Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

News Articles 02/03/03

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies_Chat 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 6:11 am
Post subject: News Articles 02/03/03Reply with quote

HeraldSun;
---------

Shaw to the fore
02 March 2003 Sunday Herald Sun
By JACKIE EPSTEIN

THERE has been a Shaw at Collingwood for the past three years, but not many fans would realise the family line has continued.

Unlike father Ray (146 games from 1974-81) and uncles Tony (313 games from 1977-94) and Neville (43 games from 1984-86), Rhyce Shaw's career has barely registered a pulse in a black and white jumper.

Since being drafted under the father-son rule with the 18th pick in the 1999 national draft, Shaw has managed only four senior appearances.

"I probably took it a little bit easy and thought natural ability would get me through, but you have to work a lot harder than people think," Shaw, 21, said.

"This is my fourth year and it's just gone so quick so it's time I started doing something and this is the year."

Shaw made a vow that his lazy days would end after having to watch the team's success last year and his best mate, Ben Johnson, play in the Grand Final.

In October, at a time when most players take the opportunity to unwind, he launched into a fitness program devised by the club's fitness adviser, David Buttifant.

"It's pretty cut-throat AFL footy these days and I was lucky enough to stay on this year so I decided to work a lot harder and things are going my way," he said.

"I probably should have worked this hard from the start, but it's still a learning curve.

"There was a bit of jealousy there and especially last year with the team going so well you want to be a part of it.

"I grew up with guys like Johnno and Frase (Josh Fraser) and Leon (Davis) and we all got drafted at the same time and we've been good mates, so just to see them being so successful and me cruising along isn't what I wanted to do."

When Shaw first arrived at the club, the problem was that he became distracted and wanted to have fun, go out and experiment with the colour of his hair.

But recent chats with coach Mick Malthouse and his dad have set him on the right track.

He played off halfback in the first Wizard Cup game and will line up tonight at 6.10pm against Hawthorn.

His aim is to play between 15-20 games and hopefully experience an Anzac Day contest with Essendon.

"Looking back on it now I couldn't believe I even did that with my hair," he said.

"I had green hair at one stage. But it's just footy all the way and no blue boots, no nothing anymore. Just straight down the line.

"Dad's been really good and supportive and we sat down just before the end of the year and he said I've got to start doing something."

Ray is coach of his son's former under 18s team, Preston Knights, which possibly harbours the next Shaws to join senior ranks.

Rhyce's brother Heath, 17, and Tony's son, Brayden, 17, will be eligible for the draft this year.

"My young brother and cousin will be pretty close to getting drafted," Shaw said. "They're both going for the same father-son spot, I think. So whoever gets drafted first gets bragging rights."

SHANE Crawford has withdrawn from tonight's match with a back injury. He has been replaced by Adrian Cox.

--------------------------------------------------------------

HeraldSun;
---------

The other new Pie in the middle
28 February 2003 Herald Sun
By GEOFF POULTER

WITH all the fanfare surrounding Brownlow Medallist Shane Woewodin, another versatile midfielder has slipped into the Magpie nest largely unnoticed.

Andrew Williams arrived "home" from West Coast with solid credentials but has no illusions about the difficulty of breaking into a Grand Final side.

Williams, 23, played 40 of the Eagles' most recent 45 games and 84 overall, but acknowledges he faces tough opposition for a midfield berth.

He slotted neatly into the 24 for the Magpies' Wizard Cup opener last Sunday night, scoring a goal and picking up a few possessions, but it showed midfield competition is already spirited.

"It is certainly going to be very tough to break into this side with so many good young players," he said. "Coming off a Grand Final is a big effort and there is a lot of hunger there to go that step further. It's going to be very tough to get a spot."

Williams' adaptability will help his cause among an extremely flexible Collingwood midfield.

"It is probably a bonus that I am versatile, can play back, forward and run through the midfield as well ... to be able to play in all positions.

"I probably prefer the forward line (half-forward at times last season) but you can have some tough days there as well."

Williams, originally from South Belgrave before being drafted west, is chuffed to be back home.

"It's good to be at the new club. I am just trying to settle in and it's going well at the moment," he said. "It's great to be around my family again."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

HeraldSun;
----------

Buckley: Warne ban a reminder
27 February 2003 Herald Sun
By REBECCA WILLIAMS

COLLINGWOOD captain Nathan Buckley says the Shane Warne doping case was an important reminder to AFL players about their own drug code.

Warne was suspended for 12 months for taking a banned diuretic that was revealed in a drug test last month.

"Any time anyone's caught, it really does highlight the issues that you face as a professional sportsman and the drug codes you play under," Buckley said yesterday.

"We have drug talks every year, and from year to year there may be two or three new points that crop up, new bits of information that might filter back to the player list.

"As far as I know, every player here and every person I've been involved with at club level has known to always speak to the club physician about any medicine or alternative methods that they might think about using for their performance or for health reasons."

Collingwood coach Mick Malthouse said he would consider it a failure of the club leadership group if one of his players was to suffer a similar fate to Warne.

"Obviously we'd be very disappointed," he said.

Malthouse yesterday called on the tribunal to explain its penalties following the one-game suspensions handed to Richmond's Mark Chaffey and Hawk Luke Hodge on Tuesday night. While Chaffey will miss the first game of the season proper following the Tigers' elimination from the Wizard Cup, Hodge will sit out Sunday's quarter-final against Collingwood.

"There's a few things, as far as the tribunal goes, that need to be addressed," Malthouse said. "I just think that sometimes we need to be informed why decisions are made so that we don't speculate and don't get too angry about it.

"It's the uncertainty of why things are done that frustrate people.

"I dare say the Chaffey and the Hodge situation will be looked at by the AFL, or should be looked at by the AFL.

"Missing a Wizard Cup game, does it really tally up to missing the first round of the AFL?"

Malthouse said he hoped to air his concerns at next month's coaches' conference.

"I hope to be able to present to the conference ... a list and a video tape of some of the results last year and (ask) why on the surface things look identical and why a player may have got two weeks and someone else may have got off."

HeraldSun;
----------

New pet for Pies teacher
27 February 2003 Herald Sun
By REBECCA WILLIAMS

COLLINGWOOD recruit Shane Woewodin likened it to starting school all over again.

But for the 2000 Brownlow medallist, Victoria Park has proved to be anything but a daunting new school yard.

Woewodin said yesterday he was surprised just how comfortable his transition from Demon to Magpie had been.

"When you're overseas you think 'my life has been turned upside down' with a change of clubs," Woewodin said yesterday.

"It's like starting school again. You're a fresh face in a new environment, you don't know how you're going to be perceived.

"You had all that respect at one club and now you've got to earn it again at another.

"But it has been a really easy transition. The boys have been terrific and the whole staff have really embraced me."

Since learning of Melbourne's decision to trade him while holidaying overseas, Woewodin said coach Mick Malthouse and football manager Neil Balme had gone out of their way to welcome him to the club.

"From the outset when Mick and Neil Balme were ringing me in Mauritius when it was all first going through, they were tremendous," he said. "They were really eager for me to come onboard and come to the club. It's a really professional club and an amazing place to be."

Woewodin played his first match in the black and white in the Magpies' Wizard Cup opener against Carlton on Sunday.

Despite finishing among the Magpies' best on debut, the 26-year-old admitted he was still adjusting to a new style of play.

"There's significant changes and differences compared to Melbourne and I'm still learning them," he said.

"Obviously Mick (Malthouse) has his different style to what Neale (Daniher) has. It's just a matter of adjusting and coming to terms with it and learning how each individual plays."

Woewodin said the circumstances surrounding his departure from Melbourne would serve as added motivation to succeed at his new club.

But he is determined to put the painful parting behind him.

"There's a motivational drive there to do well. I was treated harshly, but I've just got to move on, get back to footy and really enjoy it again."
------------------------------------------------------------------

The Age;
---------

Magpie rookie Swan tipped to get chance
By Karen Lyon, Peter Ker
March 01 2003

After blooding three new players last week, Collingwood looks set to introduce another fresh face during the Wizard Cup, with 19-year-old Dane Swan likely to get his chance against Hawthorn tomorrow night.

The son of VFA legend Bill Swan, the teenager was recruited by the Magpies last year but spent most of the year in the VFL, where his season was interrupted by a broken hand.

Collingwood football manager Neil Balme said Swan and Richard Cole, who made his debut last year, were the only likely inclusions to the team that defeated Carlton in the opening round of the Wizard Cup.

Swan played most of last year for Williamstown in the forward line but has impressed team coaches in the back line during practice matches this year.

"He is pretty lean and he is a natural player," said Balme.

The Virtual Outer welcomes all MAGPIE fans from around the globe.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: