Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Anybody catch 4 corners tonight

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Tannin wrote:
David wrote:
Would this stuff be happening over there if Indonesia had state-of-the-art Australian facilities?

When we're done demonising an entire people ...... perhaps you should be a little less judgemental towards those who do.

I alreadsy dealt with this when I said:

Tannin wrote:
STFU until you know what you are talking about!

FFS, find out what the hell is going on over there before you waffle on any more in such complete ignorance.

And, while you are at it, please stop pretending that I said anything about "Indonesian" culture.

Ok, Javanese culture then. Semantics.

I will try to watch the video involved, but I doubt that it will invalidate any of my points. As I said, even gleeful cruelty comes about in certain envrionments for certain reasons. I would far rather look to pragmatic solutions than see the footage as an excuse to condemn an entire ethnic group.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:09 pm

Semantics crap! The Javanese invaded and comquered the surrounding islands, and rule them in much the same way that the Japanese ruled the Greater East Asian Co-prosperity Sphere, or the Spanish ruled large parts of Latin America.

When you carelessly mix up "Javanese" with "Indoensian" you do a massive injustice to the comquered peoples of (for example) Bali, Timor, and West Papua - all of these (and many others) have suffered and in most cases continue to suffer under the totalitarian military rule of the Javanese.

I am not "condemning an ethnic group". I am pointing out that this particular practice of unbelievable uncaring cruelty to animals is part of a larger culture of unbeliveable selfish cruelty to all creatures, human and non-human, and until we deal with the root cause, presumably through negotiation and education rather than outrigfht war, though it might still come to that one day if they don't back off, we won;'t get anywhere. It has to stop.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:54 pm

^ I'm not even going to bother with paranoid fantasy of this nature. I've seen it before from otherwise seemingly normal, rational people.

No. Sorry, "paranoid" is the wrong term. To be "paranoid" is to see terrors that are not there. Denial of the holocaust or the ethnic cleansing mass murders or the Japanese death camps is the opposite condition: to be blind to what is not only there but blindingly obvious. Nothing I can do about it. Sorry.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:06 pm

annewilo wrote:
I knew the story was coming but I had to turn it over as I just couldn't watch the cruelty anymore. All those poor animals and those brutes.

What, the ones who come here to call Australia home?

Saw the footage on Skynews, that's just the way they are. Simple really.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:30 pm

Mate, as regards the Bosnian slaughter, I have very little knowledge of who did all the killing, of why they started digging mass graves and buldozing bodies into them. But it most certainly happened. The trials are still going on, and the evidence, enough documents to fill a hundred trucks when it's all written down, is still piling up.

There was a hell of a lot of blood shed in and around Bosnia. Was it the Serbs, the Croats, both? Both presumably - it isn't as if they don't both have a shocking history of bruutality. But I don't particularly care. It happened. It is history. Apparently, it's more-or-less over. Good.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:33 pm

Alright then.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:25 pm

If we're going to talk ethnic cleansing, pick a country in Africa. Malawi would be one example, even the shona in Zimbabwe did a number on the Ndeble when they first took power.

But we digress.

Interesting, I read a quote that some of the Australian farmers groups who arrange the live exports were aware of some of the "issues" in how the cattle were killed and had been trying to work with them and educate them for some years now.

So it would seem that education is no more the issue than access to facilities. Whether it is total ambivalence, unconscious cruelty or intentional cruelty I couldn't say.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:44 pm

Have you seen the footage? It is NOT unconscious! Could not possibly be unconscious.

See for yourself: http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/775504

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:57 pm

Tannin wrote:
Have you seen the footage? It is NOT unconscious! Could not possibly be unconscious.

See for yourself: http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/775504

I've seen the footage. I don't approve of or condone the behaviour in any way shape or form.

When I say unconscious I literally mean that they may have no understanding or concept that their behaviour is wrong. They aren't intentionally inflicting pain, they just don't care.

However, I'm not trying to suggest that is a fact, just a possibility.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:15 pm

stui magpie wrote:
When I say unconscious I literally mean that they may have no understanding or concept that their behaviour is wrong. They aren't intentionally inflicting pain, they just don't care.

Well, I think that is a pretty reasonable assumption. If you read transcripts of Himmler talking about the Nazi death camps, for example, the whole conversation carries on at a very low-key, banal sort of level. They (the Nazis) just went into work in the normal way and, as a routine part of that, slaughtered 6 million people ... you know ... nothing out of the ordinary.

That is the sort of mindset that seems to be quite common amongst the really extraordinarily evil people of history, probably (and I'm guessing this bit, but not entirely without evidence) much more common than the sort of ranting, raving, frothing at the mouth evil we see in movies. I think quite a few of the well-known domestic mass murderers are a bit the same (you know, the ones who suddenly shoot 10 people in a shopping centre, that sort of thing).

On the whole, this quiet, routine sort of torture and killing it is perhaps even less acceptable than the pop-eyed rage sort of evil.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:52 pm

Less acceptable, maybe. Scarier definitely.

At least with people who get their kicks out of torture, you know what you're dealing with, when you get people who casually inflict pain with zero emotion, that's sort of frightening.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:53 pm

And yet, that's what the reality of abbattoirs is, here in Australia too. You can't tell me that abbattoir workers feel a thing when they slaughter however many hundred cows a day at work. There has to be some sort of desensitisation eventually.

In the holocaust, 6 million people died. Sure, the way it happened to many of them was awful - but in the end, the primary horror is that 6 million people were murdered. The means by which it was done is totally relevant, but secondary. That's how I kind of feel about this. And yes, I've watched the footage now, and yes, it's horrible to see. But it's all in degrees. It's actually kind of absurd that people can talk about killing an animal in cold blood as 'humane'. It only really works as a relative concept - 'humaner' if you like. That's not in any way intended to diminish the suffering of the animals here; but yes, these actions exist on the same scale.

And Tannin, it's semantics mainly because it's a diversion. You could just as easily have replaced every instance of 'Indonesian' with 'Javanese' (and, well, Javanese people are Indonesian, just not necessarily vice versa) in my post and my points would have remained valid. Is it an important distinction to make? Sure, and thanks for the heads up, but let's get to the actual topic at hand: you have condemned an entire culture as 'cruel' and blamed the actions of these animal slaughterers on their cultural background (an accusation which I frankly consider to be pretty tenuous). Even if they're right, these are pretty strong accusations that shouldn't be levelled lightly.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:35 am

Rubbish. You yourself have reviewed the damning evidence of terrible animal cruelty by these people. There is also the small matter of more than 50 years of human rights violations by the Javanese regime: murder, torture, imprisonment without trial, invasion, genocide ... they have the complete set.

I can't really imagine what extra evidence you could have. It seems that you are determined to ignore any and all evidence on this matter. What more proof could you possibly want?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:08 am

For one thing, an acceptance that regimes and people are different things. Few would implicate the Russian people in the actions of Stalin; yes, there can be complicity, but not necessarily.

Last edited by David on Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:38 am

Regime change can change the dominant culture, sure, but where the dominant culture is cruel and brutal, am I supposed to pretend that it isn't? Am I supposed to ignore that filmed evidence? Or the massive death tolls? Or the continuing failure to restrain the army and police in any way that matters? Or the continuing dispossession of other islands by the Javanese?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7   

Jump to: