Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

So. What's for Dinner?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:38 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

swoop42 wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Sounds yum, but you've spent that much time in the bush and you can't shoot? Confused

He can shoot and rarely misses.

How many kids you got again Skids?

You're talking point blank range there, no aiming required. Wink

ronrat 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:03 am

Skids wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^

Can't you go bush and shoot your own?

I can't shoot Shocked

Reminds me of when the old boy showed me how to cook it up.

Was working on a gas compressor station out in the East Pilbara and staying at a nearby cattle station (Lyndon Station), living in the old shearers quarters. Must of been the mid 90's I think.

Dotty cooked it up for us one night and it was superb, was the texture of a lamb shank and delicious. I said how good it was and asked him if he could cook up some more before we left.
Next day, sitting out the front of my room having a beer and old Dotty comes walking past, a rifle over one shoulder and three fresh roo tails.

We went into the kitchen and he showed me how to skin ém and which parts of the tail were best for the oven. added some oild, some bush spices and put them in, would you believe, an oven bag Shocked

What woud you need shearers quarters for on a cattle station

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:09 am

I think a lot of people are reminded of it. Was the trip worth it?
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:10 am

stui magpie wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Sounds yum, but you've spent that much time in the bush and you can't shoot? Confused

You're talking point blank range there, no aiming required. Wink

You never know.

To spice things up a funnel at 3 paces might be used twice a year.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:56 am

stui magpie wrote:
Shitty day so got my cook on.

Got a beef roast slow cooking in the crockpot. Pull that out shortly and make a sauce out of the liquid.

Also got chicken fillets simmering with stock, wine, bacon, garlic, mushrooms and onion. Add the cream and Parmesan shortly.

Serve with mashed spuds and steamed veges.

Chicken sounds good. How long do u cook it for?

Hubby cooked roast turkey breast last night, and lots of roast veggies, he always cooks Sunday. Saturday we were at a wedding, really good finger food trays, not little shit stuff that doesn't fill you up, mini burgers and big chunks of calamari. Friday went to a friends for dinner, I made a sugar free sticky date cake, and they cooked up a fantastic BBQ. While we were waiting for the meat, I mixed up an Mexican avocado dressing for her that had her in raptures! Thursday i stupidly decided to make Jamie's super greens canaloni, they tasted really good, the sauce was fabulous, cooked salmon to go with it and some calamari steaks, but geezus it took forever to clean the mess, the kitchen, my hair, my clothes, next time I'm using flat canaloni, lasagna, vegetarian lasagna, I'm making lasagna.

So daughters boyfriend rocked up last week with a big home made pizza, half potato, (yuk) half pesto, the pesto was to die for, this week he turns up with a big plate of quiche slice. I'm not sure what to think. Maybe the kids tell her I don't feed them. True, weekends we might go out for dinner one night, and hubby. Cooks Sunday, but I've cooked him plenty of edible meals. And they've been her for a BBQ I pulled all stops out at, and a couple of Christmas and birthday parties. My daughter says 'oh she was just cooking up a big bunch of pizzas, or as the week before that, lasagnas' who does that?

So next weekend they are having a spit, they are Italian and something else, so Easter is big, and we aren't doing anything, so she says 'well they are having a do!' Which is cool! They generally do alternate weekends. So I'm thinking I'll make an extra sticky date for them, and maybe some cookie dough protein balls. A couple of flavours!

I am so not into this let's share baking shit, I just can't compete! She makes stuff that looks like itcane out of a pastry shop. Is it in the DNA?

I mean I can cook, I just really don't feel like it very often. I'm doing a jaimie recipe slow cooked beef thing tonight. 37 days and no real cooking for 33 days! Yippee!

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:13 am

swoop42 wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Laughing 3 girls... that i know of.

I can and have shot a gun but I don't own one Stui. I don't think it'd go down too well if I borrowed old Vics rifle and went out shooting roos Confused

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:17 am

ronrat wrote:
Skids wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^

Can't you go bush and shoot your own?

I can't shoot Shocked

Reminds me of when the old boy showed me how to cook it up.

Was working on a gas compressor station out in the East Pilbara and staying at a nearby cattle station (Lyndon Station), living in the old shearers quarters. Must of been the mid 90's I think.

Dotty cooked it up for us one night and it was superb, was the texture of a lamb shank and delicious. I said how good it was and asked him if he could cook up some more before we left.
Next day, sitting out the front of my room having a beer and old Dotty comes walking past, a rifle over one shoulder and three fresh roo tails.

We went into the kitchen and he showed me how to skin ém and which parts of the tail were best for the oven. added some oild, some bush spices and put them in, would you believe, an oven bag Shocked

What woud you need shearers quarters for on a cattle station

Lyndon was originally a sheep station but the poms soon worked out that the land/weather was no good for sheep. It's even pretty harsh country for cattle, hence the droughtmaster breed that now roam the million acres.

They've upgraded since I was there.

Lyndon Station

Historic property situated on the ‘Woolwagon Pathway’ self drive trail, Lyndon Station Cottage Stay is a friendly stopover for travellers visiting Mt Augustus, Ningaloo Reef, Coral Bay and Exmouth. Caravanners and Campers welcome.

• Working Cattle Station
• Beautifully restored self-contained 2 bedroom cottage with original pressed tin walls, modern bathroom, aircon, TV
• 2 bed cottage sleeps up to 4 (1 queen and 2 singles)
• Wonderful views of the bush and red ear ‘Outback’ country
• Mud map provided to explore scenic spots and waterholes
• Home-style meal package using organic beef and seasonal organic vegetables inc/breakfast, lunch (packed if req) and dinner $60 adult, $30 child

http://www.australiasgoldenoutback.com/Listing/Lyndon_Station

If you're ever doing a trip through WA, I highly recommend getting out to see the Darcys' at Lyndon. It's 150k off the bitumen, a 4WD is the go although on a visit back there about 10 years ago, I drove an old EF falcon out there.

https://www.offexploring.com/robwild/blog/western-australia/lyndon-station/20091207115145

Cool

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:24 pm

think positive wrote:

Chicken sounds good. How long do u cook it for?
![/quote]

Depends, an hour or so. I'm imprecise on stuff like that.

I just brown the fillets, take them out and fry the onion garlic, mushies etc in some butter and olive oil, chuck in some stock and white wine, put the fillets back in. get it to the boil (covered) then turn down to low and wander away.

Moisture all stays in the meat as it's basically being braised so a couple of hours is fine, if you're in a hurry you could do it all in less than an hour.

memo to self, reduce the amount of liquid next time before adding the cream, it came out too runny for what I was after

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:41 pm

easter Sunday tomorrow. thinking of doing rabbit for dinner. Razz
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:54 pm

Had left over beef curry with fresh curry leaves (a woman at work brought in lots of home grown curry leaves form her backyard tree & little limes). Daughter no 2 made various salads with left overs in the fridge including a corn capsicum salsa like salad, and some grain I'm not familiar with ? farrah with tiny currants, cauliflower & other bits & pieces as well as using up all the left over zucchini in an egg like zucchini dish.

The youngest took a nibble of a small homegrown chilli & thought this isn't too bad, so she thought it would be a good idea (who the F knows why) to have the whole lot. Was a Jalapeño from the garden. She didn't realize how many seeds were jam packed in there. She suffered & had resolved by the time I got home from work yesterday!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:42 pm

^

geez, if a jalapeno made her suffer she should stay away from real chillies. Confused

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:13 pm

We observe strict food rituals for Good Friday. However, last night Golden Terrace wasn't open, so we had to get our chicken and lamb doner from Alaysa.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:26 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

geez, if a jalapeno made her suffer she should stay away from real chillies. Confused

We have lots of the little killers too: the thai tiny chillies. Having said that she laughed at her self so the word suffer is being used liberally.

I don't like too much chilli in my food these days.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:29 pm

Life without too many chillies would not be worth living.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:32 pm

The Thai birds eye chillies are great. Nice amount of heat and you can mix it up or down depending on taste.

jalapenos are nice, but just add a bit of warmth. I'll put 2 home grown sliced jalapenos in an omelette with cheese and bacon, and put hot sauce on top to eat.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
Page 67 of 119   

Jump to: