Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Collingwood VFL Mid-Season Review

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:06 pm
Post subject: Collingwood VFL Mid-Season ReviewReply with quote

And now the club has posted its VFL mid-season review:

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/newsfeatures/news/newsarticle/tabid/5586/newsid/116364/default.aspx

Stats galore! Smile

Originally posted in the Casey thread, but thought it might generate more discussion as a thread in itself... Cool

ItwasoutHarmes 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:00 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Really enjoy getting down watching the reserves , our old reserve seats have been ripped out but when the boys run the ball around in front of the old members area I can still hear my dad and uncles screaming many things. My memories at vic park started with Max and Wayne Richardson tearing it up + many others. I just love watching footy there.

The club review is not bad, but appreciate the reviews the regular posters put up each week. Keep it up please because I enjoy the insights.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:16 pm

Quote:
Best win - Collingwood 11.10 (76) def. North Ballarat 11.9 (75)

For sure. You would have thought we'd won a premiership the way I was running out on the field after the win!! Embarassed

Quote:
Worst loss - Collingwood 14.16 (100) def. by Coburg Tigers 22.7 (139)

Yep. Shae was fantastic in a game we really should have won. We'd be knocking on the door of the eight if we had of won this.

Tom Sundberg will be drafted for 2012. Please 'Pies get him before someone else does. Easily the best VFL player this season. Should get the VFL best and fairest.

Alex Fasolo has been fantastic to watch aswell. He's given me alot of hope for the future. What a gem of a pick. He could captain the club some day.

Looking forward to a big second half of the year by Lachlan Keeffe. He was looking great at the start of the year, which included a NAB Cup GF. He's dropped off a little and I'd like to see him earn a spot in the AFL team. At the very least, he should be getting named as an emergency most weeks.

Tarkyn has been great in the coaches box. And it was encouraging to see Nathan Brown coaching too.

As far as wins and losses go. Well I'd like to have won a few more by this stage, but I realise that its not always about winning at this level.

The 4 goal loss to the Bullants in round 2 followed by a 90 point thrashing against Werribee and then 80 points against Bendigo really hurt our season. We put up a fight against the ants, but the two thrashings in a row shattered out percentage and out of our three wins, two of them were under a goal.

We also put up a good fight against Williamstown in round 8 who ran out in the last 15 minutes.

Can we make the finals?
At the start of the year I said yes. I still think we can but it will be a huge battle and if we do it will be no higher than 7th. But we must claim a decen scalp soon.

We are 10th and play 8th place Sandringham next week followed by 9th place Box Hill the week after. We need to win both of these before we play unbeaten Port Melbourne in round 15.

The run home:
Round 13
Sunday 26th June
Sandringham vs. Collingwood Trevor Barker Beach Oval 2:00 PM

Round 14
Saturday 2nd July
Box Hill Hawks vs. Collingwood Box Hill City Oval 1:10 PM

Round 15
Saturday 9th July
Collingwood vs. Port Melbourne Victoria Park 2:00 PM

Round 16
Sunday 17th July
Williamstown vs. Collingwood Norm Minns Oval 1:30 PM

Round 17
BYE

Round 18
Saturday 30th July
Collingwood vs. Frankston Victoria Park 2:00 PM

Round 19
Saturday 6th August
Geelong vs. Collingwood* Skilled Stadium 10:40 AM

Round 20
Saturday 13th August
Collingwood vs. Bendigo Bombers Victoria Park 1:00 PM

Round 21
Saturday 20th August
Collingwood vs. Sandringham Victoria Park 1:00 PM

Round 22
BYE

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:27 pm

Good write-up, Presti. And you are definitely right about Sundberg. Mr Hine, is there a way, ANY way, that we can sneak Tommy onto our list at the end of this year?

Looking at that fixture, I can (if I am being optimistic) see five games that are winnable: Sandy twice, Box Hill, Frankston and Geelong. If we sweep all five, that would put us at 8 wins, 10 losses, if you concede the games against Port, Willy and the Bombers. Not enough.

Which means we have to win at least one of those other three games. Our previous effort against Willy gives me hope.

I think as the season winds down, some of our senior 'fringe' players will be forced back down to the VFL as the senior 22 becomes settled with palyers coming off the injury list. Players such as MacCarthy, Fasolo, Goldsack/Buckley, Wood, Blair, Macaffer/Beams and possibly Johnson. That's some serious firepower just right there.

And that's before you count the return of Josh Thomas and Ben Sinclair, which surely can only be 1-2 weeks away... Wink

So, all in all, I am actually a little bit optimistic about our prospects for the 2nd half of 2011.

Last edited by MagpieBat on Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:30 pm

I think they can beat Bendigo.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:04 pm

Presti#1Fan wrote:
I think they can beat Bendigo.

Could also beat Frankston Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: