Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

So. What's for Dinner?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:18 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
1. I mada a vegetable chickpea curry late last week: Mustard seeds, cumin, tumeric, coriander and chilli (all ground), onion garlic, a tin of tomatoes and water that covers the veges: Carrot, potato, zucchini, red capsicum and cauliflower. Salt & pepper to taste. Served with brown rice, fresh cornander and indian yoghurt. Israeli side salad of diced tomatoes, capsicum, cucumber spring onion and left over tabbouli from the day before.

2. Last night youngest came over to stay & study (and cook) she made vegetable enchiladas with a coriander, lime and chilli sauce and a delicious sald.

3. Got home from work & footy (long day) and she made a tuna tomato/vege based pasta sauce with olives and pasta shells and a basic garden salad. For desert she made a moist carrot cake (with pecans and walnuts all in thr food processor) with lemon icing. Not good for the waistline.

I like a salad more than cooked veges, but I just can't quite do it over winter

I can't have sald on it's own in winter but with hot veges etc it's fine.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:19 pm

Tonight Mrs WPT & I had leftovers of the three meals noted above. Easy & cleaned some of the fridge out! Less dishes to wash.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:06 pm

Making Vegemite and vegetable soup now for lunch for the next few days.

Tossing up for dinner between the Beef Wellington, Bratwurst sausages or crumbed lamb cutlets which are all in the fridge.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:09 pm

Tonight: fish and veg: Mashed spuds, small piece of steamed cauli, small piece of steamed broccoli, small mixed veg ratatouille: tomatoes, mushies, capsicum small bit of onion and zucchini. Not too sure what type of fish yet, likely flathead tails.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:11 pm

stui magpie wrote:

Tossing up for dinner between the Beef Wellington, Bratwurst sausages or crumbed lamb cutlets which are all in the fridge.

I used to love BBQ'd marinated lamb cutlets. (I could a whole lot now), BBQ snags always a winner.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:44 pm

No fish left at the Glen. Mrs WPT was in Glen Waverly for a job but they'd sold out. Grilled flake then as the veges are done.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:47 pm

^

Missed your opportunity. Those marinated lamb cutlets would have been nice. Wink

K 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:57 pm

watt price tully wrote:
She primarily came to study. She usually on weekends studies at Monash Caulfield library. Also she brought washing: nice quiet warm house, Mrs WPT does tge washing ( more her whites etc) they went out early for brekky & shopping, then she studied . Her contribution as it were is something she likes doing: cooking and baking.

Happens every coupla weeks depending where she is with respect to assignments and exam prep. Has an exam on contract law I think in a few weeks

Sounds sensible. Washing is really painful without a good washing machine. Even worse if you don't have a machine and have to go outside for one. As someone in that situation once said, "I'll know I've made it when I have a washing machine in my own apartment." Cooking, on the other hand, simply requires a fridge and a stove-top, although extra equipment may be helpful.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:11 pm

Went for the Beef Wellington, with mashed sweet potato and steamed cauliflower, beans, broccoli and corn on the cob.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:05 pm

stui magpie wrote:

Vegemite and vegetable soup??

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:07 pm

^

yep. Instead of using stock, I put a tablespoon of vegemite in the water. It's vegetablearian but tastes like beef stock. Add a dash of worcestershire, a little fish sauce, and Bob's your aunty.

On that note, getting sick of mashed something with steamed veges beside the protein and the old girls won't eat salad unless it's over 35c, so I stole a bit from WPT and made up some ratatouille.

Eggplant, zucchini, mushrooms, onion, capsicum, garlic, tomatoes.

Gonna have it with some crumbed lamb cutlets.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:28 am

Made soy burgers (patties last night): 500 grams of firm tofu, (need to drain the liquid out a but si I use a tea towel after opening the pack (safeway macro varoety is good as is blue lotus brand). Aon top of the tea towe I put a small board with some tin cans on top (Mrs WPT uses parer towels) for about 20 mins.

Meanwhile, finely dice a large onion or two regualr size ones.
Finely dice at least 3 sticks of celery
Finely dice a red capsicum
Finely dice some mushrooms
Finely dice a regular sized zucchini
Press 3 garlic cloves

Fry the onion and garlic stirring regularly
Add celery stirring regularly
Then the rest making sure it doesn't burn

Finely grate the tofu

Place the tofu and pan fried veg etc, combine, add 1 beaten egg, soy sauce for salt & pepper. Mix well

Leave to sit for bit.

Meanwhile:

Get some lebanese pita (must be fresh) and humus

Cut up some tomatoes, lettuce, cucumber, capsicum and beetroot ( I also add some shop bought tabbouli)

Form the mix into smallish patties then shallow fry only turning once: they are a bit fragile and may crumble . I needed two batches and made about 14 or so and use about 2-3 when rolling up a wrap (I use a single piece of the large pita then adding a small amount of the veg). More a summer food but still nice last night

Mrs WPT had made pickled beetroot from homemade beets last summer and we had lettuce in the garden.

Heated some up after work tonight

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:08 pm

Chicken schnitzel with some baked veges with as twist.

Bite size pieces of zucchini, capsicum, eggplant, onion, potato, brussel sprouts, asparagus and whole cherry tomatoes, coated in olive oil and balsamic vinegar and roasted and some haloumi cheese chucked in for the last 10 minutes.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:29 pm

Steak and bean tortillas.

Pan fried a couple of porterhouse to just barely rare then set them aside.

Fried some capsicum strips in the oil, added a tin of diced tomatoes and a tin of kidney beans and some chilli seasoning, got it to the boil then off for an hour.

Thinly slice the steak, add to the tomato bean sauce and bring back up to hot.

Put the steak and sauce mix into a tortilla, top with grated cheese, sliced tomato and lettuce. roll up using a toothpick to hold it closed, top with salsa and guacamole, eat.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:32 pm

How does some capsicum strips in the oil added a tin of diced tomatoes and a tin of kidney beans and some chilli seasoning got it to the boil then off for an hour taste?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
Page 84 of 119   

Jump to: