Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

So. What's for Dinner?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

think positive wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Last night made DIY Tandoori chicken with Mint coriander chilli relish & with assistance from my youngest Ginger cake with lemon pistachio icing. From Neil Perry in the Sunday Age.

http://www.goodfood.com.au/good-food/cook/recipe/ovenbaked-tandoori-chicken-with-mint-and-coriander-relish-20150626-3yf0u.html

Thanks for the link, came up a treat , (even I couldn't screw it up!)

<snip> wedding tonight, can't wait for the food, got to love a <snip> wedding!

Great stuff. Did you do the cake too? Friggin' great

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:42 pm

I talked to a lot of people since yesterday.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:45 pm

think positive wrote:
WTF? W.O. G. Gets snipped! Hahahahaah

& you're surprized? Why not say a Greek or Italian wedding or whatever ethnicity wedding? It ain't PC. It's a pretty off term to use.

(Now waiting for the "they use it on themselves" chorus or "I'm a ..". & "I'm not bothered by it"...chorus...)

King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:49 pm

^ You're living in the 70's man. Laughing
Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:26 pm

I'm actually amazed that anyone could be offended by the W-word in our post-Nick Giannopoulos society. Shows the age of some of the mods on here, if I may say so. Wink
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:00 pm

W-word?
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:31 pm

Which W word was worrying WTP, work?

Last edited by 3.14159 on Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:38 pm

We had a movie called The [snip] Boy FFS.

In this day and age [snip] is to Greeks/Italians what Bogan or White Trash is to Anglo Australians.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:54 pm

Cooked another apple crumble while I listened to the game tonight. Added dates and a banana to this one. Just had the first mouthful. Yum!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:08 pm

/\ sounds yum yum

Last night made a Tim tam cheesecake for hubbies birthday, OMG, it's a heart attack on a plate!

Also made 2 big dishes of potato gratin with onion, bacon, cream and lots of cheese, (someone may die!)

Made a coleslaw thing but with raisins and toasted walnuts (added a bit of pure maple syrup when toasting, yum) and a home made dressing, olive oil, honey and lemon, really yum.
Plus tomato, cucumber, red onion salad with honey apple cider vinegar dressing. (2 things I can eat!)

All of hubby's family is coming for lunch, but I'm a leavin at 2.15 to head into the G!

Go pies!!

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:41 pm

think positive wrote:
/\ sounds yum yum

Last night made a Tim tam cheesecake for hubbies birthday, OMG, it's a heart attack on a plate!

Also made 2 big dishes of potato gratin with onion, bacon, cream and lots of cheese, (someone may die!)

Made a coleslaw thing but with raisins and toasted walnuts (added a bit of pure maple syrup when toasting, yum) and a home made dressing, olive oil, honey and lemon, really yum.
Plus tomato, cucumber, red onion salad with honey apple cider vinegar dressing. (2 things I can eat!)

All of hubby's family is coming for lunch, but I'm a leavin at 2.15 to head into the G!

Go pies!!

We have:

Means;
Intent;
Method;
Plan;
DNA;

Do we have motive your worship?

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:44 pm

Youngest made me Lemon Blueberry cake for Fathers day yesterday.

Went to work (swapped for an am shift 7.00am) got to the G at 3:05pm, got home after the game & had cake with Maggie Beer Vanilla Ice Cream. That is, I didn't have it with Maggie Beer but her brand of Ice Cream.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:01 am

Hahha I wish

Cake sounds good, love that maggie beer!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:08 pm

Tannin wrote:
Tannin's apple crumble:

5 apples
2 pears
small handful of sultanas
small handful of dates
small handful of raw almonds
cup of rolled oats
half a small lime (or lemon)

(No sugar, no spices, no butter, no nuffin! Just quality fresh ingredients.)

Core and dice the apples. (Do not peel!)
Bring to boil and steam lightly, stirring occasionally. Put just enough water into the bottom of the pot to save it boiling dry - we aren't going to drain the water off, all the goodness stays in.

Core the pears and cut into large chunks. Leave the skin on, of course. Most of the flavour of most fruits is under the skin, and most of the nutrient, and you need the skin to provide some textural interest to the finished product. Don't cook the pears yet.

When the apples are half cooked (still firm but starting to soften) toss in the pears and sultanas. Judge the time to put the pears in according to how ripe they are. If they are still hard and crispy, cook them a bit. If they are ripe and juicy, just barely warm them up.

Turn off the heat and let the pot sit while you stir in whole almonds, and chopped dates (if desired) and chop the lime finely, peel and all. That goes in last. (If you want to do it really right, add the lime peel early (just after the apples) and save the juice and flesh till last. Cooking makes the flavour of the peel spread through (which is good) but takes away the flavour of the juice.)

Empty into a baking dish. Cover thickly with rolled oats and firm down into the mix. You want about half the oats submerged in the apples to soak up juice.

(You can stop here and keep it to one side for cooking later if you wish.)

Bake in a hot oven until the apples start to bubble. Hot oven!

Serve hot with lots of cream, ice cream, sour cream, or Greek yogurt. The yogurt is best 'coz you can have lots of it and get that magic mix of hot and cold at the same time. (Ice cream would work too but it's too cold and hurts my teeth!)

Hint: if the baking dish isn't a bugger to clean, you didn't get the oven hot enough. Rather than use your best presentation ceramic baking dish, find an old metal one (such as the thing you put the extra vegies in when you are doing a roast) 'coz then you can just use a little brute force to clean it without worrying about taking the glaze off.

Hint #2: Don't over-bake it! Don't turn the apples into mush, and you really want to preserve that crisp, refreshing firmness to the pears. Bake very hot but for a only a short time to get that lovely baked tang (this has something to do with chemical changes to the fruit sugars when they very hot, and probably makes them do all sorts of lovely carcinogenic things).

Hint #3: instead of or as well as the dates, almost anything! Soak a few dried apricots overnight, dice and toss in. Banana is great (slice it lengthways and lay it on top to go soft and crispy in the oven) but banana tends to dominate the flavour and you can't taste the pears.

Hint #4: as well as or instead of the rolled oats, you can use a quality unsweetened raw muesli on top. This works brilliantly!

PS: Don't piss about serving this in small quantities after a large meal. This is the meal. Start with an entre or a bowl of soup if you insist, skip the main, and have a ginormous bowl of crumble, closely followed by another one. After that, the only sensible thing to do is put your feet up and open the port.

Mmmmmmmm tucking into this now with a little honey yogurt, delish!

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:13 pm

^

Looks tasty.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
Page 48 of 119   

Jump to: