Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2011 NFL thread - a jackspain celebration

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:08 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ This is almost certainly true, YFE - but did you have to say it twice? Laughing

Anyway, Rodgers threw for 308 yds and a couple of TDs again in the Packers' win over the Carolina Panthers (30 to 23). The Panthers' new QB (Cam Newton) threw for over 400 yards and, surprisingly (given the strength of the Green Bay defence), lived to tell the tale. But Clay Matthews and Charles Woodson intercepted Newton 3 times and those turnovers were probably the difference in the end.

In other big results, the Jets are now 2 for 2, after demolishing the Jaguars, whilst New Orleans and the Steelers (with a 24:0 shutout of Seattle), along with Dallas, all bounced back well from round 1 losses.

Meanwhile, the game's unluckiest footballer ever, Adrian Peterson, is still running 120 yards a game and scoring 2 TDs - but the Vikes nevertheless managed to turn a 17:0 half-time lead into a 20:24 loss with only 31 seconds left on the clock. Donovan McNab (18 for 30, 228 yds and 0 TDs) is not a viable replacement for the great No 4 and it is probably not too late for Minnesota to send a plane down to Hattiesburg to bring the Great One back for another year? Alternatively, could the Vikes please release Peterson and let him play for a serious team - he deserves better than this?

As for me, well no Packers on free to air this week, so it will be back to my Packers' "10 Greatest Games" DVD set. I might watch No 4 in the snow against the Seahawks for the 42nd time - I think Favre let Rodgers on the field, briefly, at the end of that one! Laughing
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:19 pm

I neglected to mention that the Redskins won (again) and the former North Melbourne AFL footballer Saverio Rockwell received another good report from one Redskins blog, in the following terms:

"Also, Punter Sav Rocca. Don’t underestimate the value of a good punter, something absent in Washington for years. Rocca punted three times, putting 2 of them inside the 20. He also ended the game with a very nice hit."

From: http://dcprosportsreport.com/2011/09/18/redskins-thumbs-up-and-thumbs-down-8/

I might mention that Sav was fantastic last week, too. Reminded me of his kicking for goal the first time I saw him playing for Collingwood in the reserves against the Blues (I think) all those years ago - everything just went 70 metres.
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:09 pm

God damn it my team beaten in OT. Given the fact we're currently playing without a decent QB this team could be a real threat to take out their division (NFC West), and maybe even, at a stretch, the NFC Conference.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:22 pm

OEP wrote:
God damn it my team beaten in OT. Given the fact we're currently playing without a decent QB this team could be a real threat to take out their division (NFC West), and maybe even, at a stretch, the NFC Conference.

That's just kharma for having Montana and Young one after the other - after those champions, the 49ers are entitled to a decent quarterback again in about, say, 2050. That said, I thought Alex Smith was exciting at times last year, although he tends to make too many mistakes.

But the 49ers should take out the Cleveland Browns next week.

Speaking of QBs, here's one the 49ers must have been glad to see the back of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYiePhlNa58&feature=related

Ah, the man who wore Alan Didak's number - Go No. 4! Laughing
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:07 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
OEP wrote:

That's just kharma for having Montana and Young one after the other - after those champions, the 49ers are entitled to a decent quarterback again in about, say, 2050. That said, I thought Alex Smith was exciting at times last year, although he tends to make too many mistakes.

But the 49ers should take out the Cleveland Browns next week.

Speaking of QBs, here's one the 49ers must have been glad to see the back of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYiePhlNa58&feature=related

Ah, the man who wore Alan Didak's number - Go No. 4! Laughing

Yeah, thanks for that flash back Crying or Very sad

Ahh for the days of Montana and Young. The glory days with Montana, Young, Roger Craig, Ronnie Lott, Jerry Rice, Merton Hanks, Dana Stubblefield, Bryant Young, Fred Beasley, Junior Bryant, John Engelberger, Terrell Owens Shocked , and Ahmed Plummer.

God I think I'm gonna cry Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:27 pm

^^^ OEP, I'll try to keep an eye on how those 49ers are going.

In the meantime, you might just have to rest content in the knowledge that the NFL might have released a 10-DVD set of Green Bay's 10 greatest games but the 5-DVD 49ers set of their 5 greatest games contains 5 superbowl victories, 4 with Joey. No comparison, really.

But, just to balance the ledger, here's a much more famous 49ers catch; the one that, as you know, started the dynasty:

http://www.ninersnation.com/2008/6/5/546850/49ers-cowboys-the-catch-on
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:44 pm

That's what I'm talkin' about. Also this -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZD4naaFdQo

Must admit I've got a soft spot for Tampa Bay Buccaneers, I just love the attitude their playing with and I believe their QB (Josh Freeman) is the best young QB in the league. His potential is through the roof.

Also love their list:

1. Mike Williams - Amazingly talented young WR.
2. Penn / Larsen / Faine / Joseph / Trueblood - great front 5 with a lot of belief in each other and some real aggression.
3. Kellen Winslow - very solid TE.
4. LeGarrett Blount - love the way this kid runs with the football. He just loves initiating contact and putting a hurt on the defensive players.

Add to that Earnest Graham as the FB and you have a very unpredictable, dangerous and dynamic offensive group.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, their defensive outfit doesn't match the offensive outfit otherwise they'd be a genuine Super Bowl threat.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:51 pm

Some great moments in that video, OEP. Personally, I liked Garrison Hearst's run (number 9) best.

Although I enjoyed them, nos 10 and 6 are of limited significance, being as they concern (a) a QB who now plays for the Vikes and (b) the Vikes, period.

As for number 3 - where was the Minister for Defence when that throw was made? Reggie would never have let that happen - they'd still be looking for pieces of QB, if he'd been rushing on that play!

Three big games this week on free to air - Cleveland v 49ers (don't know if I will be up to watch that one live, OEP, given the 3 am start), Bears v Packers and Colts v Steelers.
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:02 pm

9ers are playing Cincy and the Browns are playing Miami, but your right there are some really good games this week.

Personally I reckon the Houston v Saints / Falcons v Bucs / Redskins v Dallas have the potential to be absolute rippers.

I'm most looking forward to the Falcons v Bucs game, two young teams with a lot to prove, great QB's, great RB's both have dynamic offensive and defensive sets. Should be a great game.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:45 pm

OEP wrote:
9ers are playing Cincy and the Browns are playing Miami, but your right there are some really good games this week.

Personally I reckon the Houston v Saints / Falcons v Bucs / Redskins v Dallas have the potential to be absolute rippers.

I'm most looking forward to the Falcons v Bucs game, two young teams with a lot to prove, great QB's, great RB's both have dynamic offensive and defensive sets. Should be a great game.

Embarassed I must have misread the draw, OEP. Anyway, Cleveland/Cincinatti - neither of them will push the 49ers. Laughing
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:25 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
OEP wrote:

Embarassed I must have misread the draw, OEP. Anyway, Cleveland/Cincinatti - neither of them will push the 49ers. Laughing

You'd bloody hope not, or their really up the creek without a paddle (or decent QB). It's amazing one bad (really bad) pick with a no.1 draft pick a few years ago has almost set the club back a decade, just goes to show how important recruiting staff are.

Thank god the Pies have Derek Hine Very Happy

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:21 am

49ers took out a defensive tussle this morning, beating the Bengals 13 to 8, coming from behind. The game wasn't decided until late in the 4th with a 49ers TD and great interceptions on both of the last two Bengals drives. The only score the Bengals could get late was the 2 point safety the 49ers' punter gave up with 8 seconds on the clock, to run down time.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:19 pm

Green Bay won a big game against divisional rivals Chicago, 27-17.

Meanwhile, the Vikes blew another lead against the Detroit Lions and are now 0-3 and likely to hold up the division, again.

I have heard that the Buffalo Bills are 3-0 after today. That is difficult enough to believe, in itself, but it is even harder to believe that they knocked off the Patriots. So, I'll have to watch that one before commenting further.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:51 am

The Sav Rocca headlines are not good today. Eg "Rocca Fumble Sinks Redskins". They lost 18 to 16 to Dallas.

The Washington Post's Dan Steinberg put it this way http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/redskins-cowboys-best-and-worst/2011/09/26/gIQAw7jh0K_blog.html :

"Best Punter: Sav Rocca is the best Washington punter I can remember in my Washington Post tenure. As Mike Jones pointed out, before the first half was over, Rocca already led the NFL with seven punts inside the 20. He added an eighth in the fourth quarter. Except....

Worst Hold: Third straight game with a miscue on a field goal, from the miss in week one to the block in week two to the dropped hold in week three. Rocca was the culprit this time, and yeah, those three points might have come in handy."
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:32 pm

In other games of likely interest:

The Steelers put the Colts' season (0 for 3) on the precipice 23 to 20, with an exciting come-from-behind win. Highlight was Harrison killing the QB and Troy Polamalu waltzing in for a TD. Who needs an offense when you have such a defense?

Saints won 40 to 33 after a high-scoring last quarter against the Texans.

I can confirm that the Bills really did beat the Patriots. The Bills are now 3 for 3 and are probably the early season success story, along with the Detroit Lions.

The Giants ran over the top of the Eagles 29 to 16 with a 15 point to nil last quarter.

The Jets lost to the Raiders 34 to 24 but are still 2 from 3 and looking capable this season.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 2 of 14   

Jump to: