Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Academy Awards

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Now now, how many movies have inspired a whole restaurant chain?

https://www.bubbagump.com/locations.asp

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:47 pm

David wrote:
Cool or not, I sure do hate Forrest Gump! Managed to avoid it until the age of 20 when a work colleague convinced me that I needed to see it. That's a lesson to me for trying to be open-minded. Laughing

Never seen The Shawshank Redemption, but have a feeling it might not be my thing. I'm not much of a Tarantino fan, but Pulp Fiction has its merits and probably would have been a worthy winner that year.

The only good bits of Forrest Gump for me was seeing places I’ve been! As for Jenny, I remember her from a soap opera! I think it was another world! Ans
D she married Madonnas ex!

Not keen on pulp fiction, but Shawshank redemption deserves to be right up there as an all time great, it’s brilliant, Tim Robbins is exceptional in it. And so is Morgan freeman. The warden is pure evil!

ronrat 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:16 pm

Oscars and Emmys etc are nothing more than circle jerking. Not to be confused with film festivals. I stopped watching these self glorification wankfests when Sally Fields had her "you like me" cringeworthy speech.

We were scheduled to see the Godfather for our Drama studies class the day after the Oscars and the cinema, the Forum I think, was full of outraged elder ladies about the use of the F word and we never got to fully appreciate it. They all stayed the entire film and then went to the box office and terrorised the staff demanding a refund. Our teacher had got permission for us 16 year olds to go because it was rated R.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:07 am

Glad Brad Pitt won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor. He was simply brilliant in Tarantino’s wonderful film “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood”

I haven’t seen Joker and frankly I’m not particularly interested but from all accounts Joachim Phoenix’s performance must have been a ripper. Mind you the role / part would allow for that too. Having said that Antonio Banderas’s performance In Almodovar’s magnificent “Pain and Glory” was searingly stunning.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:13 am

ronrat wrote:
We were scheduled to see the Godfather for our Drama studies class the day after the Oscars and the cinema, the Forum I think, was full of outraged elder ladies about the use of the F word and we never got to fully appreciate it. ...

I don't recall the F word in that film. Is it really in there? Were the little old ladies not outraged by the horse's head?
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:38 am

https://www.dailywire.com/news/oscar-ratings-worst-of-all-time-after-award-show-promoted-far-left-politics?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=mattwalsh
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:25 pm

Makes me happy that the ratings plummeted.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:34 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Glad Brad Pitt won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor. He was simply brilliant in Tarantino’s wonderful film “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood”

I haven’t seen Joker and frankly I’m not particularly interested but from all accounts Joachim Phoenix’s performance must have been a ripper. Mind you the role / part would allow for that too. Having said that Antonio Banderas’s performance In Almodovar’s magnificent “Pain and Glory” was searingly stunning.

I haven't watched "once upon a time in Hollywood" yet, a tad put off by the running time although I've had the market version DVD for weeks.

Joker you need to watch. Set in the 80's, if you didn't know anything about Batman you'd miss a few references which have zero impact on the plot. It's not a Batman movie, the future Batman is a child in the movie and only has a minimal part.

Given your work with mental health and strong sense of social justice, I think you'll find it a good watch.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:15 pm

K wrote:
ronrat wrote:
We were scheduled to see the Godfather for our Drama studies class the day after the Oscars and the cinema, the Forum I think, was full of outraged elder ladies about the use of the F word and we never got to fully appreciate it. ...

I don't recall the F word in that film. Is it really in there? Were the little old ladies not outraged by the horse's head?

it was used. It was our second last publiv outing as on our next trip we went to see a live play in Spring street. And we hung out the window of the bus yelling abuse at the women wearing fur calling them baby seal clubbers and murderers. Morrigu would have approved. Australia had just got out of Vietnam and so 16 year olds had to find something to get angry about . We had to wait until November until Gough was given the arse before something sunstantial came along.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:04 pm

I liked Caesar Romero as the Joker, too.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:20 pm

I was going to watch the Joker but far less likely to after his acceptance speech at the Oscars.

But I've clearly got a bad taste in movies, think I've only ever seen 3 of the 30 movies that have won best picture in my lifetime and Forrest Gump was the best of them!!!
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:38 am

Rocky > Forrest Gump
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:21 am

eddiesmith wrote:
I was going to watch the Joker but far less likely to after his acceptance speech at the Oscars.

But I've clearly got a bad taste in movies, think I've only ever seen 3 of the 30 movies that have won best picture in my lifetime and Forrest Gump was the best of them!!!

That'll show art who's boss.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:20 am

Modern South Korean films ranked in a Guardian article:
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/feb/13/classics-of-modern-south-korean-cinema-ranked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: