Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

So. What's for Dinner?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:06 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

watt price tully wrote:
Marinating chicken thighs with bone left in with:

Garlic, ginger, chilli, cumin, smoked paprika, fresh mint, fresh coriander, salt, pepper, lemon juice & yoghurt. In the fridge overnight.

For baking this evening with salad & veg.

Also a soup with no fat but tasty as (making it this arvo):

Onion, oyster-blade steak or any blade steak (that one you can cook over time), water, carrot, zucchini, small parsnip, celery, fine barley, salt, pepper & dill.

Slice the onion & line the bottom of the soup pot with the onion then lay the steak over the onion & put it on the lowest heat for about 30 - 40 minutes with lid on. Later add water, diced vege's & condiments (not dill - save till later). Can add chicken stock powder (massel's powered is a good one)

After one hour or more take out the steak & cut into edible size chunks. Then add dill - lots of it chopped up.

Make sure you rinse the barley well before using. Like a good curry, it gets better the longer it's cooking / waiting e.g. tastes better the next day.

Yummy

Interesting method. I would have chopped the onions. browned them in the pan with a little olive oil, then browned the meat, then chucked in all the veges and braised them for a bit, then add the water and spice, bring to a boil then simmer for a few hours.

What's the logic behind warming the onion and steak for an hour?

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:52 pm

stui magpie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Marinating chicken thighs with bone left in with:

Garlic, ginger, chilli, cumin, smoked paprika, fresh mint, fresh coriander, salt, pepper, lemon juice & yoghurt. In the fridge overnight.

For baking this evening with salad & veg.

Also a soup with no fat but tasty as (making it this arvo):

Onion, oyster-blade steak or any blade steak (that one you can cook over time), water, carrot, zucchini, small parsnip, celery, fine barley, salt, pepper & dill.

Slice the onion & line the bottom of the soup pot with the onion then lay the steak over the onion & put it on the lowest heat for about 30 - 40 minutes with lid on. Later add water, diced vege's & condiments (not dill - save till later). Can add chicken stock powder (massel's powered is a good one)

After one hour or more take out the steak & cut into edible size chunks. Then add dill - lots of it chopped up.

Make sure you rinse the barley well before using. Like a good curry, it gets better the longer it's cooking / waiting e.g. tastes better the next day.

Yummy

Interesting method. I would have chopped the onions. browned them in the pan with a little olive oil, then browned the meat, then chucked in all the veges and braised them for a bit, then add the water and spice, bring to a boil then simmer for a few hours.

What's the logic behind warming the onion and steak for an hour?

The onion cooks or is sweated by the juices of the meat. The heat has to be very low, I usually put it on high for 30 seconds or so then turn it right down low. After the 30-40 minutes or so, then add your water maybe 6-8 cups.

The grain we use is fine barley - eaten European deli's & supermarkets our neck of the woods. Dill any time should never be in those plastic packs from the supermarket. Like their coriander tasteless. Green grocers usually sell better quality.

The logic is not to use fats i.e. no oils or butter etc. A recipe my mum made. Otherwise, I dunno but it tastes good!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:59 pm

Interesting. Ta for that.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:21 pm

Chicken soup. LOL.

Saw the daughter Friday morning as I had a late start and she slept here. She was crook, sore throat etc, but still going to work.

So yesterday after frigging round in the morning and missing most of the warmth, I thought I'd do the rightie and go and buy some stuff to make some homemade chicken soup.

I get back with the groceries and walk in the house, to find her in the kitchen having just got back from the supermarket with ingredients to make, you guessed it, chicken soup. LOL

So we pooled resources and effort. She chopped up all the veges, I chopped and cooked the chicken before turning over control to her. We differ in cooking techniques so I left her to it.

Came out pretty good, chicken and vege soup loaded with garlic and ginger.

With the chicken I bought that we didn't use, I've made a chicken and penne salad with avocado, bacon, cos lettuce and cherry tomatoes.

If the son shows up for dinner, there's enough soup and salad to feed everyone and have a bit left over. If he doesn't, I'm eating soup and salad til Wednesday.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:16 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Chicken soup. LOL.

Saw the daughter Friday morning as I had a late start and she slept here. She was crook, sore throat etc, but still going to work.

So yesterday after frigging round in the morning and missing most of the warmth, I thought I'd do the rightie and go and buy some stuff to make some homemade chicken soup.

I get back with the groceries and walk in the house, to find her in the kitchen having just got back from the supermarket with ingredients to make, you guessed it, chicken soup. LOL

So we pooled resources and effort. She chopped up all the veges, I chopped and cooked the chicken before turning over control to her. We differ in cooking techniques so I left her to it.

Came out pretty good, chicken and vege soup loaded with garlic and ginger.

With the chicken I bought that we didn't use, I've made a chicken and penne salad with avocado, bacon, cos lettuce and cherry tomatoes.

If the son shows up for dinner, there's enough soup and salad to feed everyone and have a bit left over. If he doesn't, I'm eating soup and salad til Wednesday.

Sounds yum.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:15 pm

Marinated more chicken thighs a day & a half ago & made a spinach pie (like a spanakopita) the other day.

Spinach, 4:1 ricotta & feta, sauteed mushies, a little sauted onion & lots of dill. Some nutmeg & pepper mixed with egg. Combine the lot & used 4 sheets of filo-pastry top & bottom. Serve with red tomato chutney, salad & steamed veg.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:45 pm

Oops, a bit too much garlic on the chicken thighs! Embarassed
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:24 pm

No such thing as too much garlic!

Tell me, how long does all this cooking take you, and who cleans up?

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:27 pm

think positive wrote:
No such thing as too much garlic!

Tell me, how long does all this cooking take you, and who cleans up?

I'm on 2 weeks leave officially commencing to morrow but had friday & the weekend off. I did there washing after preparation & Mrs WPT does it when I cook.

I made the spinach pie before going to the game - so had a bit when I got home + for the W/E.

Marinating the chook takes 15 minutes - providing you've got all the ingredients.

Baking is about 1 hr. Mrs WPT & I made a big salad at lunch - so it went with that & a bit of steamed cauli, broccoli & baby carrots. Left over chook for tomorrow lunch (made 2 kg's worth for 3 of us!!!)

Mrs WPT is much much more efficient in the kitchen & does much more than I do. However, she's been working far to hard lately last few months & also run her business (working with hoarders) where demand is outstripping supply - lots of referrals.

You know what men are like, vacuum the floor & they think they deserve a medal. Put me in that group!!!

(I'll be washing up tonight before bed)

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:03 pm

I'd love to work with hoarders, I love clearing out stuff, though I get carried away,and ditch things I shouldn't.

Big koodus to you, putting your hand up. Sounds yum.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:59 pm

think positive wrote:
I'd love to work with hoarders, I love clearing out stuff, though I get carried away,and ditch things I shouldn't.

She's been working with the rat lady, the cat lady & the roof lady. The rat lady was a beauty - 3 x 11 cub meter bins in a day from a 2 br unit. Turns out the rat lady used to say that at night Mr nibbles would visit. Turns out Mr Nibbles was a rat or rats that nibbled her feet & forehead - she lived in squalor as well as being a hoarder....That day Mrs WPT had a very long shower & threw out her workclothes!!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:31 pm

^

Umm, wow. Shocked Long shower using dettol for shower gel.

Me, I had left over BBQ and salad for dinner.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:31 pm

watt price tully wrote:
think positive wrote:

She's been working with the rat lady, the cat lady & the roof lady. The rat lady was a beauty - 3 x 11 cub meter bins in a day from a 2 br unit. Turns out the rat lady used to say that at night Mr nibbles would visit. Turns out Mr Nibbles was a rat or rats that nibbled her feet & forehead - she lived in squalor as well as being a hoarder....That day Mrs WPT had a very long shower & threw out her workclothes!!

Shocked Shocked

OMG. Ugh, your wife's amazing!

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:20 pm

think positive wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
think positive wrote:

Shocked Shocked

OMG. Ugh, your wife's amazing!

Yeah she is.

The Roof lady is an older woman who lives in her own house but is so cluttered with hoarding that there is no room in the house. She has a mattress down back tucked away where the rood dips & slots herself between the ceiling & the roof. Shocked Sad

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:39 am

Tofu patties with hummus & salads in lebanese bread - yum. Stoked because it's the first time in making over many years they stuck together, didn't fall apart & tasted really good i.e., everything worked well.

The key was draining the firm tofu of water / liquid.

Recipe: 2 packs of firm tofu, each drained, wrapped in a tea towel & having a weight on them like a 1/2 a pot of water - for about 1/2 an hour. Then finely grate the tofu & place in a big bowl. Add 1 cup of oats, soy sauce & 1 tablespoon of red curry paste, a teaspoon of cumin & a bit of chilli (I use hot paprika).

Finely dice 1 onion, mince 2 cloves of garlic in a garlic press & finely dice 3-4 stalks of celery. Fry them slowly till onions are soft & clear. Add to the tofu mix. add one well beaten egg & add a little olive oil. Mix well allow to sit for about 1/2 hr.

Then with wet hands make into patties - not thick & shallow fry in a non stick pan till brown. Turn over & repeat.

Then get the lebanese bread - pita & use one circle of the pita - peel off one layer.

Then add hummus, sliced tomatoes, lettuce, finely grated carrot. julienned red capsicum, julienne cucumber & I like to add beetroot - mrs WPT makes a simple pickle of them.

Then wrap the pita & voila a tofu & salad wrap.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
Page 40 of 119   

Jump to: