Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Sharenting thread

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:55 pm
Post subject: Sharenting threadReply with quote

Inspired by John Wren's post in the 'What Pisses You Off" thread. (I understand that Tannin and Morrigu's eyes may also be glazing over by now. Razz)

Anyway, this is a thread to talk about bizarre things that you do as a parent, or annoying things that your children do, or good experiences you've had being a mother or father.

I'll kick things off.

Ingmar's recently started eating solid food, and has just gotten his first two teeth, so I try to share my food with him whenever possible at home or at cafes. Unfortunately, he can't handle big chunks of food, so something I've started doing is putting a chunk of food (mushrooms, spinach, apples, fish... pretty much anything) in my mouth, chewing it up, taking it out again with my fingers and feeding it to him.

Is that very weird and gross, or just one of those normal disgusting things that parents do?

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:00 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be normal in the PNG wilds but not sure how it'd go down in a Southbank cafe or the like. Laughing
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:03 pm

dilligaf thread but could well live in the wpyo thread. i see it on facebook all the time. pics, videos and stories about friend's kids. i know i am not the target audience but i particulary don't give a f-u-c-k about a kid's bowel movements amongst other things.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:06 pm

I barely post anything about my kid, the last thing she needs is a permanent online record by the age of 8. Facebook parenting doesn't bother me, to each their own, but I just gloss over their BS.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:10 pm

Yeah, that's weird and gross.

Just cut the food up small enough that the kid can't choke on it and give him a chance to chew/gum it himself.

Considering my youngest is 23, I'm just a tad past the baby stage and have no recent bowel movement stories to share. Wink

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:23 pm
Post subject: Re: Sharenting threadReply with quote

David wrote:
Inspired by John Wren's post in the 'What Pisses You Off" thread. (I understand that Tannin and Morrigu's eyes may also be glazing over by now. Razz)

Anyway, this is a thread to talk about bizarre things that you do as a parent, or annoying things that your children do, or good experiences you've had being a mother or father.

I'll kick things off.

Ingmar's recently started eating solid food, and has just gotten his first two teeth, so I try to share my food with him whenever possible at home or at cafes. Unfortunately, he can't handle big chunks of food, so something I've started doing is putting a chunk of food (mushrooms, spinach, apples, fish... pretty much anything) in my mouth, chewing it up, taking it out again with my fingers and feeding it to him.

Is that very weird and gross, or just one of those normal disgusting things that parents do?

Gross, and spreading germs, just mash it with a fork!

Good experiences: junior still goes to the footy with me every week, and I cherish every moment. She's 19, mostly now she goes to the flicks with her friends instead of me, but I'm hoping we will see the last hunger games together, we have seen them all gold class so far.

I'm also hanging out for at least one more big holiday with her, and also a volunteering stint together. Just eight short months ago, we were best friends, but now she has friends her age. And it's by far the most painful ending I've ever endured.

It's been a long road with the eldest, but the last year or so, she has come back to me. The rolling eyes are gone, the impatient tone of voice, also gone.

My kids have been 99 percent of me for a long time, it's lonely now they don't need me much, but I have no regrets. I can't imagine a time when they are not the loves of my life. Finding me again though, is a challenge. Just who the hell am I! I have no idea!

One thing I do know, the JetSki stays! Taking offf on it for an hour at a time on my own was awesome, just like when was a kid on my trail bikes, or my horses. Maybe that's it, it's time to be a kid again!

Enjoy every second David, because it goes just way too fast.

Cheers

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:35 pm

I reckon it's just a stage—she'll come back to wanting to go to the cinema with you.

I'm only a few years older, but I'd love to see a film with my Mum; it's just impossible with the geographical difference and our respective time commitments when we are in the same state. Just one of those things you miss when you can't do it.

re: Facebook, I do post the occasional photo of Ingmar, but try to keep that stuff to a minimum. The last thing I'd want is for my friends to get sick of him! Razz

As for my food passing habits, your concerns are all noted. But I don't think I'll stop doing it any time soon. Mr. Green

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:16 pm

David wrote:
I reckon it's just a stage—she'll come back to wanting to go to the cinema with you.

I'm only a few years older, but I'd love to see a film with my Mum; it's just impossible with the geographical difference and our respective time commitments when we are in the same state. Just one of those things you miss when you can't do it.

re: Facebook, I do post the occasional photo of Ingmar, but try to keep that stuff to a minimum. The last thing I'd want is for my friends to get sick of him! Razz

As for my food passing habits, your concerns are all noted. But I don't think I'll stop doing it any time soon. Mr. Green

I hope your right about the stage!

(Then pm me photos, cos I keep looking for them!)

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:49 pm

David wrote:

Parents have been doing this as routine for thousands, possibly millions of years. Among other things, it is good for the child as it ensures a good, diverse population of gut flora which is essential for proper digestion and health, and also good for the immune system.

(This certainly applies in natural and normal living conditions, but most humans these days live in ultra-crowded and (biologically speaking) highly abnormal conditions where very nasty infectious diseases flourish - horrors like typhoid and smallpox and the black death did not develop and become major problems until after we humans developed agriculture and started living in cities.

Under normal conditions, deadly diseases cannot survive as they need a large critical mass of potential victims living in close proximity. In small rural or hunter-gatherer populations, any disease which mutates to become deadly enough to kill people quickly wipes out its small host population, and then dies itself because it can't survive without hosts and there are none left nearby. So, on the whole, deadly killer plagues don't get started and are self-limiting. In crowded city conditions, there are always enough new, uninfected hosts, so deadly mutations are not selected against and can thrive.

Domesticated animals are a big factor here too: most deadly infectious diseases ultimately have animal origins - they have migrated into humans from pigs or chickens or rats or cows. Usually this requires a successful mutation, and this is most likely when you have large numbers of people living crowded in close proximity to animals, i.e., exactly what city life was up until, say, 200 years ago.

Shall I go on? Have I derailed your thread enough yet?

One on-topic remark to close with though: now that I'm <snip!> years old and down to my last two teeth, will you chew my steak for me please David?

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:54 pm

Tannin wrote:
David wrote:

Parents have been doing this as routine for thousands, possibly millions of years. Among other things, it is good for the child as it ensures a good, diverse population of gut flora which is essential for proper digestion and health, and also good for the immune system.

(This certainly applies in natural and normal living conditions, but most humans these days live in ultra-crowded and (biologically speaking) highly abnormal conditions where very nasty infectious diseases flourish - horrors like typhoid and smallpox and the black death did not develop and become major problems until after we humans developed agriculture and started living in cities.

Under normal conditions, deadly diseases cannot survive as they need a large critical mass of potential victims living in close proximity. In small rural or hunter-gatherer populations, any disease which mutates to become deadly enough to kill people quickly wipes out its small host population, and then dies itself because it can't survive without hosts and there are none left nearby. So, on the whole, deadly killer plagues don't get started and are self-limiting. In crowded city conditions, there are always enough new, uninfected hosts, so deadly mutations are not selected against and can thrive.

Domesticated animals are a big factor here too: most deadly infectious diseases ultimately have animal origins - they have migrated into humans from pigs or chickens or rats or cows. Usually this requires a successful mutation, and this is most likely when you have large numbers of people living crowded in close proximity to animals, i.e., exactly what city life was up until, say, 200 years ago.

Shall I go on? Have I derailed your thread enough yet?

One on-topic remark to close with though: now that I'm <snip!> years old and down to my last two teeth, will you chew my steak for me please David?

You're identifying with birds too much Wink

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:02 pm

Laughing

So are you saying I should or shouldn't be doing this, Tannin? I got confused. Razz

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:04 pm

Nahh, birds all suckle their youngsters on mother's milk. Any fule kno that. Except for Emus, of course. Emus suckle with father's milk.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:09 pm

David wrote:
Laughing

So are you saying I should or shouldn't be doing this, Tannin? I got confused. Razz

In a normal society (biologically normal, I mean, i.e., not modern city life), yes, of course.

In a city anywhere between the dawn of civilisation and maybe 50 or 100 years ago - hell no!

Now? Dunno. Yes, you live in a city and are exposed to far too many people's infections every day. On the other hand, most of the real nasties are well controlled via vaccination (big factor) and public sanitation (huge factor). Also, many modern babies and children are suffering health-wise generally because of immune system problems caused by too much obsessive hygiene and thus lack of development of the robust defence mechanisims the body usually relies on. This has been proposed as a causal factor in the massive and otherwise unexplained increases in a variety of modern ailments such as asthma, allergies, ADHD, and listening to hip-hop. On balance, hard to say. Failing good evidence one way or another, just do what you feel comfortable with.

If in doubt, perhaps you'd better make sure he doesn't get any of that unhygenic breast milk either. How do you know where it's been?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:24 pm

Tannin wrote:
If in doubt, perhaps you'd better make sure he doesn't get any of that unhygenic breast milk either. How do you know where it's been?

My thoughts exactly. Laughing

King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:49 pm

Mashing for me, I'd just end up swallowing it myself if it was a nice feed, bubs'd end up going hungry. Laughing

What's with you facebook nazis??!!!!!??
Isn't it there for 3 functions?:
1) staying in some sort of touch with people you wouldn't normally run in to,
2) engaging in the odd bit of humorous banter,
3) and to boast!! Very Happy

I'm not an everyday facebooker, I'm a couple of times a week type of guy, but I do put up photos from time to time of the oldest getting BoG, or the youngest being rapt to get a new Spiderman onesie to sleep in.
I'm more inclined to scroll straight passed serious stuff on there myself, it's not what I'm on facebook for personally.

Oh, and, "sharenting"?? Really?? Confused Laughing

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: