Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Reserves vs Carlton Rd 17 MATCH REPORT

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Williamstown Factor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broadie 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 1999 3:39 pm
Post subject: Reserves vs Carlton Rd 17 MATCH REPORTReply with quote

Well I'm glad I went early yesterday, as I saw all but the first quarter of our reserves - they would have put up a far better fight in the senior game.

Kinnear was awesome. He lead strongly, marked like a champion (even outnumbered 3-1 in one contest), and kicked 7 magnificent majors (3 or 4 in the last term - I lost count). It wasn't as if he had it easy either. His marks were almost all contested, and his shots at goal were not often in "the V". A couple were lovely 40+ metres out. He really should have been in the ones.

Rhyce Shaw also played (wearing #29) and was VERY impressive. He had speed to burn, kicking both his goals by outrunning 2 Carlton players then unloading form about 40 out. He was hard at it all day, showed very good skills, and covered a huge amount of territory on the wing.

Walker, despite the listing in the papers, was a shadow of a shadow. He played mostly at CHB and was outclassed any time there was any pressure. He actually seemed to be avoiding contact with the player he was on - to the point of giving away a goal by shepherding instead of going the punch. His skills when on his own were very good, bt how often does that happen at the top level? He looks way out of his depth.

Licuria was a class act, and must appear in the team to travel west. Williams was a surprise (Neil Balme said they didn't even consider him - it was Williams who approached the match committee on the Friday to ask if he could play reserves!) but didn't set the world on fire. Missed 2 easy shots in the final term. Orchard played, but didn't really stand out. Brad Smith was OK, but confirmed my suspicion that he won't ever play AFL

All in all, they looked a cohesive and well drilled unit, who played very much "corridor football". Interestingly, they always left the front of the square vacant for the quick centre break / forward lead, and it came off many times.

PS: for those who don't know, we won by about 120 points.
Pie no sauce 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 1999 7:55 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for a good report.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Williamstown Factor All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: