Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Our approach to the VFL in 2012

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:36 pm
Post subject: Our approach to the VFL in 2012Reply with quote

I understand that our approach to the VFL side has been about development over victory, but I wonder if perhaps that attitude should change slightly from next year onwards. Should we place a bit more emphasis on winning VFL games and at least contesting the VFL finals, rather than treating them as 'bonus' games? Our VFL side didn't make it to the finals, so our seniors were without a back-up outfit to keep 2nd tier players in match fitness as we went into September.

And while I'm at it, I think we should have a go at setting up a VFL Reserves side, to complement the VFL senior side (which complements the AFL side!). It would give us another avenue for playing injured players back into fitness, allow us to keep our top-up players playing to our game style, and would also allow for more flexibility when developing players for their roles at AFL level.

For example, if we wanted to give more time to Ceglar for rucking, we could play him as number 1 ruck in the VFL Reserves and Witts plays as no. 1 ruck in the VFL seniors. Or the other way around. This is just one example of what we could do with a second VFL team. We are, after all, about investing in our sources, aren't we?

Thoughts, ideas?

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:13 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 2012 will be better year for the VFL side any way. All the kids will have another preseason under their belts and will be better equiped. Add a few new recruits and all players (hopefully) available after the off season surgery and I think we'll be very competitive.

I also like the idea of a VFL reserves team. Allows all the kids who can't get into the VFL seniors to play together along with top ups and potential NSW rookies who are still to come into the system. Any opportunity to ensure the kids are getting the Collingwood message and familiarisation with the game plan and structures has to help. If nothing else it cements the culture.
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:07 am

Purely from a spectator's point of view, I'd like to see a VFL reserves team if only to have them play as a curtain raiser to the VFL seniors on the same day, preferably Saturday afternoon at Vicky Park.

Then, all we would have to do is wrangle some more Saturday night games at the G, and we would have triple header Saturdays to look forward to!

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:33 pm

The focus of the VFL team will be to win in 2012. The club realised this year that when they needed to get game time into some players it could not and went in to finals with players underdone. From the recruiting side that I know about they have focussed on key areas to make the team a winning combination. For the first time since the VFL team came along I may actually go as I saw no point going to watch a team that focussed on getting players ready to play in the seniors first and winning was not really the intent of the coaching staff.

The focus has to be winning and developing players along the way so when they step up into the seniors they are ready.

I was not a fan of Tarks as a coach, I have now changed my view and I expect a different VFL team running out in 2012.
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:38 pm

Well, we have 3 Saturday night games in Melbourne, so here's hoping the VFL fixtures our VFL games for those rounds on the same day but in the afternoon. More double-headers, please! Smile
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:10 pm

As a VFL reguler, I'd like to see more wins. We could have, and should have, made the finals last season.

You get the feeling that alot of the players will come out on fire early. There were too many games we lost that we sholdnt have in 2011.

But like you said Bat, they are more about developing and prepareing players than just winning.

Losing Sundberg will hurt alot. Losing K Pendles will hurt too.

Looking forward to getting out to Vic Park in 2012. The ground will look alot different since our last visit there!!

BTW, like the idea about a reserves team. Makes sence.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:31 am

^^ The VFL squad have picked up some quality players and they will offset any loss. I am so impressed by the current management and sqaud I am going to start going to VFL games and I can say I have never been to one.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:01 pm

Culprit wrote:
^^ The VFL squad have picked up some quality players and they will offset any loss. I am so impressed by the current management and sqaud I am going to start going to VFL games and I can say I have never been to one.

We know of 3 - Do you have any others you know of?

tommo 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:04 pm

Presti#1Fan wrote:

That 100% confirmed or just what you think will happen? I personally think there are better VFL players then both of these 2, and would appear more likely to get picked up by clubs. (If that's what you mean by losing them)

I'd like to hang onto both Sundberg and Pendles, but it will be a task you'd imagine.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:30 pm

Matty Boland is a young big full forward, Acurate kick. Never got a go at Sandy due to them dropping St Kilda Players back. Ferraro is Luke Ball/Scott Burns type. He will get you first use of the ball. Doria will hit Boland with every kick. They more than account for Sundberg and Pendles as outs. We will drop players back and if what I am told is correct not to the disadvantage of the VFL players. Will be interesting and I am keen to go.

Now I do not go to VFL, only watch what I see on TV and as the players it's what I have seen in local footy.

DTM, I am told after the draft we will have a better idea of who will be still available. That goes for Collingwood and The Rams Very Happy
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:00 pm

Developing players still needs to be the primary focus IMO. That's what we got our own VFL team for, so we could control who played where and for how long.

Winning has to be secondary but that doesn't mean we don't try to win, we just try to win while developing players in the roles we want to use them at AFL level, or in developing skills to help them at AFL level.

The main reason we lost so many games this year in the VFL IMO was because we lost so much depth. We turned over a lot of AFL experience and replaced them with kids. Kids who need time to build mature bodies and develop. A few games I went to we has only 1 or 2 players with AFL experience against teams that 7 plus a lot of bigger bodies. That's probably one reason why we would fade out in games we could have won.

The kids we have will be better for last season and if they are going to push for AFL games, some of the ones with 2-3 years on the list need to step up and start making a statement.

I'll get along to a few games again next year, hope to catch up with you Culprit. We tend to sit up in the DTM stand. Wink

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:36 am

Looking forward to it Stui. There is a Senior Core at VFL level then there is the fringe players list that will make way for the Seniors that drop down from the AFL. The more of thos fringe players I can get on to my teams list the happier I will be Very Happy
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:25 pm

tommo wrote:
Presti#1Fan wrote:

That 100% confirmed or just what you think will happen? I personally think there are better VFL players then both of these 2, and would appear more likely to get picked up by clubs. (If that's what you mean by losing them)

I'd like to hang onto both Sundberg and Pendles, but it will be a task you'd imagine.

Just my opinion Tommo. I think K Pendles to GWS will happen. And I think Sundberg is a chance to get picked up somewhere. I also agree that there are better VFL players about that would get a chance before him. (One of them has already ended up at St Kilda).

Also, I wouldnt have a problem making Sundberg the VFL captain if he were to stay.

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:28 pm

Culprit wrote:
....I am going to start going to VFL games and I can say I have never been to one.

I fkn love going to the VFL matches. I enjoy it more than the AFL games at times.

Cant wait to see what Vic Park looks like.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:57 pm

I enjoy local football more, reminds me of the old days. Full strength beer, standing in the crowd. Sitting in the car in the rain. Having a chat with the players, coaches after a game. I am a member not a number.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: