Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Australia's iconic airline on life support

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:02 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

watt price tully wrote:
Do you mean these work practices Stui?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaXvFT_UyI8

ROFL, I hope not. Razz

I'm more thinking of inflexible rules that put penalty payments in place and allow people to manipulate the system. Think PSEN's manipulating the roster to get multiple change of shift allowances each week, but on a bigger more expensive scale.

They want to be able to use more agency labour for peaks in workload. Your workplace would use Agency as a last resort because they're too expensive. So why are agency workers comparatively more affordable for them compared to using casual or part timers?

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:51 pm

stui magpie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Do you mean these work practices Stui?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaXvFT_UyI8

ROFL, I hope not. :P

I'm more thinking of inflexible rules that put penalty payments in place and allow people to manipulate the system. Think PSEN's manipulating the roster to get multiple change of shift allowances each week, but on a bigger more expensive scale.

They want to be able to use more agency labour for peaks in workload. Your workplace would use Agency as a last resort because they're too expensive. So why are agency workers comparatively more affordable for them compared to using casual or part timers?

I don't get change of shift allowance! I get 50% on W/E & for O/T I get 1.5 for first two hours & x 2 thereafter!

I also barely get breaks & always carry the pager when on duty. It's a quid pro quo though, the manager knows we can knock off early when there's nuffink to do & the shift is adeqautely covered. At the same time in the last week I've finished at 1.30 am instead of 10 pm b/c its sooo busy, left at 1230 am instead of 10pm b/c its soo busy. Left at 0845 instead of 0730 x 2 on night shift. No O/T. Where I work there can be down time so to speak but most of the time we are well understaffed ( and can be overwhelmed with presentations). It is not a stretch to say that 25% of our shifts have one staff member missing b/c we cannot back fill the positions. So instaed of 3 in a day we have two. A shocking state of affairs.

We don't employ casuals in my specific workplace because there are not enough skilled clinicians doing the specific work required. We work as sole practitioners. If PSEN's in your network are abusing the system then that reflects on poor line management for not tightening that part up.

In the past when working as a senior manager I changed 2 on 2 off to eight hour shifts to stop rampant abuses but I didn't close down the workplace so to speak. This happended relatively quickly but with good will & extensive consultation.

However Kennett came in & cut the Disability field by 12% in one fell swoop & basically thats when I left - he utterly screwed that sector up & cut squllions but that's another story.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:02 pm

^

You work in a growth industry unfortunately and there's not enough people willing to work in the hard parts.

And yeah, you wouldn't get change of shift it's for SEN's PSEN's and clerks. Our PSEN's don't abuse it, some of the clerical people seem to be and you're right as to the reason.

I was using that as an example of what I expect would be practices that would inflate the labour bill at Qantas.

MJ23 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:09 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
It is obvious that Qantas made the decision to close down so that Fair Work would be forced into ordering the unions back to work for the next 21 days. Qantas chose this path as it was preferential to death by a thousand cuts which was what was being applied by the unions. Like it or not, it is called brinkmanship.

When considering the fact that the international section of Qantas is running at a loss of $200 million PA they need to do something. This loss is being covered by profit made in the domestic market. This cannot go on forever. If they put fares up further they will lose considerable market share both internationally and domestically. The option is to either close down the international routes or to to reduce their operation loss by other means.I also felt it magnanimous of the engineers a couple of weeks ago in offering to assist the airline in getting the 7 grounded aircraft back into the air and only demand 4 times their hourly rate to do so.

or relocate off-shore.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:12 pm

Let's wait and see what they do.
MJ23 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:12 pm

sq3 wrote:
My last QANTAS flight was 5 years ago - our company changed to Virgin for domestic and internationl at the time and we have never looked back.

Much better service, better prices and better loyalty program.

I do think QANTAS will be downsized or totally JetStar run in the very near future.

One of their most profitable (if not the most) was the LA business class route when they were protected - now Virgin is on that route every day.

Both sides are to blame - QANTAS and TWU.

Was both Virgin and Qantas FF
Am now only Qantas and have had much better experiences although at times both have let me down.
Like the Qantas club best.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:16 pm

^

Personally I've rarely ever flown Qantas. I used to be an Ansett fan, then since their collapse I use Virgin. Never had a fault with the service and I like being able to book an exit row seat.

MJ23 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:23 pm

Black_White wrote:
MJ23 wrote:

6 hours in six months causing $70mil loss not including devalued shares.

Figures not confirmed in any annual report. So take with a grain of salt.

Quote:
No dividends paid to the share holders.

A planned tactic for the war that they were planning to wage. And no correlation to the "$70 million in lost revenue" lie.

Quote:
Un-certain future as to when the next 6 hours will happen.

True, but when you start a war........

Quote:
The deeper agenda you talk about in my view is 100% correct and the unions are helping them get there. Ultimately the share holders are all the board will and wants to care about.
This will earn him another pay rise.

I would expect his next rise is already linked to his ability to shed staff and move jobs offshore. As Australians we should be horrified. It appears not all of us are.

its a brave call going to Fair work with a lie and hoping no-one catchs on.
Bit like this 70% pay rise crap
he had two years where his salary was reduced and this year they have given him an increase that also inculdeds in his TOTAL package potential MAXIMUM bonuses he could earn based on hurdles he WILL NOT acheive.
This is a change in the way they report his salary which previously did not inclue the bonus.
he will not earn 70% more this year than he did last.
but yes he will earn more and at this stage I reckon he is on track to earn it.

what, starting a war is refusing to bend over now ?

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:27 pm

^

Joyce didn't start the war, he just showed he knows where the "Nuke" button is for a tactical response. Wink

MJ23 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:31 pm

Laughing
like bringing a gun to a knife fight Wink

MJ23 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:33 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

Personally I've rarely ever flown Qantas. I used to be an Ansett fan, then since their collapse I use Virgin. Never had a fault with the service and I like being able to book an exit row seat.

I dont like the extra's they sting you for - luggage weight in particular.
I dont have a problem getting exit row seats through Qantas club

Black_White Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:00 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

You can book an exit row seat on Jetstar. Will cost you though.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:04 pm

Ok I'll try not to do had a fault with the service too much. What do you like best about BEING able to book an exit row seat ?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:52 pm

Black_White wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^

You can book an exit row seat on Jetstar. Will cost you though.

I don't use Jetstar either. Costs about $40 extra for an exit row seat on Virgin but well worth it.

sq3 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:41 am

MJ23 wrote:
sq3 wrote:
My last QANTAS flight was 5 years ago - our company changed to Virgin for domestic and internationl at the time and we have never looked back.

Much better service, better prices and better loyalty program.

I do think QANTAS will be downsized or totally JetStar run in the very near future.

One of their most profitable (if not the most) was the LA business class route when they were protected - now Virgin is on that route every day.

Both sides are to blame - QANTAS and TWU.

Was both Virgin and Qantas FF
Am now only Qantas and have had much better experiences although at times both have let me down.
Like the Qantas club best.

Last QANTAS filght had to pay excess bagage for golf clubs - so tried Virgin - no extra charge.

Simple things like that have our company and family flying on Virgin.

Virgin Silver anf flying to the US many times a year - baggage allownace 63kg - nice.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10   

Jump to: