sure I speak for all Packers fans when I say: Crying or Very sad

And for lovers of the game, it really would have been great to see AP chasing down the rushing record, even against the Pack (don't worry, Adrian: my open offer to sign on at Titletown still stands).

I will now be placed in the difficult position of barracking for OEP's boys against the Cards when it would really be much better for the Pack if the Cards got home. Confused
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:17 pm

So, the NFC is finally getting sorted. Congratulations to the 49ers who took second seed by a whisker as the Pack went down to the Vikes in the dying seconds.

Atlanta and the 49ers have the week off. Next week, the Pack play the Vikes again (this time at Lambeau). Just waiting on the Cowboys and Redskins game to see the final standings for 5th versus 4th next week.

AP fell 8 yards short of the all-time rushing record after the match against Green Bay this morning.
blackmissionary Cancer

Lurker King

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:59 pm

Redskins win the NFC East. Really interesting game - no penalties until midway through the 4th quarter, though there should have been on the Cowboys for delay of game on their first touchdown play. Romo threw three interceptions, and the Cowboys had no answer for the Redskins' running game. If they didn't have Witten, Cowboys wouldn't have got even this close to making the playoffs.

Sav punted OK, but had a 40 yard effort returned for 40 yards, and another 15 added to that when he grabbed the face mask making a last ditch tackle.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:01 pm

The live to air (free to air on OneHD and also on Foxtel) schedule for this first weekend of the play-offs is (Australian Eastern Daylight-saving Times):

8.30am Sunday - Bengals (Andy Dalton) at Houston (Andy Schaub). I am going for the Bengals, who are coming good at the right time, over the Texans, who are falling off the pace at the wrong time (they really should have clinched home-field advantage for the playoffs but they slipped behind Peyton's Broncos and Brady's Patriots in the last regular-season round).

12.00pm Sunday - Vikings (Christian Ponder, who will throw the ball if the great Adrian Peterson needs a rest from rushing for another 200 yards) at Lambeau (A-Rod, who will generally throw the ball until both his arms are broken). AP is great but I doubt that the Vikes can hold out the Pack two weeks in a row, especially if Cobb is back for Green Bay. The Pack should win this reasonably comfortably at home.

5.00am Monday - Colts (Andrew Luck) at Ravens (Joe Flacco). I think the Ravens will take this out but it will be interesting to see whether Luck can step up for the Playoffs in his first year against a very seasoned defence.

8.30am Monday - Seahawks (Russell Wilson) at Redskins (RG111) (will Sav punt Washington to another victory?). I think this might just be the game of the round. 2 great young QBs slugging it out in front of in-form teams - and each of them with a great rushing back to help out (Alfred Morris for the 'Skins and Marshawn Lynch for the Seahawks). This one could go either way. I'm going for the Seahawks, if only because Wilson was good enough to throw for 4 TDs against the 49ers two games back.

After this weekend, I will be missing for my annual break, returning after the two championship games. Perhaps someone might post the free-to-air schedule for those weeks, in case anyone else cares (all the play-off games will, as I understand it, be shown live on One, as well as Foxtel)?
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:13 pm

Hi P4S, great summary of the games. This should be one of the best finals series the NFL has ever had. Any of the teams currently playing could win it, though some would need more to go their way than others. Looking through all the teams left you couldn't say any are just position fillers waiting to get smashed by a clearly superior team.

Anyway here's my take on the upcoming games:

Bengals vs Texans - Bengals to win based on the fact the Texans seem to be on the slide and can't stop it and the Bengals have a very balanced teams with the only real weakness being at RB, but they cover that well.

Colts vs Ravens - Tale of two teams here. The Colts were believed to be in a rebuilding phase that most likely would take at least 2 years while the Ravens were seen as elite almost across the board. Now the Ravens have been downgraded to talented but troubled and the Colts as being underrated, which means this has all the hallmarks of being one bloody good game to watch. Two teams with a lot to prove. Personally I believe the Colts run is going to come to an end this weekend but not without one hell of a fight. Really looking forward to this one (plus seeing Ray Lewis back on the field and with nothing to lose which is going to be real scary for the first person he hits Shocked )

Vikings vs Packers - Unless Rodgers has a day out I can't see them getting over the Vikings. The Packer D just doesn't seem capable of stopping AP (if anyone doubted this guy would still be a beast after his reco they sure don't now, unbelievable player) who is having one of the greatest seasons by a RB ever, and that's saying something. It's really about two phenomenal players carrying their respective teams on their backs and which of the opposing teams has the personal on the defensive side to restrict them (notice I didn't say stop them because I don't believe any team is capable of completely shutting down either AP or Rodgers for an entire game). Given the fact the Viking have a far better D than the Packers D and their secondary is good enough to keep the Rodgers led Packer offence to a low enough score that can be bettered by the Viking offence I foresee a Vikings win.

Seahawks vs Redskins - Redskins, like the Colts, were seen as being in a rebuilding phase but have given the two fingered salute to the league and stormed into the finals and will be riding a wave of belief when they take on the Seahawks. BUT this Seahawks team has no real weaknesses and when they put it all together are nigh on unbeatable as my 49ers found out Crying or Very sad . Both teams have a lot of talent at their disposal in all areas (defence, offence and special teams) but the Seahawks have more. I think this may be the only blowout game in the entire finals series, and that's not saying the Redskins don't belong it's just that the Seahawks are that good (even without any substance assistance Twisted Evil)

Should be a brutal and very enjoyable weekend of NFL football.

blackmissionary Cancer

Lurker King

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:16 pm

Not a good start with your tips OEP! Bengals offence didn't even turn up, they were only in the game due to the Texans being forced to resort to field goals. Ponder out for Vikings probably didn't help them, but they looked OK in their first drive... and that was about it.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:23 pm

blackmissionary wrote:
Not a good start with your tips OEP! Bengals offence didn't even turn up, they were only in the game due to the Texans being forced to resort to field goals. Ponder out for Vikings probably didn't help them, but they looked OK in their first drive... and that was about it.
Nor for my tips, either, for that matter (on what I saw today, the Vikes might have got up if they had a QB who could complete a pass before the game was over). It just shows how little relevance form leading into the playoffs has.

Go Pack. Very big match next Sunday, our time, in San Francisco. May the better team ... put up an excellent showing and then lose to the A-Rod. Laughing
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:25 pm

Wow.

Two games that never lived up to what they should have been.

The Bengal offence was ordinary at best and their defence wasn't that much better than them. Given that the win by the Texans wasn't overly impressive and if they want to progress past the Patriots they better improve and dramatically or a blow out is on the cards.

As for the Vikings, well the loss of Ponder was a massive blow for them because even though he doesn't light up a defence with his passing he keeps them honest. Without him under centre the Packers stacked their front line and blitzed every chance they could to reduce AP's influence and basically that won them the game.

Again like Houston the Packers will need to improve again if they want to roll the 49ers because this week was a gift from the football gods but next week the 9ers will have Davis back at full health and most importantly of all J.Smith will be back on the D-Line and his loss to the 9er defence can't be overstated.

All-in-all two very disappointing games to start the playoffs, unless of course your a Packers and Texans fan Wink

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:23 am

Ravens 24:9 over the Colts. Boldin brilliant in the second half on the deep throws from Flacco.

And on the last play of the game, with the ball in the Ravens' hands, Ray Lewis lined up at running back - Flacco took the knee and time ran out as Ray did one last dance for the fans on his home-field. Brought a tear to my eye.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13   

Jump to: