Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2011 NFL thread - a jackspain celebration

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:16 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I put $5 on Washington to beat Dallas. Crying or Very sad

Skins could have won it but made crucial mistakes.

The Sav fumble was near the end of the first half. Commentators seemed to think it was not completly Sav's fault as the pass was very awqward. However Sav still should have been able to place it.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:14 am

Only 2 games on free to air this week (baseball finals have taken the early spot).

Patriots in the first game (should be interesting to see how much damage Brady will do on the rebound from a loss to the Bills).

Second game should be an absolute ripper - Ravens v Jets. And for those of you who are big Jets fans - just check your guide: at the moment, the Jets' game is set to finish around 4.30pm Monday on Channel 1 (assuming there is no extra time).
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:51 pm

Pity we can't choose which games get broadcast there's some great match ups this week.

Detroit v Dallas

Pittsburgh v Houston

New England v Oakland

New York (Jets) v Baltimore

Indianna v Tampa Bay (though this would be a much, much better game if Peyton was playing).

On a personal note, here's hoping my boys can beat the hell out of the Eagles and their "Dream Team" keeping them winless for the year Shocked

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:31 pm

So, another round bites the dust.

The 49ers were brilliant in their come back to pip the Eagles. OEP will be happier than at 5.10pm on Saturday, I reckon.

Meanwhile, the Packers continue to look like the competition benchmark. This week, number 12 seems to have accepted that he will never catch the great number 4's numerous all-time passing records but that there is just a chance he might be able to get the crown for must rushing TDs by a quarter-back. So, he just didn't bother to pass and ran in a couple of TDs himself in a 49-point display of powerful offense.

On a more disappointing note, The Jets/Ravens game told us 2 things. First, absent drastic change, neither side is going to make the Superbowl (it was possibly the most error-ridden NFL game I had ever seen - involving, as it did, 4 turnover TDs and one 107 yd kick-off return for a TD). Unless you're Pittsburgh, it's 1972 and Mean Joe Green is in the middle of your defence, you really shouldn't look most like scoring when the other side's QB has the ball. Secondly, the Jets' offensive line just looked unable to keep out a strong pass-rush. The Jets need to sort that out soon or they'll need a bigger vaccum cleaner to pick up what's left of Sanchez. Sorry Presti#1 - but I think your boys have some ground to make up on the top sides.

The Redskins prevailed against the winless Rams - and this week, Sav doesn't seem to have been a subject of opprobium. To the contrary, he seems to have had a stand-out game. 7 solid punts, including a monster from deep in defense to pin the Rams to poor field position as they were coming back at the end of the game: see http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/31213/redskins-sav-rocca-punter-of-the-day

In other results, the private jet to Hattiesburg beckons for the Vikings, who are now 0-4, having been beaten by the Chiefs (who finally have a win on the board), Chicago got over Carolina, Detroit (like Green Bay also 4 for 4) left Dallas stunned, turning a 3 to 27 deficit in the third into a 34 to 30 victory, the Patriots outdid a fairly uncompetitive Oakland, the Colts lost (again), this time to Tampa Bay, Peyton's brother Eli got the Giants home over the Cardinals, Atlanta just beat Seattle, the Chargers skittled the Dolphins, the Texans beat the Steelers (and Big Ben has some injury worries) and New Orleans, Cincinnatti and Tennesee all had wins.

Also - if anyone cares - Ben Graham has just been re-signed by the Cardinals. Not that it will help them, much. But it does mean that he won't be coming back to play for the Cats anytime soon.

It looks at the moment like two of the best teams (and the only undefeated teams in the NFL so far this year), the Lions and the Packers, are going to be vying for top position in the NFC North. This tussle should be one to follow (at least until the wheels fall off the Lions, anyway).
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:48 pm

Following on from my take on the Jets/Ravens Fumblefest 2011, I just had to share this quote I've just read:

"Neither Mark Sanchez nor Joe Flacco were all that successful throwing downfield Sunday night, but both were particularly putrid in their short games."

See: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=311002033

Great stuff, guys. The stuff of quarterback legend.
Yarra Falls End 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:44 am

Pies4shaw,
Are you out there?Are you watching the game at the moment.
I'm at work and following the Atlanta game on nfl.com

First time the Pack have been more than 7pts behind in 2 seasons.
Bugger No 12 sacked twice in a row.At least we get the FG.No 4 would've thrown an interception for no points
Yarra Falls End 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:08 pm

Pack go to 5-0.If the Lions keep winning should make the Thanksgiving Day game interesting.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d822eabb3/article/harrison-favre-doesnt-have-a-reason-to-hate-on-rodgers

Interesting read
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:59 pm

Holy crap 48 to 3 Shocked

Leading the NFC West division with a 4-1 record and that loss was an overtime loss to the Dallas Cowboys.

Are my boys for real or just getting my hopes up again only to crush them by mid season. All really depends on Smith, if can keep throwing more TD's than interceptions then the 9ers may be a legitimate chance for the conference. Though it'll be a massive task given they have the Packers (my pick for the Super Bowl win), much improved Lions, always dangerous Saints and the Eagles (who will eventually find their winning form).

Finally enjoying my NFL again.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:45 pm

Yarra Falls End wrote:
Pies4shaw,
Are you out there?Are you watching the game at the moment.
I'm at work and following the Atlanta game on nfl.com

First time the Pack have been more than 7pts behind in 2 seasons.
Bugger No 12 sacked twice in a row.At least we get the FG.No 4 would've thrown an interception for no points

Sorry, YFE - couldn't get on the server earlier and, in any event, don't yet know the results - unfortunately, I had to turn my attention a little away from the NFL (but from the suggestion that the Pack are now 5:0, I can guess). Wink

I did see the Vikes won, finally - did they put no. 4 on the flight from Hattiesburg?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:50 pm

Yarra Falls End wrote:
Pack go to 5-0.If the Lions keep winning should make the Thanksgiving Day game interesting.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d822eabb3/article/harrison-favre-doesnt-have-a-reason-to-hate-on-rodgers

Interesting read

That was just a stir-up by Harrison, wasn't it? Favre seems to have been a bit mortified that it was blown up in the way it was. There's a couple of other reports posted at www.officialbrettfavre.com Laughing
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:52 pm

OEP wrote:
Holy crap 48 to 3 Shocked

Leading the NFC West division with a 4-1 record and that loss was an overtime loss to the Dallas Cowboys.

Are my boys for real or just getting my hopes up again only to crush them by mid season. All really depends on Smith, if can keep throwing more TD's than interceptions then the 9ers may be a legitimate chance for the conference. Though it'll be a massive task given they have the Packers (my pick for the Super Bowl win), much improved Lions, always dangerous Saints and the Eagles (who will eventually find their winning form).

Finally enjoying my NFL again.

I think they're coming together, based on what I saw last week. Haven't seen this game, yet, though, OEP. Just enjoy it while they're winning!
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:31 pm

Well, things are certainly hotting up in the NFC North. Detroit beat Chicago to reach 5:0 for the first time since 1956. Meanwhile, Green Bay have reached 5:0 for (I'm pretty confident) the seventh time - and they've won the NFC Championship every previous time they've started 5:0.

Got to watch the Pack against Atlanta early this morning. Thank goodness for YFE letting me know the Pack had won before I watched it - when the Falcons led 14:0, it looked bad but, 25 unanswered points later, it just looked like a normal day at the office for Green Bay. Really, apart from one 70+ yard TD throw, and generally firing off accurate passes like a bullet and not being intercepted, A-Rod showed nothing in this game. Laughing Sure, he threw for 396 yards and his 100th career TD (another 400 and he'll still be behind the Great One Razz ) and he has the highest ever passer-rating in NFL history for a passer with 1,500 or more completed passes - and yes, alright YFE, Laughing he has the lowest interception rate in NFL history (about 1 every 523 passes) - but he just doesn't have No. 4's devil-may-care attitude. I realize that the coaching staff probably thing of that as a good thing but, hey ....

Meanwhile, in Viking land, Peterson ran in 3 more TDs - and this time, the rest of the team failed to stuff up his good work. As I said some weeks back, he really is wasted in Minnesota and deserves to be playing for a team competing for ultimate honours. The game stats show that McNabb only passed for 169 yards, while Peterson ran 122! Seriously, what were they thinking when they took McNabb on? I reckon No. 4 could throw for 169 yards in Minnesota without even leaving Hattiesburg. Crying or Very sad

The Jets put in another poor one against Brady's Patriots and they look to me to be falling off the pace, though I hope for Presti#1's sake they get up and about - at least this week Sanchez didn't look like getting maimed. The Patriots still look to me to be having some defensive problems - but while Tom keeps throwing the way he is, they are a chance against anyone.

Sav's red-skins had the bye (along with the Browns, the Cowboys, the Rams, the Dolphins and the Ravens), so there's nothing to report there.

In other news, Vick's Eagles failed 31:24 to come from behind against the Bills (who are now 4:1) - the Eagles have now lost 4 out of 5 and look to me to be GONE; the Peyton-less Colts contrived to throw away a 24:7 lead and are now 0 for 5 (and also GONE); the Seahawks held off the Giants; Big Ben passed for 5 TDs (I didn't think he had it in him - seriously), as the Steelers bounced pack and over-powered the Titans; the Saints held off the Panthers; the Bengals beat the Jaguars (if anyone cares); the Raiders stood up in the wake of Al Davis' death to hold off the Texans; the Chargers held off the Broncos; and the 49ers (as OEP told us yesterday) have pulverised the Buccaneers 48:3.

So, after about a third of the season, it looks to me like Green Bay are the team to beat again, although the Lions are top of NFC on strength of victory rating, at the moment. Of the chasing pack, I think the Patriots and the Saints look capable. I still haven't seen enough of the 49ers to form a view but the stats suggest that Smith is still not making enough territory with his passing (3 TDs this week - but only 170 yards total) - he is plainly improving and if the improvement continues, the 49ers are a real chance. Meanwhile, Rocca's Redskins are a chance of making the play-offs (they are top of NFC East, at the moment).

In the NFC, the Vikes, the Eagles, the Cardinals, Carolina and St Louis all look to be out of the race - for the other teams, it's too early to say anything sensible. In the AFC, the Colts, the Dolphins, the Broncos and the Jaguars all look done and dusted, even at this early stage and the rest are too close to call.

Next week's schedule should tell us more about the title prospects of the Lions and the 49ers (they play each other) and absolutely nothing about the Packers - the only way they could lose to the Rams would be if A-Rod found himself laughing so badly at the St. Louis defensive line that he couldn't stop long enough to throw straight.

The Jets have a big chance to get their season back on track against the more or less pointless Dolphins (1972 seems a long time ago, now).

Bills/Giants, Sainst/Buccaneers and Texans/Ravens should also be good - and important, in the context of the standings - contests. Meanwhile, the Redskins, Bengals, Steelers and Patriots all look to have chances to consolidate against weaker opposition.

Assuming that having a top-notch and in-form QB is generally a good thing in a SB, the best-equipped offenses at the moment look to be Green Bay, the Patriots, the Saints and Eli's Giants. Of course, the Steelers can never be ruled out because their defensive line always looks imposing and they have the only known Polamalu in captivity - they will be there or there abouts, again.
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:54 pm

Yeah Pies4shaw I'd have to agree about the Jets front five, their terrible. Was watching the game last week against the Ravens and what a disgrace, it's lucky he wasn't killed during the game. On two occasions he was crushed on the blind side which is a huge no no for an offensive line, most players would rather give away the penalty dragging the defensive player down than allow them to obliterate the QB.

I starting to think the players weren't thrilled when they saw Sanchez blow his nose and then wipe it on the backup QB, yeah that's right sports fans he wiped his snot on another players guernsey. Classy guy Shocked

Your right the Packers most definitely are the team to beat this year and the only way I see them not winning the Super Bowl is if Rodgers (poor mans number 4) goes down for the season. The reality the is the other teams are playing for second place.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:01 pm

So, this week, the FTA games are really top notch contests, plus the Vikes vs the Bears. Laughing

First game (starts v. early Monday our time) is Sav's Redskins (not sure whether that name-change has been made official yet) v the Eagles. Next is Tampa Bay and New Orleans - I am looking forward to watching Brees in this one - he was pretty good in the opening round against Green Bay, it was just that A-Rod was better.

In the third game, the Vikes will, no doubt, be out to discourage MacNabb from throwing the ball and begging him to give it Adrian Peterson, instead. It really should be fantastic watching him take on the Bears defence. My tip? - Vikes by 23 points at the end of the third but losing a close one after another dreadful final quarter fade. In the meantime, I feel sorry (a bit) for the Minnesota fans - how bad must it be to go from watching No 4 as your starting QB to watching MacNabb hand the ball off because he can't reliably throw it to the guys in purple?
Yarra Falls End 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:25 pm

If I've read the record book correctly,when we win this week it will be 12 consecutive wins which will be a record number of consecutive wins for the Packers.

Pack to wear the throwback dark blue jersey with poo brown helmets this weekend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 3 of 14   

Jump to: