Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Required information for a trip to Bendigo.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Williamstown Factor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2000 11:20 am
Post subject: Required information for a trip to Bendigo.Reply with quote

As I went to college up in Bendigo for four years (and worked there for a couple of years after that) I am qualified to let you all know what you need to know for a trip there this Sunday to watch the Magoos.

Good Cheap Eats. You can not beat the Waterloo Hotel on Bridge Street. Even though Tracey (runs the place) is a Richmond supporter, Pete (works in the place) should be there and he is one of the faithful (he might even go to the game with ya). Who cares who the chef supports, he puts on good meals in the public bar for less than $6, and a wider choice in the dining room for around $8. Ooops, sorry, I do not think they do meals on Sunday (but will be serving drinks). Save this one for another trip.

If you are coming in or leaving by the McIvor Highway, make sure you stop in at the Bull Head Hotel. Best beer in town. It is a real quiet pub. You cannot miss it (actually you can, as it is famous for being the pub that looks like a house). It is on the left coming in, on the right going out.

The Hibernian used to be the home of the local supporters club.
It is just up the hill from the Bendigo Base hospital.

Unfortunately, the famous Shamrock Hotel, is little more than a pokie venue and a cafe (more than a bar). Only of interest if you are in to architecture.

Pubs around the QEII oval.
1. The Rifle Brigade. It is opposite the ground, in View St, on the town side.
2. The Parkview. Again opposite the ground, on the corner of View Street and Barnard street I think, the NOT town side.
Both these used to have food, but I do not know about Sunday's.

One pub that I do know serves food on Sunday's is the Queen's Arms, in Quarry Hill.

And for trivia's sake. There are 50 or 51 pubs open still in Bendigo. The number jumps between these two, because as one pub burns / closes down, they reopen another. I have a list of these pubs. In 1910 there where 113 pubs in Bendigo, I have a list of these too, the list includes what street they where on too, as it would be hard to place some of them without, as the landscape has changed since then, in some cases dramatically (actually that is a guess as I was not around in 1910).

Ah the pub crawls we used to have in Bendigo. Actually there is one revolving around Richmond on Saturday. I think one of the stops is alleged to be one of the bars in the Gee, I guess they figure they can get in for free after three quarter time. I think I will join up with them after the game.

GO THE PIES.

WARNING! You are not allowed to DRINK on the streets of Bendigo. They are ruled by wowsers. It is a hotbed for right wing religious temperance society members. No joke, you will see their headquarters between the fountain and the QEII oval (on the right).
ELVIS 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2000 2:26 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi greg, after the game the players and cfc supporters club are going back to the Windermere hotel high st (main road) Kangaroo Flat for a meal and drinks. all supporters are welcome to join us as we have the whole dinning area booked. If you would like to book a table ring Barry on 054 5447 7240 If not i will see you at the game .GO PIES !!!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Williamstown Factor All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: