Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

MM worries about the preseason pace

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MissMagpie_20 Capricorn

BUCKS SIMPLY THE BEST!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 5:56 pm
Post subject: MM worries about the preseason paceReply with quote

Malthouse worried about pre-season pace
Paul Gough
afl.com.au
8:15:49 PM Fri 14 February, 2003

Collingwood coach Mick Malthouse is concerned the new AFL experimental rules for the upcoming Wizard Cup pre-season competition could result in matches being too demanding for players.

Malthouse is particularly concerned at the trial rule which will allow a player to immediately bring the ball back into play after a behind has been scored – rather than have to wait for the goal umpire to wave his flag which gives players vital recovery time during the home and away season.

And this rule coupled with the likely hot conditions throughout the February and March competition has the veteran Pies boss worried.

“The play-on from full-back - that is the main one that will test the players,” he said on Friday as the Magpies prepared for their first intra-club match of 2003.

“It makes it pretty demanding because the ball virtually doesn’t stop whereas in the true AFL season you have a breather then.”

“Whilst I’m in agreement with the AFL with these rules, we’ve just got to be cautious and hope there is a test done on players to see the amount of playing time involved.”

Malthouse said the new rules would mean clubs would have to make greater use of the interchange bench to give players more of a rest during games.

However he queried whether the allowance of only two extra bench players during the Wizard Cup (from four to six) was enough considering players not only had to cope with warmer conditions but also the new rules – which are designed to keep the game moving.

“It will mean more (interchange) rotations but you have still got only 24 players,” he said.

“I would have liked to have seen 26 or perhaps even 28 players for these games because the priority for these early season games – particularly in hot weather – is to protect the players.”

Meanwhile Malthouse warned expectant Magpie fans not to expect too much from the team when it meets Carlton in its first round Wizard Cup match at the Telstra Dome next Sunday night.

Even though the Magpies were grand finalists last season and the Blues finished on the bottom – Malthouse said that meant little in a pre-season game saying that Carlton would have the all-important edge in terms of preparation.

“I remember we played Sydney last year after they had played Essendon the previous week and we thought we were about on par with them until we went into the game and we lost by about 80 points,” Malthouse said.

“So we are behind the eight ball and not only because Carlton played last week (against the ATSIC All-Stars in Darwin whereas Collingwood is yet to play a match in 2003) but because we started (pre-season) training four weeks later than them.”

“But I had no intention of trying to make up four weeks in that period (ahead of the Wizard Cup) because you end up just breaking players down.”

BROOKE'S TECHNO LYRICS ENCYCLOPAEDIA

" Never again will I be broken, never again will someone hurt my soul again. My heart was open, never again will I fall"

***NeVeR aGaIn - MiLk InC.***
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: