Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#5 Jamie Elliott

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Woods wrote:
My understanding is that Elliot was not charged for urinating in a bin. He was charged with being drunk in a public place.

The pissing in the bin might have led police to consider that he was drunk, but of itself it is not a crime (unless you cause damages, piss on people etc)

Without having tried to check, I'm pretty sure urinating in public is an offence that'll get one into trouble.
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:07 pm

K wrote:
Woods wrote:
My understanding is that Elliot was not charged for urinating in a bin. He was charged with being drunk in a public place.

The pissing in the bin might have led police to consider that he was drunk, but of itself it is not a crime (unless you cause damages, piss on people etc)

Without having tried to check, I'm pretty sure urinating in public is an offence that'll get one into trouble.

A strange tale but true. There was a landmark case in Darwin about 25 years ago that is little known outside the NT. A journo walking home from a late night out took a piss against the front wall of his house. He'd been writing stories about NT Police corruption and was followed home by a police car. They saw him urinating and charged him on summons with indecent exposure. The case in the Darwin Magistrates Court went for a several days (much to the wrath of the magistrate) with the journo defending himself (the case is an Aussie classic and is worthy of a comedy screenplay). The journo used in his defence that the human need to urinate is paramount. He was found guilty, but appealed. And it being an NT court in a Commonwealth territory the appeal went to the Federal Court where the magistrate's judgement was overturned. Federal Court decisions hold sway over all state jurisdictions. So Australia is (as far as I know) the only place in the world where you can urinate in public.

And the said journo once played footy in Darwin with a talented young teenager by the name of Nathan Buckley.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:52 pm

Woods wrote:
K wrote:
Woods wrote:

A strange tale but true. There was a landmark case in Darwin about 25 years ago that is little known outside the NT. A journo walking home from a late night out took a piss against the front wall of his house. He'd been writing stories about NT Police corruption and was followed home by a police car. They saw him urinating and charged him on summons with indecent exposure. The case in the Darwin Magistrates Court went for a several days (much to the wrath of the magistrate) with the journo defending himself (the case is an Aussie classic and is worthy of a comedy screenplay). The journo used in his defence that the human need to urinate is paramount. He was found guilty, but appealed. And it being an NT court in a Commonwealth territory the appeal went to the Federal Court where the magistrate's judgement was overturned. Federal Court decisions hold sway over all state jurisdictions. So Australia is (as far as I know) the only place in the world where you can urinate in public.

And the said journo once played footy in Darwin with a talented young teenager by the name of Nathan Buckley.

An entertaining tale, Woods.

The last Collingwood-related player caught that I'm aware of was Damien Adkins in 2005 (at WCE). I don't know what his punishment from police or club was.

I just found a NewsCorp article from last year that stated the following.
Quote:
Public urination is a straight-up offence in Queensland, South Australia and the ACT. In NSW, it’s not specifically an offence, but a person who does it will likely be charged with offensive behaviour under the Summary Offences Act and fined $500.

The same goes in Victoria and Tasmania. West Australian police recently announced they would also issue on-the-spot fines of $500 to people who publicly urinate.

Queensland’s Summary Offences Act spells it out like this: “Evidence that liquid was seen to be discharged from the vicinity of a person’s pelvic area is enough evidence that the person was urinating.”

Liquid discharged from the vicinity of the pelvic area... Shocked
Also, $500 does seem a more natural fine amount than a weird number like $634... I wonder where that came from.
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:23 am

The states can have whatever laws they like on their books, and their cops can charge you under those laws whenever they like. However, what stands up in court if you contest the charge is an entirely different matter.

Eg. People round my way get fined by their local council for not mowing nature strips outside their homes, which is council land. Most pay the fines. But take it to court and argue that the council has no power to compel a resident to labour for free (ie. slavery) on council land and you can have it tossed out.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:24 am

Liquid discharged from the vicinity of the pelvic area... Shocked
Also, $500 does seem a more natural fine amount than a weird number like $634... I wonder where that came from.[/quote]
They legislated years ago a
that all summary offences that attracted a fine would be adjusted annually for CPI. It is avoid the necessity to bring amendments to petty legislation and clogging up Parliament. Of course this does not apply to wages. This fine could be 657 dollars next year.

There could be hundreds of these fines over the cup carnival.Only one at this stage will have Carowhine and Slobbo calling for a death penalty. Although Slobbo may shut up about this as his chance of getting caught for the same offence is probably higher than most.

I got pinged at the Footy at a sunday night game a few years ago and the fine was 485.00 dollars.Effing dobber text.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:35 am

I can't believe all these posters are yet to actually ask the most important question.
Why was Jamie drinking so much in the first place ?
Well its bleeding obvious really isn't it.
He like the entire playing group are rebelling against the club and it's ludicrous decision to award the Copeland to Sidey.
This one decision has destroyed the club and I doubt this will be the end.
I'm expecting Pendles to be arrested soon along with several team mates for some reason. By the time preseason starts we won't have a single player who hasn't been charged with some offence or worse is currently a guest of the prison system.
All this because the club awarded the Copeland to the wrong player.
Eddie come out now announce it was completely wrong and award it to Adams.
The players will again believe in the club and act accordingly and turn up to preseason training in peak condition and ready to make a real impact on the 2018 season.
Lol ok I've taken the "piss" enough now just thought I would give my ole mate P4S some interesting reading for a bit.
If this is his greatest indiscretion as a 25yr old then I can live with it
Heck if I got fined every time I've taken a "snakes hiss" in a public place I could have funded the repayment of the national deficit
If he didn't play with Collingwood it wouldn't make a paragraph on page 12
roxymeg 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:08 am

He's gone - like the others before him. Only lillywhites for us!!!
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:12 am

The fact that he was arrested says a great deal about our police and their priorities. In more sane time he would have been told to wake up to himself and told to get into a taxi and go home without delay.

This is made all the more ridiculous when considering youth crime in this state and the attitude of our court system and state government.

If this is the biggest fallout when considering the pain this young man has endured and the problems he has had to overcome it is not even worth consideration.

The club will go through the motions to sooth the ranting of the pathetic PC correct brigade and he will be ready to play when the real footy commences.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:36 pm

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
Drunk and pissed, that's some effort!

I'm also hearing he left the bin lid up?

as a woman, theres the offence right there!!

hes not very tall, musta been a little wheelie bin!

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:47 pm

think positive wrote:

Orrr....
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:35 pm

Harrysz wrote:
So, everyone on here supports Jamie Elliott and thinks the media must have had a slow news day. There are even references to Donald Trump.

Jamie Elliott is 25 years old. I don't know how much he's being paid but it must be some hundreds of thousands of dollars. With that comes responsibility. When out in public you don't get drunk and you don't urinate into rubbish bins. This is embarrassing. Sure it's not as bad as sending nude pictures on social media, but it's still pretty bad. Lots of kids look up to Jamie. Whether he likes it or not, he's a role model. That imposes a certain standard of behaviour. If he doesn't accept that then he shouldn't be an AFL footballer. I'm hoping that he does accept that. I'm hoping that he's embarrassed and remorseful. I believe that the club should suspend him from playing in round one next year. The club should take a stand and not slap him on the wrist. This is all about the culture that the club wants to promote.

I won't get much support for this on this forum, especially not from the Nicksters who claim to have done what Jamie has done. But they're not AFL footballers and they don't represent the Collingwood Football Club.

Get over yourself. He's a human being and sometimes people screw up and make mistakes. I dare say that most of us have done the same or something similar at some point in our lives. Stop being so precious and self righteous. If his 'actions' offend you so much then surrender your support of the team and follow a sport where everyone rides about on their moral high horse and adheres to your PC view of the world. If anything this says more about our so-called police force looking to raise revenue by dishing out fines for every little misdemeanor. Meanwhile drugs are being peddled all over the city, fights murders etc but it's easier to pull out a book and hand out fines. He did nothing wrong. End of story.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:42 pm

Perhaps I'm just expressing my own concern about it.
Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:13 pm
Post subject: Oh what!Reply with quote

Give the kid a break! I get pissed often and collapse on my neighbors lawn or sometimes wet my pants! No headlines about that in the Geelong Advertiser! I feel for Jamie E. Urinating in a bin is surely better than wetting his pants? The kid had a few drinks and let his hair down. Big deal. I am furious that the Club has not come out and defended him. Pathetic! Time for a vote of no confidence in our Board over this issue!
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:14 pm

What a wanker the cop must be Mad
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:23 pm

think positive wrote:
FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
Drunk and pissed, that's some effort!

I'm also hearing he left the bin lid up?

as a woman, theres the offence right there!!

I laughed. At least Jarryd Blair doesnt need to worry about this. Cups don’t have lids.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 19 of 35   

Jump to: