Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Bulletin Board Moderation

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:03 am
Post subject: Bulletin Board ModerationReply with quote

In order to make self-management (mainly rostering) a bit easier, the moderation team has made a few changes to the way that the moderation is organised on the Bulletin Board.

You may have noticed that on most of the general forums individual moderator names have been replaced by generic group names. The moderators now work in four groups of six - bbmod1, bbmod2, bbmod3 and bbmod4.

One of the consequences of the change is that the moderators have become rather anonymous. This was not an intended feature and moderation will not be performed anonymously. If moderators need to act in their capacity they will always identify themselves.

For the record the four groups are as follows:

bbmod1
AnthonyC
@shLicuria
BJ
Brown26
ck_nd
cobood
-------------
bbmod2
CQ
Danzy Rocks!!!
dillo_09
foxy
GeorgeQ
Joel
-------------
bbmod3
junkboy75
kristin5
London Dave
MAGFAN8
Magpie Gal 19
magpiemad
-------------
bbmod4
Mags
MargOZ
NICK THE PIE MAN
Northern Pie
stik35
WhyPhilWhy?

[This message has been edited by Mike (edited 18 February 2003).]
Black_White 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:26 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, though you know theres a "but" coming...!
If, during any given week there is an urgent need to contact a mod, how do we do it? Do we send a PM to "BBmod1" or "BBmod2"? Are these links checked/activated when a mod logs on, so that the PM is apparent to them straight away?
If the PM to the generic name is not checked, how doe we know which person to contact?
Sorry Mike, but I'm just trying to make sure that in any urgent time I do not have to burden you with a PM.

-Craig

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:35 pm

Well let me tell you then... to put your mind at rest.

If you pm bbmod1 then every moderator in the bbmod1 group will get an email telling them that there is a pm waiting for them.

Also, email to bbmail1@magpiesnet will go to every member of that group.

The same applies to the other groups.

Black_White 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 4:28 pm

Thank You.

-Craig

Black_White 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:33 pm

Well, as the "bold" has disappeared from our fearless teams names when logged on, best put this up top.

-Craig

mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:51 pm
Post subject: Re: Bulletin Board ModerationReply with quote

Mike wrote:
You may have noticed that on most of the general forums individual moderator names have been replaced by generic group names. The moderators now work in four groups of six - bbmod1, bbmod2, bbmod3 and bbmod4.

I realise I may open myself up to ridicule on this, but surely I'm not the only person who has briefly looked at those new group names at the top of the page and thought "Who the hell is that??" Embarassed
Black_White 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 9:00 pm

No ridicule Mandy, in fact nice to know others are bemused by the secrecy that has enveloped nicks in the past month or so.
We had at one stage "moderator" printed below any person who held this role. and of course, each forum listed the mods on duty, as several forums still do.
Now, all identification has been removed. This topic, which clearly idenyifies the team, was left to flounder on about page 12, and getting deeper every day.
I have yet to find a forum anywhere on the net that has its controllers so well hidden.

-Craig

MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:47 pm

lol whats a matter craigy? not sure who you're whinging to this week?

Quote:
the secrecy that has enveloped nicks in the past month or so

hardly a secret when the list is posted for all to see. must be a slow week if this is the best you can come up with. maybe you should lay off the X-files for a while m8, there's no conspiracy here.

Black_White 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:48 pm

Hmmmmmm Tess, any chance I can have that in plain English?

-Craig

Lorelei Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:50 pm

... I don't get what the big deal is?

*thinks I am missing something here*

Jen

**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**

Floreat Pica
Black_White 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:53 pm

Very good MM, but it's not posted for all to see. It's buried unless someone brings it to the top.
As for Whinging, well, depends on your definition. To me this is just helping the community know who they deal with, as you can see, others also are bewildered by the lack of identification.
Rest assured, I'll continue to police the police!

-Craig

MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:04 pm

Quote:
I'll continue to police the police!
and just who appointed you to this exulted position? I seem to recall you quit the moderation team, whats a matter do you miss it? seudo moderating is sooooo easy, just sit back and pick the shit out of everything. things change, new system, more functions and our names not being in bold has got your back up!
Quote:
Well, as the "bold" has disappeared from our fearless teams names when logged on, best put this up top.

lol time to get a life m8
Very Happy

Black_White 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:52 pm

Got a life mate, policing the police..........

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:06 am

Yes Mandy it's good isn't it that the moderators need to play such a small role in the running of the Bulletin Board that you don't even recognise their names. On some boards you can't miss them... and you could never forget their names (I'm not referring to any Collingwood, or other team boards).

And yes Craig, the moderators have started working in groups, but that is a result of changing the system to make it workable rather than any desire for 'secrecy'. A couple of months ago I had to have another look at the amount of time I spent on this site and as a result of that I made a lot of changes. I decided to pull out of moderating and as much of the administration as I could and leave it up to the team that was in place to do the job. One of the jobs that was time consuming was changing the moderators over at the end of each shift - it used to take me half an hour every week just to change the settings to bring in a new shift - and I knew what I was doing, it wasn't an easy system to hand over to someone new who would have to be taught. So I divided the moderators up into 4 teams so that all that had to be done at the beginning of each new shift was change one team name in 5 forums, rather than 6 individual names in 5 forums. Whenever moderators moderate any post, which is very rarely, they always identify themselves - strange behaviour for people hiding behind team names.

We've never used ranks on this site; everybody is unlabelled from the newest member to the oldest and that has always been deliberate. Yes, the moderators were labelled at one time for a short while (a couple of weeks) when I inadvertantly turned on the labels while making changes to the system. It took me a while to realise that I'd done that and they were turned off again as soon as I realised what I'd done.

The recent change in Bulletin Board software was also a part of the effort to make the site less demanding on me.

As usual, your continuing support and understanding is appreciated.
Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 10:14 am

Well you've got my support. FFS people, take a step back and think why you are here. Some of us will have only 1 thing in common (the pies) and some of us will have many things in common. This board is here for our pleasure and the mods make this possible.

To be honest I couldn't care less if the mods weren't even known at all. To question how this bb is run is to take for granted the fact we are lucky enough to have Nicks. Grow up people and let the mods moderate, the admins administer how they like and enjoy the fact that the board exists. If you dont' like how its setup then make your own bb and run it how you think it should be run. Good job Mike and the mods, I'm happy with however you wish to run this board because I feel privaleged to have the opportunity to share my thoughts with other pies fans.

Apologies to the many on here whom this post does not apply to.

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: