Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Anybody catch 4 corners tonight

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:56 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
For one thing, an acceptance that regimes and people are different things. Few would implicate the Russian people in the actions of Stalin; yes, there can be complicity, but not necessarily.

but these are aussie cows, our responsibility, we send them to a cruel death, This is our govenments fault(and therefore our responsibilty) and it must stop.

and i will never accept any regime or people that allows being cruel and inhumane to any animal as the asians allow - their govenment knows it goes on - they eat the so called sweeter beef to. they allow it to happen

and its not just cows, have you seen what they do to a bear for its bile?

have you seen their sport of bear baiting?pitting a bear that has been declawed, had all its teeth removed, chained to the ground, they have to "fight" pit bulls

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:55 pm

Who are the 'asians', exactly?

It's a good thing that us enlightened westerners never tolerate or endorse animal cruelty. Those battery hens have a pretty good life when you think about it, and what's wrong with the odd slaughter of a few million cattle as long as its done 'humanely'?

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:06 pm

David wrote:

It's a good thing that us enlightened westerners never tolerate or endorse animal cruelty. Those battery hens have a pretty good life when you think about it, and what's wrong with the odd slaughter of a few million cattle as long as its done 'humanely'?

Just go & pour some more chardonnay in your latte!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:29 pm

Look, I'm not trying to justify what's happening in these slaughterhouse or proofing equivalence between their methods and ours. I'm simply trying to respond to some of these sweeping cultural slurs and generalizations being thrown around in this thread as a result of these reports.

Like the majority of rational, non-religious people, I'm a firm believer in moral relativism. I don't believe human beings think in terms of good or evil, right or wrong, except in the context of the society in which they live. It is not a trait of impoverished, developing societies to express concern for the rights of animals, unless it is already guided by a religious principle (for example, as Tannin mentioned, in India). Human societies in the past have, come to think of it, been more than callous when it comes to human life. It is a simple result of our affluence and removal from the harsh surroundings of third world society that we are able to be so involved with the concept of animal welfare (and even then, as I've pointed out, we are far from civilised ourselves).

These Indonesian (sorry, Tannin - Javanese) workers are engaged in the job of killing animals as efficiently as possible. Now, we already know that halal law doesn't allow for the swift killing that is employed here, and, furthermore, the workers are dealing with cheaper tools and a lower standard of regulations. Some of them may even act in sadistic glee, but I can't say I saw any evidence of that in the footage I saw.

So, what's the solution? Well, if they're dealing with Australian cattle, let's ensure that Australian regulations are enforced to the fullest extent. If halal slaughtering still seems too cruel, ship our cattle elsewhere or do it here. The onus is on us to ensure that our standards are being met, not a third world people who we can dismiss from afar as 'cruel' without understanding all the dynamics involved.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:50 pm

ubby01 wrote:
It's fair to say that everyone on here is against cruelty to animals. The thread has gone beyond that because some people tend to argue the point by going off tangent and attacking race.

Some people just adore their self-righteousness and try and prove it no matter what with personal insults. The last comment on here is uncalled for.

Don't be daft. I was making a joke - went through to the keeper.

It was an obvious case of mixing metaphors - the joke being on me. (all you latte sipping chardonnay drinking... usually made by rt wingers about lefties) Now when you have to deconstruct a joke...

The joke becomes more absurdist because David is 100% right in what he argues. You however missed it.

Think Positive has form on race & religion & on more than one occasion I've brought this to her attention. David did too by arguing logically about "Aussie battery hens".

Next time, take a deep breath & read the post unless you too were making a joke.

Sheesh!

Black_White Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:50 pm

David wrote:

I don't take anyone who owns an iphone seriously.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:07 pm

watt price tully wrote:
David wrote:

Just go & pour some more chardonnay in your latte!

And play with your new iPhone!

Mmm chardonnay Smile

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:08 pm

watt price tully wrote:
ubby01 wrote:
It's fair to say that everyone on here is against cruelty to animals. The thread has gone beyond that because some people tend to argue the point by going off tangent and attacking race.

Some people just adore their self-righteousness and try and prove it no matter what with personal insults. The last comment on here is uncalled for.

It was an obvious case of mixing metaphors - the joke being on me. (all you latte sipping chardonnay drinking... usually made by rt wingers about lefties) Now when you have to deconstruct a joke...

The joke becomes more absurdist because David is 100% right in what he argues. You however missed it.

Think Positive has form on race & religion & on more than one occasion I've brought this to her attention. David did too by arguing logically about "Aussie battery hens".

Next time, take a deep breath & read the post unless you too were making a joke.

Sheesh!

Don't explain and don't complain!
- Leigh Matthews
Wink

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:52 pm

David wrote:
Look, I'm not trying to justify what's happening in these slaughterhouse or proofing equivalence between their methods and ours. I'm simply trying to respond to some of these sweeping cultural slurs and generalizations being thrown around in this thread as a result of these reports.

Like the majority of rational, non-religious people, I'm a firm believer in moral relativism. I don't believe human beings think in terms of good or evil, right or wrong, except in the context of the society in which they live. It is not a trait of impoverished, developing societies to express concern for the rights of animals, unless it is already guided by a religious principle (for example, as Tannin mentioned, in India). Human societies in the past have, come to think of it, been more than callous when it comes to human life. It is a simple result of our affluence and removal from the harsh surroundings of third world society that we are able to be so involved with the concept of animal welfare (and even then, as I've pointed out, we are far from civilised ourselves).

These Indonesian (sorry, Tannin - Javanese) workers are engaged in the job of killing animals as efficiently as possible. Now, we already know that halal law doesn't allow for the swift killing that is employed here, and, furthermore, the workers are dealing with cheaper tools and a lower standard of regulations. Some of them may even act in sadistic glee, but I can't say I saw any evidence of that in the footage I saw.

So, what's the solution? Well, if they're dealing with Australian cattle, let's ensure that Australian regulations are enforced to the fullest extent. If halal slaughtering still seems too cruel, ship our cattle elsewhere or do it here. The onus is on us to ensure that our standards are being met, not a third world people who we can dismiss from afar as 'cruel' without understanding all the dynamics involved.

well said, they are australian cattle, and they should be killed as humanely as possible.

and, if this halal law bullshit means cruelty to animals is "acceptable" then it just gives me another reason to be, how does it go, showing my form!!

your also right about humans being cruel to other humans, and that disgusts me too

and i only buy free range or barn laid eggs, no battery hens for me

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:53 pm

pietillidie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
ubby01 wrote:

Sheesh!

Don't explain and don't complain!
- Leigh Matthews
Wink

im with you leigh!! Laughing

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:58 pm

you know i really dont get this racism thing!

you can call someone a C***, but not a black c***, personally its the c word i find offence!!

as with those who call me a whinging pom, im a pom, but dont call me a whinger!!

seriously, you may think i have "form" but gees, so do certain denominations and races, its awful hard to name them all by name!

i am sure that cruelty goes on in this country, and within workplaces, but our government does not condone it as part of religious rite!

send dead cows, end of story.

(preferably wrapped in bacon fat!)

Last edited by think positive on Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Brenny 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:00 pm

think positive wrote:
you know i really dont get this racism thing!

you can call someone a C***, but not a black c***, persionally its the c word i find offence!!

as with those who call me a whinging pom, im a pom, but dont call me a whinger!!

seriously, you may think i have "form" but gees, so do certain denominations and races, its awful hard to name them all by name!

i am sure that cruelty goes on in this country, and within workplaces, but our government does not condone it as part of religious rite!

sned dead cows, end of story.

(preferably wrapped in bacon fat!)

Epic Meal Time?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:09 pm

at my expense? bring it on!!

as with bull fights and runs, when ever i see someone get gored, i think "go the bull!!"

Brenny 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:14 pm

think positive wrote:
at my expense? bring it on!!

as with bull fights and runs, when ever i see someone get gored, i think "go the bull!!"

Next Time, we eat Nick Reiwoldt!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:16 pm

ooooweeeee, im a female, hes cute, dont say that to me!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7   

Jump to: